1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. alpovs
    Modi Multibit and Bitfrost Multibit share the same DAC chip, analog stage processor and digital filters. They are believed to sound the same, the only difference being the Bitfrost is upgradable (USB5 etc.). They both had a silent firmware/filters update to include dithering etc. some time ago. You could have sent your Modi Multibit for a firmware upgrade. $35 or so I think.

ScubaMan2017 and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  2. sam6550a
    The manual states that the 5V power supply is included.

ScubaMan2017 and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  3. alpovs
    I read that for discrete R-2R DACs one needs to built in some redundancy (maybe extra resistors) and some logic to use that redundancy when the main resistors fail or go out of spec. I don't know how resistors can fail or even go out of spec significantly. If it's not a trade secret, do you have this in your products? Is it really necessary?

I think maybe those AD chips have this redundancy built-in. Or maybe they specifically incorporated the partial Kelvin DAC to have this kind of redundancy. The Kelvin DAC seems to drive the lower 6 bits while the higher 14 bits are on the R-2R ladder. If the R-2R ladder starts to fail unpredictably the DAC will still function as intended although not as precise.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  4. winders
    That's old conventional wisdom. At least three different people I trust, a couple who have special access, have said there is a new Bifrost Multibit that does not sound like the Modi Multibit and has more sonically in common with the Gumby A2.

Ripper2860 and barondla like this.
  5. soekris
    Never heard that.... Resistors only really fails if overloaded, which they're not in a typical R-2R network.... I don't have spares in my designs.

Chips often have redundant circuit as the manufacturing process have random defects, that way you get more good chips out of a wafer. But not often in analog chips.

6. alpovs
    Please let us know your impressions when you get it. It's already in your signature :)

7. Jason Stoddard
    Hey guys, just a final reminder that I'll be at the Schiitr from 6-10PM tonight for the meet, and with the first article Sol turntable.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  8. CAPT Deadpool
    Jason, Pictures or it didn't happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

For all of us Schiitheads that aren't in Cali.

9. Balder
    Get Your Schiit Right - I am Balder NOT Baldr, and my piont is that the gear in question is over my budget, hence keep spliting hair - could'n care less (Jävla Puckon!)

audio philestine likes this.
  10. Robert Padgett
    Welcome @Balder, sorry that they confused you with Mike.

11. Charente
    Will await your verdict Scott !

12. zztopps
    I’ll be looking forward to hearing your impressions too.

Would someone who is going to the meet tonight be willing to ask about this?

13. winders
    Based on what USPS says, I should be receiving the DAC tomorrow.

Yes, ask Jason about the the Bifrost Multibit and please someone post photos of Sol!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    zztopps and thebmc like this.
  14. jimmers
    AD Datasheet:
    "The six MSBs of the 20-bit data-word are decoded to drive 63 switches,"
    i.e. it's the other way round, as in earlier posts.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    alpovs likes this.
  15. winders
    Where are the photos of the first article Sol? Hurry up guys!