Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #43,981 of 150,843
A question for the tech people. I want a wall wart or table top ANALOG power supply. It needs to be US 110 v AC to 9v DC 1 amp or greater. I find many power supplies that say switching. Know those aren't analog. Many just have specs including efficiency input range etc. Is there one spec that signals it is an analog power supply?
Thanks
Example: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-9-10v/
There's cheaper out there, but you'll have to search around.

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #43,982 of 150,843
Feb 18, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #43,983 of 150,843
Jumped into the Qobuz trial this weekend. Before I could do that, I had to reinstall max2play on my pi. For whatever reason it would never consistently think there was internet even though it connected to the wifi... Since my digital music was on a USB drive connected to the pi, that was never an issue before.

Anyways, download the latest version, set it up, it works perfectly. Sign up for the trial on Qobuz, set up LMS with the Qobuz addon and...

Not bad. I definitely see value for listening to music I do not have yet, but am interested in (for example: listened to Jeff Goldblum's album last night). It could also be good for things that are not available on vinyl. Still on the fence is I will actually use it enough to merit the cost (been looking at a lot of my monthly costs recently and weighing them out). At the very least, I will buy digital downloads for them.

I might also try it more at work. We will see (though I dislike my phone's headphone out and the usb out of this phone is terrible, so the Fulla does not work with it).

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #43,984 of 150,843
Thanks everyone for the linear power supply pointers. It is for my Koss/Masdrop ESP -95X electrostatic headphones. Getting a power supply in th $300 range doesn't make much sense. Can buy a used Stax amp for close to that much. Might consider trying to build a power supply.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #43,985 of 150,843
Thanks everyone for the linear power supply pointers. It is for my Koss/Masdrop ESP -95X electrostatic headphones. Getting a power supply in th $300 range doesn't make much sense. Can buy a used Stax amp for close to that much. Might consider trying to build a power supply.
What are the specs on the power supply you want to replace?

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #43,986 of 150,843
What are the specs on the power supply you want to replace?
US 120v ac in - 9v 1amp dc out.

The Koss supplied wall wart is a switching power supply. In the Head-Fi Koss ESP thread people reported a sonic improvement using an off the shelf linear supply. The power supply appears no longer available.

Built the power supplies for the Pass clones. They were big parts but relatively simple. Transformer, storage caps, coils, and full wave bridge rectifier. But with headphones, power supply noise has to be very low. This might require a more sophisticated approach.

This all comes back to Schiit. Heard the Koss at a Head-Fi meet. My favorite headphone at the show. Owner was running a Yggdrasil v1 and a Stax electrostat amp with adapter cable for Koss. I've been chasing that sound for 2 years. Don't have a Yggdrasil - yet. Nor a Stax amp. Baby steps.

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #43,988 of 150,843
As it is in the thread you mentioned I guess you read this already (?)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/koss-esp-950-thread.581491/page-80#post-10005693

(the Linear plugpacks I've 'modified' weren't regulated as standard.)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #43,989 of 150,843
New output selector button on the rag 2 is amazing. Output selection is the function I use the most so this mean the only thing I found annoying is fixed.
As for stacking difficulties with the yggy. You could always sell an IKEA style rack designed to fit 1x rag 2 on the bottom shelf and that stacks with more of the same racks if you need It. Flat packed and including a hex key.

also... thread Is a mess and impossible to follow. its 5 people talking non schiit **** that should have been on another thread. most people reading this thread are probably not users so I'm surprised its allowed to continue. if memory doesn't serve me wrong I think Jason tried stopping it once but those 5 people became all pissy about it so it was allowed to continue. You guys are lucky that Jason is a merciful god(god of this blog)
Here is the Rag thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-ragnarok-amplifier.731221/page-96

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #43,990 of 150,843
also... thread Is a mess and impossible to follow. its 5 people talking non schiit **** that should have been on another thread. most people reading this thread are probably not users so I'm surprised its allowed to continue. if memory doesn't serve me wrong I think Jason tried stopping it once but those 5 people became all pissy about it so it was allowed to continue. You guys are lucky that Jason is a merciful god(god of this blog)
Maybe you should try some forums in the autocratic controlled countries like China, Russia and Turkey.
Would be like home for you.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #43,991 of 150,843
Uh, but it does make sense.
The power supply makes or brakes the thing.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #43,992 of 150,843
New output selector button on the rag 2 is amazing. Output selection is the function I use the most so this mean the only thing I found annoying is fixed.
As for stacking difficulties with the yggy. You could always sell an IKEA style rack designed to fit 1x rag 2 on the bottom shelf and that stacks with more of the same racks if you need It. Flat packed and including a hex key.

Yeah, it's very annoying. That's why I use the ignore button very liberally.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #43,993 of 150,843
So after a few months I share my Vali2 experience with you. I used it as a pre and headphone amp with significant tube rolling (sovtek/siemens/dario/phillips/unknown russian/GE/)
Though it gives a lovely 'colour' as a pre amp (more a tube buffer) and sounds okay. Is my 2channel set-up performing better without, I must use my BMC2 as DAC and volume controller. Like this there is more control, imaging/stoundstage improved, low end is much better. But I liked the 'tube' flavour but not enough to keep it in. Rolling the tubes made nuances (but clear ones) in the sound. Two tubes highlighted themselves for different reasons. The GE was very micro-phonic, sounded OK with acoustic low volume content but couldn't go wild. Destiny: reserve tube. The siemens clearly tightest with bass but sometimes I noticed distortion, overall not convinced. Best overall impression was the Phillips miniwatt, I would say most musical though very close to the Dario's. The tubes behaved equal when listening on my HD-6xx. Now I made the following enjoyable set-up in my office: ipad or iphone -> fulla2 -> vali2 with Philips miniwatt in low gain -> HD-6xx = very nice tunes indeed. Lovely tube experience!

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #43,994 of 150,843
I recommend that anyone who does not like the friendly, free-flowing nature of this thread to go hang out elsewhere, maybe in the Sound-Science area. :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back