Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #44,506 of 150,539
Thread is slow so ...

Last evening I re-discovered how well the synergy is with late 1960s / early 1970s rock & roll and my Grado SR 325e headphones out of some Schiit.
The chain = Cambridge CXC -> Coax -> Gungnir MB -> RCA cable -> Asgard 2 (low gain) -> Grado SR 325e
I think the Asgard 2 and Grado make a nice pairing.

In particular I enjoyed some Cream, Rolling Stones, Traffic and best of all Janis Joplin with Big Brother & the Holding Co.

YMMV,
r2
Which Traffic album?

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #44,508 of 150,539
Thread is slow so ...

Last evening I re-discovered how well the synergy is with late 1960s / early 1970s rock & roll and my Grado SR 325e headphones out of some Schiit.
The chain = Cambridge CXC -> Coax -> Gungnir MB -> RCA cable -> Asgard 2 (low gain) -> Grado SR 325e
I think the Asgard 2 and Grado make a nice pairing. Edit: at least for classic R&R.

In particular I enjoyed some Cream, Rolling Stones, Traffic and best of all Janis Joplin with Big Brother & the Holding Co.

YMMV,
r2

+1 for Cheap Thrills. I'm still playing the original copy I bought back in the early 70s, and it still has silent surfaces.

JC

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #44,510 of 150,539
While we are kind of on the subject of retro gear, I wonder why in the era of digital records people come back to disk phonograph records a.k.a. vinyl but not to cylinder phonograph records? They might sound just as good/bad if not better/worse.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #44,511 of 150,539
Terminal 3 (United) at SFO often has exhibitions on the corridor from security to the main hub. This one has some cool vacuum tube gear from the 50s.
I've seen some very high quality exhibits at SFO, including this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2234#post-14292029
https://www.flysfo.com/museum/exhibitions/maneki-neko-japans-beckoning-cat

Just unfortunate when they are past security and you can only see them by going through TSA with a boarding pass.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #44,512 of 150,539
Mr. Fantasy, but I was skipping around on the songs, did not listen to the entire disk. Too much other stuff to get to :)
Albums must be listened to from beginning to end. They are to enjoyed like a multi course meal.

What you did is the music lover's equivalent of snacking.

20 minutes of BonyM for you.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #44,513 of 150,539
Albums must be listened to from beginning to end. They are to enjoyed like a multi course meal.

What you did is the music lover's equivalent of snacking.

20 minutes of BonyM for you.

That is harsh.
I Love snacks :wink:
However, multi course meals are great too.

Some of both last night. Sometimes the snacks lead to the meal.

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #44,514 of 150,539
Mar 3, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #44,515 of 150,539
While we are kind of on the subject of retro gear, I wonder why in the era of digital records people come back to disk phonograph records a.k.a. vinyl but not to cylinder phonograph records? They might sound just as good/bad if not better/worse.

This article [1] showed up in one of my news feeds yesterday. I am unfamiliar with the turntable and speakers but the ARC SP-3A and D-150 are near and dear. Back in the mid 80's I worked at a small High End shop in Leesburg, VA called High C Stereo. ARC was our main line of electronics and we had a fair number of SP-3 preamps come through our doors for re-tubing and repair. One of the highlights of my time working there was when a customer brought in a D-150 recently upgraded with new tubes and caps by the founder of ARC, William Zane Johnson. It still resides in my memory as one of the best amps I have ever heard.

[1] https://cnet.co/2tKL8ec

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #44,516 of 150,539

Please, listen to a good analog system and then post again your opinion.

"Digital era" improved many aspects of music reproduction, but not in 2 basic aspects: sound quality and reproduction experience.

In the sound quality aspect i repeat, listen to a good analog system. Don't suspect ... do it.
And in the experience aspect, some can agree, some don't, but the experience it's different and can be more close to the artist work.

Digital it's better in all the other aspects, but i still listen to Vinyl when i want that experience .... and i don't have less sound quality.

Only mi opinion but maybe adds another point of view about it, not a right or wrong fact.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #44,517 of 150,539
Not too far from reality...

Tubes, MASSIVE POWER (class A of course) :wink:, and stereo!

These are:
KLHTwentyOne21RadioFront.jpg

restored-1960-klh-model-8-fm-tube-radio_1_efab76d9c50ae0dfcda2146d6151b35c.jpg

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #44,518 of 150,539

Please, listen to a good analog system and then post again your opinion.

"Digital era" improved many aspects of music reproduction, but not in 2 basic aspects: sound quality and reproduction experience.

In the sound quality aspect i repeat, listen to a good analog system. Don't suspect ... do it.
And in the experience aspect, some can agree, some don't, but the experience it's different and can be more close to the artist work.

Digital it's better in all the other aspects, but i still listen to Vinyl when i want that experience .... and i don't have less sound quality.

Only mi opinion but maybe adds another point of view about it, not a right or wrong fact.

alpovs made no comment about vinyl versus digital. All he wondered is why people listening to vinyl are using flat records and not cylinder records.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #44,519 of 150,539
alpovs made no comment about vinyl versus digital. All he wondered is why people listening to vinyl are using flat records and not cylinder records.
Maybe I read too much into it, but it seemed like a not so hidden jab at vinyl. The question seems disingenuous. Why don't people listen to cylindrical records? Because they are not made anymore, and similar technology in LP Vinyl records still are, and offer the same benefits and none of the limitations of cylindrical records.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #44,520 of 150,539

Users who are viewing this thread

Back