Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #43,651 of 149,298
@hearditontheX asks:
"Am I missing something, but how is the motor mounted/aligned relative to the other spinning bits?"

Nah, it just sits on the same surface as the "plinth", move it around to adjust speed (a little)
Maybe there will be a tool/template to ensure proper placement. I would think a certain amount of tension is required for the belt to work correctly.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #43,652 of 149,298
That's a nice looking mechanism for dragging a rock across a piece of plastic. The head shell looks like one from a Phillips TT I had back in the day.

What else happened at the meet? Any nuggets of goodness from Mr. Stoddard?

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #43,653 of 149,298
Speed is a factor of the size of the pulleys, not spacing..
The difference in tension either side of the drive pulley means the strain of the belt on the drive pulley is different to that of the belt around the platter, as you change the motor distance to the platter you change ratio of those two strains which makes a (small) difference in platter speed.
People who have used turntables with separate motor pods have found this to be the case, if you don’t have perfect pitch you adjust the speed with the assistance of a stroboscope disc or some similar method.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #43,654 of 149,298
Hurry up and Wait.

The first production SOL is shown, and a chorus of critics look at several photographs, and have already found fault with the appearance and design.
One might think that this was a "first try" rather than a production model, and none of these concerns were as obvious to Jason or Mike.

Really?

Does anyone not think that this is the result of trial and error, different castings, and changes as issues arose?
I trust that Mike and Jason have noticed everything people have raised, and made the decisions based on producing the best Turntable for the projected $699 price point.

Is it a $30,000 VPI? No.
It is the Schiit SOL, and I am sure if properly set-up, and using a cartridge of your choice, will uphold the tradition of quality/value that we applaud in other offerings.

And if you pay for one, and you have an issue, there will be plenty of time to discuss.
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Three pictures, and 3,000 words...

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #43,655 of 149,298
I can't believe people are already complaining about the Sol......

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #43,657 of 149,298
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but to me it looks pretty much the same as the one that appeared in a kinda old stream Schiit did last year (IIRC). I like the design, it's consistent with the minimalist approach they've shown through their entire catalog.

Sol is not for me cause I went to digital land long time ago and I'm not coming back from there, but I wish them the best. I'm pretty sure once the reviews begin to appear, they'll put an emphasis in what it's already their trademark: a great performance/cost ratio.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #43,659 of 149,298
Also, I’m surprised they actually used an arrow shaft for the tone arm. Maybe I can get set up as a supplier. I throw away hundreds of ‘cut offs’ that could be used as tone arms.
Does that mean we can get more decorative tonearms? Something like grinning skulls running down the length or use arrow wraps? Flames would be good, or rolls of TP :wink:

The aftermarket possibilities are staggering....

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #43,660 of 149,298
That's old conventional wisdom. At least three different people I trust, a couple who have special access, have said there is a new Bifrost Multibit that does not sound like the Modi Multibit and has more sonically in common with the Gumby A2.

Okay, I received the Bifrost Multibit and have had it warming up for just over an hour now. It's no Yggdrasil but it is certainly no Modi Multibit in a bigger case either. I am going to let it warm up and play for the rest of the day before I make any more observations. But, I will say it is already better than the Eitr/Modi Multibit combination I had.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #43,662 of 149,298
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but to me it looks pretty much the same as the one that appeared in a kinda old stream Schiit did last year (IIRC). I like the design, it's consistent with the minimalist approach they've shown through their entire catalog.

Sol is not for me cause I went to digital land long time ago and I'm not coming back from there, but I wish them the best. I'm pretty sure once the reviews begin to appear, they'll put an emphasis in what it's already their trademark: a great performance/cost ratio.

It looks similar enough to the prototype that we saw and listened to in the Shittr about a year ago. It sound excellent, looks YMMV.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #43,663 of 149,298
It looks similar enough to the prototype that we saw and listened to in the ****tr about a year ago. It sound excellent, looks YMMV.

Pretty much.

The basic turntable is the same.

The HUGE difference with this one is that it is using real die-cast parts (not investment-cast plinth and machined platter), and real production parts made by the same company that will be making the thousands of production pieces, rather than one-offs hand-made by Conrad. Also, it has the on-the-fly VTA feature, an integrated I/O pod, a power switch, a finished motor housing, and a small detail change on the cueing pod, as well as a different angle between the outrigger pods.

And yep, this is a minimalist, industrial design. We understand that isn't for everyone.

And yep, we get it, it would be cool to have speed controls, 1/4" thick stamped steel bases, dust covers, record clamps, record weights, multiple motor options, and a whole lot of other things. But let us walk before we run. Or maybe crawl before we teleport. Because to expect that we introduce a whole ecosystem of parts at the same time we introduce our most mechanically complex product is, well, a little beyond the pale.

Beyond that, thank you to everyone who came to the first Schiitrmeet! Next one we'll have something else new to preview (and production Aegirs), but you'll probably know what that one is by then...

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #43,664 of 149,298
Okay, I received the Bifrost Multibit and have had it warming up for just over an hour now. It's no Yggdrasil but it is certainly no Modi Multibit in a bigger case either. I am going to let it warm up and play for the rest of the day before I make any more observations. But, I will say it is already better than the Eitr/Modi Multibit combination I had.

And you can replace the USB board when Schiit introduces their new USB receiver while the Modi Multibit is not upgradeable.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #43,665 of 149,298
And you can replace the USB board when Schiit introduces their new USB receiver while the Modi Multibit is not upgradeable.

Exactly!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back