1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. earnmyturns
    Soekris has what you are looking for:

http://www.soekris.dk/dac1321.html

I've not heard it, but I like its big brother dac1541 better than the Bifrost Multibit I used to own. OTOH, I prefer my Yggdrasil over dac1541 -- but then it's quite a price jump between them.
    My overall take is every good designer makes different choices and compromises to build a reliable, competitive DAC. For me, the Yggdrasil is the king of the hill, but I get a lot of musical value from my dac1541 and my Metrum Onyx systems too, partly because I've done quite a bit of messing around matching DAC, amp, transducers, and use case. A good orchestral or jazz recording with my speaker system (see full chain under my sig) at the right volume has superb emotional impact. The dynamism, fast leading edges are the best among my systems. A long listening session in my quiet home office with my Metrum-based system keeps me searching for more details and surprises. NOS + tube hybrid is multi-layered, romantic. Trying to concentrate at work, the right music (often ECM/ECM-style jazz) on the dac1541-based system creates great focus. Clean, precise, liquid.

2. Ripper2860
    I'll take a single-ended Gumby at Bifrost MB price and form-factor, please!! :D

the finisher, ScubaMan2017 and Rensek like this.
  3. Oveja Negra
    Soekris, man... you are one of my favourite posters here, among other things, cause you always end mentioning obscure brands that are absolutely new to me :D

4. KoshNaranek
    I have the dac1541. It images as well as the bifrost multibit but is more mellow in its voicing.

I would only use it in a headphone setup because the dial on it must be adjusted for best sound on every recording. This is just not practical on a nondesktop setup.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  5. rkw
    I have a dac1541 and I don't know what dial you're adjusting. Please explain.

6. Licht
    HiFiMAN R2R2000
    It uses two PCM1704K.
    Tiny, nice sounding, but very expensive.
    I have auditioned it but haven’t owned.
    Very Multibit type of sound.

alpovs likes this.
  7. winders
    If what I have read and heard from several sources is true, the latest rendition of the Bifrost Multibit sounds very much like a single ended Gumby (A2). It is supposed to be noticeably better than the Modi Multibit now and sound like it is in the Gumby/ Yggdrasil family. There has been no official update(s) announced by Schiit...but it is clear that a new Bifrost Multibit has been rolled into production and sounds much better. I just ordered one to replace my Eitr/Modi Multibit combo to sit under my Lyr 3. I hope to have it Saturday or Monday.

RCBinTN, earnmyturns, Rattle and 7 others like this.
  8. KoshNaranek
    DAC1321, Mea Culpa

[​IMG]
    The LED to the right of the dial lights up when set too high and the distortion is too high. Set it too low and the dynamic range suffers.

the finisher and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  9. mvn1
    @winders please elaborate....

barondla and KoshNaranek like this.
  10. winders
    I can't as I have not listened to the new Bifrost Multibit as of yet. I have said what I have heard....

barondla likes this.
  11. ScubaMan2017
    I figured that out once I started visiting all kinds of German websites. Gotcha. :)

12. ScubaMan2017
    I visited the site. That is one odd little creature. Very Danish. :ksc75smile: . I'm assuming I have to provide my own 5V DC (3W max.) power supply or attempt to power it using my USB (?!). The downloadable manual makes for some interesting reading.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. CAPT Deadpool
    I imagine Schiit pays closer to 64.58 as if they need 4 per Yggy they could build a 250 Yggys with an order of 1000 chips ($64,000 :astonished:). And if they ordered significantly more than 1,000 at a time they might get an even better price that is not advertised on the website. After all prices can be negotiated; especially if you have been infected with the souk/bazaari mentality like me (not implying that once terms are agreed for a transaction that they can/should be renegotiated). The worst that can happen is they say no and you pay the $64 price.

https://www.analog.com/en/products/ad5791.html#product-discussions Select the options to buy and view inventory.

the finisher likes this.
  14. Ripper2860

Oooooh. I did not know that a 'secret' revision to Bimby may be in play. I would love to hear your impressions once received -- especially in comparison to EITR and Modi Multibit, as I too have that setup. If your listening seems to confirm the rumors, it may be that my wish has already been granted!! :D

Thanks!!

15. alpovs
    Thanks! I looked it up. Seems perfect. But more expensive than Yggdrasil... I wonder if they sold any.