Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #43,291 of 150,704
I was posting **my** preferences with my headphones. What others like with their headphones may very well be different.....

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #43,292 of 150,704
I hope this doesn't count as political, but I actually appreciate the FTC's definition. A lot of industries get away with super misleading product labeling, and I think that even if they're sort of being nazis about it, 100% sourced and made in the USA is a pretty good definition for "made in the USA."

I also don't get the hit in pride, because you're not changing anything but a few letters on a label, but hey, I'm not schiit. I don't think it's at all a bad thing that a few parts come from the only places on the planet that make them (not in the USA).

Anyways, I'm mostly here to check up on the Sol. Sitting on the cheapest turntable money can buy right now, waiting to see what reviewers say about the Sol, before I make a decision on that. Hope it's all going well with it!

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #43,293 of 150,704
It’s been the same all along. It can be enforced on any manufacturer at any time.

The real problem is there is no clear definition, other than “entirely made of 100% US-sourced parts from US stock.” Ninety-nine percent isn’t enough to protect you. At that point, you need to prove—for every product, individually—that the non-US content is negligible and doesn’t impact the product’s function. Yeah, have fun with that. We’d have to hire a dozen people to keep track of it...and maybe be tied up with legal stuff for years about how a product’s chip resistors could be considered “not necessary to its function.” There are no US manufacturers of chip resistors.

I know the court decisions on this stuff were in the early 2000s.

But you don't really have it that bad, imagine being C.F. Martin & Company and having to change your label after 175 years of labeling Made in the U.S.A when literally nothing has changed.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #43,296 of 150,704
Get ready for the For Sale ads of old Schiit gear that has the Made in USA labels. Selling at a premium of course, because its moar betterer.

In a few years, the children of today will be arguing the difference in sound quality between the two marques...just like what year the tube was made in the Soviet Union.
Good year, bad year, Did you meet your Five-year plan?
I am pretty sure those Russian tubes were tested by rolling over them with a T-38 and then expected to last 10,000 hours...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #43,297 of 150,704
2019, Chapter 2:
“Made” No More

I often wondered about how strict "Made in America" was, I assumed at least some of your small components were from other parts, I didn't know if you were allowed that - apparently not.

At least it gives you a new marketing angle, maybe the popular acronym with the M crossed out would be going too far :thinking:

"Constructed in the USA, raw materials from exploding stars."

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #43,298 of 150,704
In a few years, the children of today will be arguing the difference in sound quality between the two marques...just like what year the tube was made in the Soviet Union.
Good year, bad year, Did you meet your Five-year plan?
I am pretty sure those Russian tubes were tested by rolling over them with a T-38 and then expected to last 10,000 hours...
I think that you meant T-34. A T38 is an aircraft.

https://www.amazon.com/Owners-Works..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Haynes+manual+t+34

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #43,299 of 150,704
I can't understand anyone using the ignore button.
Being precious denies one the delicious ironies and misunderstandings contained in the postings.
Being pedantic is good, but if the other party doesn't understand the point as stated, and starts a war, sit back and enjoy the ensuing melee as the detractors display their ignorance and falllacious reasoning.....:ksc75smile:

A wise sentiment indeed. I honestly think that is the first time I ever saw you post thoughts in a text format.
ps. I like your clips and have nobody on ignore. I was constantly going back to "show the hidden content" that I'd missed :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #43,300 of 150,704
I think that you meant T-34. A T38 is an aircraft...
Russian T-38 amphibious scout tank
300px-T-38_tank.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #43,302 of 150,704
I know the court decisions on this stuff were in the early 2000s.

But you don't really have it that bad, imagine being C.F. Martin & Company and having to change your label after 175 years of labeling Made in the U.S.A when literally nothing has changed.

Holy moly.

Guys, here's the thing. Manufacturers can either:

1. Really really really make sure they comply with not only the spirit of the law but letter of the law of the FTC--and be prepared to prove it--continuously--if challenged.
2. Think that lightning will never strike, and continue using "Made in USA"--and perhaps jeopardize the future of their company and their employees.
3. Use safe terminology and sleep well at night, knowing their companies and employees are safe.

That's really about it. When things get really contentious, the FTC can step in and set additional rules, like the "% Domestic Content" on new car window stickers or the speaker amplifier ratings that came about after the rated power wars of the 1970s. Yes, all audio amplifiers above a handful of watts technically need to comply with FTC rules. See an interesting article about that here: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/ftc-consumer-audio

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 23, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #43,304 of 150,704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back