Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #44,521 of 150,973
Maybe I read too much into it, but it seemed like a not so hidden jab at vinyl. The question seems disingenuous. Why don't people listen to cylindrical records? Because they are not made anymore, and similar technology in LP Vinyl records still are, and offer the same benefits and none of the limitations of cylindrical records.
You will find "Vinyl vs Silver disc" along with "Hi-Gain or Lo-gain" in the compendium of audio forum dust-ups... I would be interested how the Smithsonian is preserving those early cylinder recording, I am betting they are ripping them to Digital...

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #44,524 of 150,973
Maybe I read too much into it, but it seemed like a not so hidden jab at vinyl. The question seems disingenuous. Why don't people listen to cylindrical records? Because they are not made anymore, and similar technology in LP Vinyl records still are, and offer the same benefits and none of the limitations of cylindrical records.
Vinyl disks were on the brink of "not being made anymore", yet they were resurrected. Why not cylinders?

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #44,525 of 150,973
alpovs made no comment about vinyl versus digital. All he wondered is why people listening to vinyl are using flat records and not cylinder records.

To try and treat the question seriously, the LP was the peak of electro-mechanical (or mechanical) recording. We don't listen to wax cylinders the same reason we don't listen to 78s (except for historical recordings). They have inferior sound quality.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #44,526 of 150,973
the LP was the peak of electro-mechanical (or mechanical) recording. We don't listen to wax cylinders the same reason we don't listen to 78s (except for historical recordings). They have inferior sound quality.
And don't forget, LP stands for "Long Playing". A 12-inch 78 only holds 3½ minutes per side.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #44,527 of 150,973
alpovs made no comment about vinyl versus digital. All he wondered is why people listening to vinyl are using flat records and not cylinder records.

I can't speak for others but I play flat records and not cylinders because that's what I have.

JC

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #44,530 of 150,973
Please, listen to a good analog system and then post again your opinion.

"Digital era" improved many aspects of music reproduction, but not in 2 basic aspects: sound quality and reproduction experience.

In the sound quality aspect i repeat, listen to a good analog system. Don't suspect ... do it.
And in the experience aspect, some can agree, some don't, but the experience it's different and can be more close to the artist work.

Digital it's better in all the other aspects, but i still listen to Vinyl when i want that experience .... and i don't have less sound quality.

Only mi opinion but maybe adds another point of view about it, not a right or wrong fact.
i did and can sound fantastic indeed but I can't deal with the cleaning/caring hassle anymore I do miss the beautiful cover art work though

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #44,532 of 150,973
While we are kind of on the subject of retro gear, I wonder why in the era of digital records people come back to disk phonograph records a.k.a. vinyl but not to cylinder phonograph records? They might sound just as good/bad if not better/worse.
If I understand you correctly, the question is why discs and not cylinders...

IIRC, the cylinders, when standardised by Edison, spun at 160rpm, and had a track density of 100 tracks per inch. That yielded a playback time of up to a whopping 2.5 minutes, and as such, they were marketed as 2-minute cylinders.

I’d say that’s why we didn’t return to cylinders.

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #44,534 of 150,973
Vinyl disks were on the brink of "not being made anymore", yet they were resurrected. Why not cylinders?

Cylinders sound quality it's worst, Vinyl sound quality was not improved by digital. Simple.

i did and can sound fantastic indeed but I can't deal with the cleaning/caring hassle anymore I do miss the beautiful cover art work though

Well, as i post originally, Vinyl can have "drawbacks" for someone that don't see / don't like the other benefits. The same happens to me with digital downloads ... ripping / labelling / organizing / level the volume / blah blah

For me the best of digital it's the streaming plataforms.

Always my opinion and no "right or wrong". We can see other points of view on things ... we'll learn more. If i only listen to people that think like me, i'll always be "right".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back