Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #43,666 of 149,156
I can't believe people are already complaining about the Sol......
Then you must be new to this whole 'internet' thing. :poop:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #43,667 of 149,156
Okay, I received the Bifrost Multibit and have had it warming up for just over an hour now. It's no Yggdrasil but it is certainly no Modi Multibit in a bigger case either. I am going to let it warm up and play for the rest of the day before I make any more observations. But, I will say it is already better than the Eitr/Modi Multibit combination I had.

Will you be doing any headphone comparisons ? Interested in your dac impressions with your headphone rig.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #43,668 of 149,156
To be honest, after long wait, i expected better looks & design, at least same as other schiit products have.
But hope it sounds fantastic, cause i want one!

I've always thought Schiits first goal on the Sol project was to to make the best sounding turntable they could, within their means. From the blurb of Conrads paper that Jason shared, it seems to me they only talk about ways to make the record player sound better. I'm sure it will be am amazing cost/performance ratio product for the folks who buy it.

I might be able to justify buying it by telling my wife it's art for the basement family area. It looks good in my book, as long as it sounds good.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #43,669 of 149,156
If the final price will be 699 usd ... It's an outstanding turntable.

The tonearm (size, pívot, material, etc), vta on the fly, the platter, the plinth ... in the SOL price tag? Can you compare SOL with an entry level Pro-ject?

People that really understand some thing about turntables are the target for SOL, people that don't care about a plug & play entry level machine but also don't want to spend 1500 usd or more.

HiFi lovers needs this kind of products.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #43,670 of 149,156
The triangle feet will make for a sort of weird dust cover, but it might look cool. Exposed wiring can easily be wrapped for anyone who will display this next to things that look more finished.

In the end, all that matters is that it sounds better than its price point, that's the whole point of the product. Can't wait to see people throw carts at it, and start in with the a/b comparisons to the regas, the pro-ject stuff, all of it. Should be an interesting few months.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #43,671 of 149,156
Then you must be new to this whole 'internet' thing. :confused:

I've been on the Internet since before it was the Internet....so no.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #43,672 of 149,156
Will you be doing any headphone comparisons ? Interested in your dac impressions with your headphone rig.

No. I have my only pair of headphones (HD650) that I use only when I have to. Most of the time I will be using the Bifrost in a 2 channel nearfield setup. My comparison will be to the Eitr/Modi Multibit setup I had previously. Even that comparison is not going to be some massive write up.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #43,674 of 149,156
No. I have my only pair of headphones (HD650) that I use only when I have to. Most of the time I will be using the Bifrost in a 2 channel nearfield setup. My comparison will be to the Eitr/Modi Multibit setup I had previously. Even that comparison is not going to be some massive write up.
How old is/was your Modi Multibit? I suppose it didn't have the updated firmware. I wish someone could compare the new Bitfrost with the new Modi Multibit.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #43,676 of 149,156
How old is/was your Modi Multibit? I suppose it didn't have the updated firmware. I wish someone could compare the new Bitfrost with the new Modi Multibit.

It's an older Modi Multibit. But, I have heard the new one in my setup so I have heard the difference....which is really quite subtle. The difference I am hearing with the Bifrost Multibit is a much more significant difference.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #43,677 of 149,156
With what speakers? I imagine not the Double Impact in your signature.

No. I am using Swan M200MKIII powered monitors in my office.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #43,678 of 149,156
That's a nice looking mechanism for dragging a rock across a piece of plastic.

Thank you, that is truly humorous.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #43,679 of 149,156
A rock is made up of two or more minerals.....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back