Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #43,142 of 150,898
I do! Me! Have you any idea how hard it is to find live music without any amplification?

Nowadays I tell my wife that if it has a mixer it's not live.
It's not binary. Most jazz needs some bass amplification to sound balanced, for instance. At SFJAZZ we typically sit on the first row (we buy our tickets way in advance). The SFJAZZ crew has really fine-tuned the minimum amplification that will fill that fairly big venue without messing up with the direct acoustic sound for the front rows. It does not always work perfectly -- it depends on the ensemble, instruments, jazz genre, but when it does, it glows. When it does not work so well, the most common failure is losing piano behind overly forward sax and drums. But recently they've been on a roll in balanced soundstage.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #43,143 of 150,898
It's not binary. Most jazz needs some bass amplification to sound balanced, for instance. At SFJAZZ we typically sit on the first row (we buy our tickets way in advance). The SFJAZZ crew has really fine-tuned the minimum amplification that will fill that fairly big venue without messing up with the direct acoustic sound for the front rows. It does not always work perfectly -- it depends on the ensemble, instruments, jazz genre, but when it does, it glows. When it does not work so well, the most common failure is losing piano behind overly forward sax and drums. But recently they've been on a roll in balanced soundstage.

Healthy envy ... (If that's possible :beyersmile:)

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #43,144 of 150,898
That's true for human beings as shareholders but I'd wager that the majority of shareholders are now corporations (institutional) as well. Corporations seeking to maximize profits to feed other corporations seeking to maximize profits.

I do not see much hope for shareholder activism to mitigate the excesses of corporations.

Can't disagree with that - esp since my ideas on the topic were found in the late 70's - quite awhile back now, shades of the 'improvements' of the coming AI revolution.

Frank Herbert may have had it right in 'Dune' given his description of a future beyond dystopia, with thinking machines outlawed.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #43,145 of 150,898
I have 2 hard and fast rules re: my forum posts …

1) No politics.
2) No Religion

Never ends well and it's the virtual equivalent of wearing a "Kick Me!" sign on your back. :D

Good thinking, so does that mean you encourage talk of sex? Sorry...

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #43,146 of 150,898
I will neither confirm nor deny. :smirk:

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #43,147 of 150,898
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #43,148 of 150,898
source.gif

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #43,149 of 150,898
Out of the three sex is the only one actually required for the continued existence of humanity though...

At least for the time being lol.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #43,150 of 150,898
How many people listen to live music (without electronic / amplification)
Even in small clubs, jazz and folk music usually involve microphones and speakers. Classical music is where live unamplified music is standard practice. When I go to a classical concert and if I hadn't gone in awhile, my first reaction is often "It sounds so... acoustic". There is something about real physical objects (made of wood, metal, strings, etc) creating sound and its interaction with surrounding space that isn't captured and reproduced by electronics.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #43,151 of 150,898
Even in small clubs, jazz and folk music usually involve microphones and speakers. Classical music is where live unamplified music is standard practice. When I go to a classical concert and if I hadn't gone in awhile, my first reaction is often "It sounds so... acoustic". There is something about real physical objects (made of wood, metal, strings, etc) creating sound and its interaction with surrounding space that isn't captured and reproduced by electronics.
Have to be careful. Even some of the orchestras are experimenting with sound reinforcement.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #43,152 of 150,898
Jan 14, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #43,154 of 150,898
Don't panic ... Compare that with an electronic party.

I'm not a kind of taliban on listening to unplugged music, it's only to have a good reference (the best as possible) on how the music should sound.

Maybe we expect thunderous bass on classic drums, as an example. I really like the sound of the natural drums without tons of bass that hide all the harmonics and details on the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back