1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. jimmers
    After testing a tube to meet specs. the matching is done for the plate (anode) current Ia, JA in this case, (mA), and transconductance, S in this case (mS - millisiemens - siemens is the inverse of Ohm), transconductance is change of plate current per change in grid voltage. ( the suffixes 1, 2 are for the two halves of the dual triode)
    Matching is done to within 1mA and 0.1 mS by some suppliers.
    "The right tubes are for the differential voltage gain stage. The left tubes are for the cathode follower output stage"
    The differential voltage gain stage would be the input stage that increases the (differential) input signal voltage (gain), the cathode follower output stage would be an output buffer.

Edited for spelling - my Razer Black Widow Cherry switch key board has decided to double up some characters sometimes :angry:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    liamo likes this.
  2. Roy G. Biv
    Been out of town for several days and just heard of the passing of The Toad. We traded a few PMs and he seemed like a great guy.
    RIP.

3. Ripper2860
    Sad news. The Toad seemed like someone I would have enjoyed having a beer or three with. RIP.

4. FLTWS
    Agreed.

ScubaMan2017 and Rensek like this.
  5. JamminVMI
    Correct on both counts.

6. barondla
    I also live in the boonies of midwest USA. Wish my DSL achieved 10mb sec. When everything is perfect I get 5-6mb. I download hi res albums at night. Rarely do all the album tracks download without a hitch. The download launcher has to reload those songs in the morning. My supplier's technical difficulty page says to only call if the internet is off more than 15 min.

With my internet speed it only makes sense to download an album once. Downloading favorites over and over is inefficient. So I use Spotify for discovering new music. Buy what I like.

FrivolsListener and sam6550a like this.
  7. Rensek
    I also live in the boonies, but thankfully my rural co-op has their Schiit together. They put in fiber-optic in almost all of their towns over the last 5-10 years. I currently have 30mbs down/15 mbs up. Gig speeds available if you want to pay for it. I feel very fortunate for that, even if I am paying 95 a month for internet and local landline I don't use.

8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    They towed her sky sled.

9. johnjen
    If that's anything like trying to herd cats, then that sled may have gone in every direction but the one you wanted…
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

JJ

Robert Padgett, Rensek and US Blues like this.
  10. Ableza
    It means the two tubes on the left should be a pair and the two tubes on the right should be a pair. Put simply, "differential voltage" gain means those valves are part of the circuit that increases the signal voltage from the line level input up to amplifier levels, and the "cathode follower" stage is part of the final output circuit as either a buffer or the final "boost" to drive the speakers.

11. golfbravobravo
    I actually like the Russian tubes, and preferred them over the TungSols.

Robert Padgett likes this.
  12. golfbravobravo
    Really, is that a problem if you get the tubes mixed up :)))))))

Robert Padgett and Paladin79 like this.
  13. golfbravobravo
    I have read ups a bit on both phrases and and a little (a very little) wiser.

"Each has a hand-written note with e.g. JA1 = 10.6/S1=2.5 JA2 = 8.8 / S2=2.3"

So I should be looking to match the JAs on two tubes or the Gas and the Ss?

Cheers

14. Ableza
    That's why there are options. :) FWIW I also don't like Tung Sol tubes. I prefer Sylvanias for 6SN7, Gold Lion or Amperex for 6922 family, RCA Clear Tops for 12AU7...

15. Ableza
    It's not if you don't mind constantly buying new tubes or new gear. :wink: