Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #43,621 of 149,297
If what I have read and heard from several sources is true, the latest rendition of the Bifrost Multibit sounds very much like a single ended Gumby (A2). It is supposed to be noticeably better than the Modi Multibit now and sound like it is in the Gumby/ Yggdrasil family. There has been no official update(s) announced by Schiit...but it is clear that a new Bifrost Multibit has been rolled into production and sounds much better. I just ordered one to replace my Eitr/Modi Multibit combo to sit under my Lyr 3. I hope to have it Saturday or Monday.

Oooooh. I did not know that a 'secret' revision to Bimby may be in play. I would love to hear your impressions once received -- especially in comparison to EITR and Modi Multibit, as I too have that setup. If your listening seems to confirm the rumors, it may be that my wish has already been granted!! :D

Thanks!!

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #43,623 of 149,297
If what I have read and heard from several sources is true, the latest rendition of the Bifrost Multibit sounds very much like a single ended Gumby (A2). It is supposed to be noticeably better than the Modi Multibit now and sound like it is in the Gumby/ Yggdrasil family. There has been no official update(s) announced by Schiit...but it is clear that a new Bifrost Multibit has been rolled into production and sounds much better. I just ordered one to replace my Eitr/Modi Multibit combo to sit under my Lyr 3. I hope to have it Saturday or Monday.
Modi Multibit and Bitfrost Multibit share the same DAC chip, analog stage processor and digital filters. They are believed to sound the same, the only difference being the Bitfrost is upgradable (USB5 etc.). They both had a silent firmware/filters update to include dithering etc. some time ago. You could have sent your Modi Multibit for a firmware upgrade. $35 or so I think.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #43,624 of 149,297
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #43,625 of 149,297
It's actually cheaper to make a discrete R-2R DAC than using those very expensive Analog Device chips, even as I'm sure Schitt get a good discount on them....
I read that for discrete R-2R DACs one needs to built in some redundancy (maybe extra resistors) and some logic to use that redundancy when the main resistors fail or go out of spec. I don't know how resistors can fail or even go out of spec significantly. If it's not a trade secret, do you have this in your products? Is it really necessary?

I think maybe those AD chips have this redundancy built-in. Or maybe they specifically incorporated the partial Kelvin DAC to have this kind of redundancy. The Kelvin DAC seems to drive the lower 6 bits while the higher 14 bits are on the R-2R ladder. If the R-2R ladder starts to fail unpredictably the DAC will still function as intended although not as precise.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #43,626 of 149,297
Modi Multibit and Bitfrost Multibit share the same DAC chip, analog stage processor and digital filters. They are believed to sound the same, the only difference being the Bitfrost is upgradable (USB5 etc.). They both had a silent firmware/filters update to include dithering etc. some time ago. You could have sent your Modi Multibit for a firmware upgrade. $35 or so I think.

That's old conventional wisdom. At least three different people I trust, a couple who have special access, have said there is a new Bifrost Multibit that does not sound like the Modi Multibit and has more sonically in common with the Gumby A2.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #43,627 of 149,297
I read that for discrete R-2R DACs one needs to built in some redundancy (maybe extra resistors) and some logic to use that redundancy when the main resistors fail or go out of spec. I don't know how resistors can fail or even go out of spec significantly. If it's not a trade secret, do you have this in your products? Is it really necessary?

Never heard that.... Resistors only really fails if overloaded, which they're not in a typical R-2R network.... I don't have spares in my designs.

I think maybe those AD chips have this redundancy built-in. Or maybe they specifically incorporated the partial Kelvin DAC to have this kind of redundancy. The Kelvin DAC seems to drive the lower 6 bits while the higher 14 bits are on the R-2R ladder. If the R-2R ladder starts to fail unpredictably the DAC will still function as intended although not as precise.

Chips often have redundant circuit as the manufacturing process have random defects, that way you get more good chips out of a wafer. But not often in analog chips.

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #43,629 of 149,297
Hey guys, just a final reminder that I'll be at the Schiitr from 6-10PM tonight for the meet, and with the first article Sol turntable.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #43,630 of 149,297
Hey guys, just a final reminder that I'll be at the Schiitr from 6-10PM tonight for the meet, and with the first article Sol turntable.

Jason, Pictures or it didn't happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

For all of us Schiitheads that aren't in Cali.

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #43,632 of 149,297
Get Your Schiit Right - I am Balder NOT Baldr, and my piont is that the gear in question is over my budget, hence keep spliting hair - could'n care less (Jävla Puckon!)
Welcome @Balder, sorry that they confused you with Mike.

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #43,633 of 149,297

Will await your verdict Scott !

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #43,634 of 149,297

I’ll be looking forward to hearing your impressions too.

Would someone who is going to the meet tonight be willing to ask about this?

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #43,635 of 149,297
I’ll be looking forward to hearing your impressions too.

Would someone who is going to the meet tonight be willing to ask about this?

Based on what USPS says, I should be receiving the DAC tomorrow.

Yes, ask Jason about the the Bifrost Multibit and please someone post photos of Sol!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back