1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Xcalibur255
    Hmm. Perhaps the simplest way to put it would be this: I've always wished I could be a creator instead of merely a consumer. But I don't have the talent for it. Aside from that there are........ other things that have always held me back. When every mole hill in your life feels like a mountain you don't climb any more than you absolutely have to. I really admire people who have aspirations and can actually act on them. I simply have no spare capacity for it, even if I wanted to.

RickB likes this.
  2. Slaphead
    So, good solid consolidation then. It might feel like ZZzzzzzz but it's part of the process of producing good solid products, and good on you for doing that. Some other companies, especially in the tech industries, simply want to ply you with new rushed flashy features every year rather than actually stopping and getting the basics right in the "zeroth" place.

the finisher, RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  3. sam6550a
    There definitely is a required balance between the two extremes to assure that the company stays progressive and solid. I have seen companies fail from pursuing either extreme,

RCBinTN likes this.
  4. Robert Wortman
    That's your opinion. Completely unsupported by actual facts. Paul Barton spends untold hours in an anechoic chamber measuring his designs. I am absolutely sure he doesn't accept "high distortion in the bass"

Robert Padgett likes this.
  5. Robert Padgett
    Facts don't matter. Opinions are all that count. Especially if in the process of voicing your opinion, you are able "speaker shame" somebody in the process. Jeez, I always though Head-fi was about Headphones, not speakers.
    Is there a forum called "Room-fi"? Speaker systems very expensive Wilsons or DaytonAudio $49 bookshelves, are not what you hear...you hear how speakers interact with the room of the listener. Big woofers vs small woofers... How about 50mm transducers less than an inch from your eardrum actually gives the listener an opportunity to Hear the music, not the room.
    But, you can only claim superiority if you own Abyss HPs and everything less is just proof that you have never heard "real" headphones. :sarcastic:

the finisher and US Blues like this.
  6. wink
    [​IMG]..[​IMG]

CAPT Deadpool, sam6550a and US Blues like this.
  7. audio philestine
    One for the programmers out there:
    [​IMG]

8. porchwizard
    F'n brilliant !

gljus and audio philestine like this.
  9. gljus
    took me a second to get it (as any debugging does) :D

AudioGal and audio philestine like this.
  10. audio philestine
    I have a copy hanging by my desk for this very reason. That is a real bug there that is easy to miss. Makes for some nice discussions with others.

EDIT: just to close out the lesson, a trick I learned from a wiser programmer than myself is to reverse the 'if' statement:

if (true = isCrazyMurderingRobot)

and then if you inadvertently forget to use the '==' test operator instead of the '=' assignment operator, the compiler will generate an error ("invalid lvalue"), and the Humans get to live.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. jimmers
    Especially if you used to use := and =, not = and == :confused:

isCrazyMurderingRobot is defined as a Boolean so testing equal True should not be necessary anyhoo

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    judson_w and audio philestine like this.
  12. wout31
    [QUOTE=" I am absolutely sure he doesn't accept "high distortion in the bass"[/QUOTE]
    ALL speakers have high distortion in the bass. Read that first word again! ALL.
    Specially when it is a "conventional" loudspeaker with drivers, not an "electrostatic" speaker.
    Electrostatic speakers can keep distortion very low (below 1%), but not in the frequencies below 50 Hz. It will rise to 5% on the second harmonic.
    Distortion in a drivers speaker will easily be 10 percent or more (and not only on the bass). On top of that comes the fact your listening room is not an anechoic chamber and there you have even more distortion. Next, your room (just like mine) is probably not big enough to contain the very low tones (for 20 Hz it needs to exceed 60 feet = 18 meters in length) and even more distortion comes in. Any speaker designer has to accept the law of physics and hence have high distortions in the bass region. There would be little distortion if the speaker would move evenly and linear forth and back without delay and deformation, but it doesn't. It can't because of the weight, the construction, the air resistance, the cabinet, magnetic field, heating of the voice coil etc. etc.In fact the speakers are by far the weakest link in the 2-channel audio system. If you want to be a little bit closer to perfection buy full range electrostatic loudspeakers, not the hybrid ones. As Jason mentioned in one of his very first chapters of his book the largest amount of money on your 2-channel system should go to the speakers. I totally agree on that statement. Please note this is all just my opinion and as an Quad ESL-63 enthusiast I'm very biased.Enjoy your music.

13. Derrick Swart
    I heard the esl63 with vanmedevoort amplification at a colleague’s home many years ago. Fantastic sound, i can’t live with the placement and the maintenance though, otherwise a great option. I remember the sense of realism they produced and his story that he had to clean the mylar every now and then because of the dog hairs.

14. RCBinTN
    A great discussion ... thanks to all, and thanks to Jason for your latest chapter ... very enlightening.
    My first Zeroth goal was to learn to birdie every hole, but I soon discovered that wouldn't happen anytime soon :)

So instead, I went to work for a publicly-traded manufacturing company.
    I gravitated to production, and was lucky to meet and work with an amazing mechanical engineer.

Roger was 20-years older than me. He was already in his Zeroth place when I met him.
    To him, Zeroth was simple ... just design, build, install, startup and deploy the best systems possible.

For Roger, customer satisfaction was Job 1. My department was one of his customers.
    He brown-bagged his lunch, and kept the bag (to recycle) in his shirt pocket.
    He would take notes on the bag when an idea struck him during our discussions.
    Some productive weeks, by Friday, Roger's lunch bag would be covered with notes and equations.

I asked Roger one day why he didn't want to be promoted ... he'd turned down department manager several times.
    His reply has stayed with me for 30 years ... "because I was happy, and not comfortable controlling other peoples' lives."
    Then, I understood. The fun would have evaporated from his work.

15. Mr Rick
    Boy can I relate to Roger.

the finisher, RCBinTN and barondla like this.