Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #43,111 of 155,074
A great discussion ... thanks to all, and thanks to Jason for your latest chapter ... very enlightening.
My first Zeroth goal was to learn to birdie every hole, but I soon discovered that wouldn't happen anytime soon :)

So instead, I went to work for a publicly-traded manufacturing company.
I gravitated to production, and was lucky to meet and work with an amazing mechanical engineer.

Roger was 20-years older than me. He was already in his Zeroth place when I met him.
To him, Zeroth was simple ... just design, build, install, startup and deploy the best systems possible.

For Roger, customer satisfaction was Job 1. My department was one of his customers.
He brown-bagged his lunch, and kept the bag (to recycle) in his shirt pocket.
He would take notes on the bag when an idea struck him during our discussions.
Some productive weeks, by Friday, Roger's lunch bag would be covered with notes and equations.

I asked Roger one day why he didn't want to be promoted ... he'd turned down department manager several times.
His reply has stayed with me for 30 years ... "because I was happy, and not comfortable controlling other peoples' lives."
Then, I understood. The fun would have evaporated from his work.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #43,112 of 155,074
Boy can I relate to Roger.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #43,114 of 155,074
I asked Roger one day why he didn't want to be promoted ... he'd turned down department manager several times.
There's no feeling like being made a manager and then deciding to go back to being "an individual contributor." It's quite liberating! I daresay Roger is wiser than I.

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #43,115 of 155,074
Headphoneus Supremus....I agree with you. I taught high school for 35 years and loved "almost" every day of it. People told me I would make a good/great administrator. I had NO interest. I saw what happened to administrators and how they were removed from daily positive contact from their product...students. I had a few friends who went this route and told me, other than the extra money, they regretted doing it. I think one of the reasons Schiit Audio does so well is that Jason, Mike, etc., are involved in a very personal way with their business. From watching all the videos posted on how they make their products you can see all their staff involvement in making all of the "stuff" they send to us looked "connected" to the company. If you have "happy" workers who believe in your philosophy and pay them a fair wage/benefits you are 99.9% of the way to your company goal(s). I had principals that never came out of their office(s). Afraid to "see" what was really going on all over the building. I have never been a business person but I think it is important to have a very personal interaction with people who work for you. I guess if you run a company, like Apple, it is a whole different thing. There is another company that reminds me of Schiit Audio...California Olive Ranch. Dedicated to make the best 100% olive oil. The stuff is not "analog" but...tasty!! Their limited edition virgin olive oil is their Modi. They love their olive trees like Mike loves his DAC's.
Hope all of you have a "great" weekend.
Mr. Pete--------------------------->
aging hippie

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #43,116 of 155,074
Share holders see investments as a hedge against a poor retirement and limiting chaos. That naturally fits into the world of rampant Capitalism.
That's true for human beings as shareholders but I'd wager that the majority of shareholders are now corporations (institutional) as well. Corporations seeking to maximize profits to feed other corporations seeking to maximize profits.

I do not see much hope for shareholder activism to mitigate the excesses of corporations.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #43,117 of 155,074
That lean in the bass must have been caused somewhere downstream the transport though. I used to have the Wadia 830 CD player (the baby Wadia) with the stable platter transport, and it had a lot of weight and slam in the bass. Not bass heavy, but it certainly deep and taut.
What you say seems logical but I’m just not sure how or why it’d have been that case, as my other two sources, an Arcam CD73 (as transport via digital out;coax) and my computer via USB we’re both fed to the same dac, a Schiit Yggdrasil.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #43,120 of 155,074
Jan 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #43,121 of 155,074
Guys, let's steer clear of politics and personal snipes. Otherwise a bunch of people will be leaving this thread.

Remember, I'm a moderator of this thread. The reports go to me. If I am trying to get some actual Schiit done on a weekend, and I have to deal with this Schiit instead, it does not put me in a good mood. Nor does it contribute to us either introducing new products, or improving production of current ones.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #43,122 of 155,074
I have 2 hard and fast rules re: my forum posts …

1) No politics.
2) No Religion

Never ends well and it's the virtual equivalent of wearing a "Kick Me!" sign on your back. :D

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #43,124 of 155,074
I have 2 hard and fast rules re: my forum posts …

1) No politics.
2) No Religion

Never ends well and it's the virtual equivalent of wearing a "Kick Me!" sign on your back. :D

Amen to that :)

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #43,125 of 155,074
Looks like Google stopped making Chromecast Audio. I have 5 of them and they are fabulous. Seems like a good opportunity for Schiit to introduce a streamer. Are there any plans for this?
This been raised again and again, and the answer has been clearly NO. Streamers are software-heavy, and Schiit does not want to be in the software business (smart!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back