Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #39,482 of 150,790
Ubiquiti has a forum that people use for most questions and general talk. There is an option in the control for the access point to change the output power so you can put it in low, med, high, or auto for each 2.4ghz and 5ghz brands. I do not know if it has to be done with their software controller or how easy it is with just the AP connected to an existing network. I just got done putting an ubiquiti setup in at my place and it blows my previous router away.

That's REALLY helpful and the first confirmation of being able to lower the output power I have yet found for any new equipment.

Which access point are you using?

And I did a perusal of their forums and didn't see where this topic was even mentioned, but I'll look even deeper now that it seems to be in there some where.

And which hardwired router are you using?
My 'combo' unit is acting flakey and I should probably upgrade the wired side as well.

Thanks for the reply

JJ

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #39,483 of 150,790
I want no lights on my amps, thank you.
I tend to be sparing with the use of lights on audio gear.

I do, however, usually incorporate a simple neon HV pilot lamp on my tube gear, just so I can remember the thing is on from across the room, and to verify the HV supply is up to voltage and ready-to-go.

Blame it on my OCD...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #39,484 of 150,790
And I guess I missed all the other wifi router power advice as well.

Thanks for the leads and suggestions.
Now I have plenty to investigate.

JJ

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #39,485 of 150,790
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #39,486 of 150,790

There is a mountain called the Eiger, some of you may recall the movie The Eiger Sanction years ago. That is pretty close to the pronunciation I would think. Classic Latin Caesar was prounonced more like like Kaiser, the German version of the same word, in Russia it was Czar. Things change a bit coming over to English.

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #39,488 of 150,790
Aegir pronunciation (?):

Guess we can make up our own, those both suck.:neutral_face:

Agear ain't bad, but Ijeer, Egear?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #39,489 of 150,790
A 3dB increase correlates to a doubling of amplifier output power.

Example: if you have a speaker rated at '90dB 1-Watt per-meter' sensitivity, and feed it 1-Watt of amplifier power, then you get a 90dB SPL (sound pressure level) at a listening position one meter in front of the speaker. If the amplifier output power to this speaker is then *doubled* to 2-Watts, you will achieve an SPL of 93dB at the same listening position in front of the speaker. To achieve an additional 3dB of SPL from the same speaker (a 96dB SPL) , one must again *double* the amplifier power, to 4-Watts. And so on.....

Just remember that 3dB of gain is equivalent to a doubling of power.

Check this out: https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calculator-amp-speaker-spl/

Yeah, that's how I understood the previous posters answer to my question, but I wasn't sure my understanding was correct. Thanks for clarifying, very helpful.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #39,490 of 150,790
Does anyone know of any wifi routers where I can reduce the wifi signal power that is radiated from the device?
I looked at the unbiquity site and there doesn't appear to be a way to even ask this question, which I find odd.
Ubiquiti has a forum: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Forums
and a help page: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us

A quick Google search returned these results:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1233488-reduce-unifi-ap-signal-range
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ge...-router-wireless-signal-strength/td-p/1038758

I found all of those within a couple of minutes...

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #39,491 of 150,790
Kewl! Thanks for those links, yet a few more avenues to pursue.
And I finally found (on page 135 of the Ubiquity manual) a reference to the radio setup.

This helps a whole bunch more.

JJ

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #39,492 of 150,790
Lol @Pietro Cozzi Tinin i asked you last year if the ragnarok with a vidar sounded great and you said the opposite things. so as a summary of what youve told me:

Mj2 + Vidar = works well
Rag + Vidar = sound degraded
@dieslemat asks if the MJ2 is a good pre for Vidars.
My answer is yes.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #39,493 of 150,790
Borrowed from another poster on another forum:

Thank you. I just got home and was wondering if I should scan these sheets.
There were at least two sheets with slightly different ad copy on them. The other one said, "Lower power. Higher price. Is this Schiit R&D at its finest?" The message at least is essentially the same. It is interesting. (Jason said, go ahead and reproduce them for head fi.)

I arrived very late in the day so the Aegirs were out of service because one of them was flaky. Jason, Mike and Jude were all running around and doing interviews, so I managed only to catch them for about 20 minutes before a panel discussion. Bonus: Mike's wife was there.

I asked her if she was up to her arms in junk at home.
She responded, not junk but --
"Precious items?"
"Precious items. Speakers in various stages of construction. Circuit boards. Boxes and boxes of CDs and DVDs he hasn't looked at in ages."
"I'll be more than happy to take a few of those CD boxes off your hands for ripping."
"No, he wants them, even though he could never find anything in them."
"I'm the same way. I spent hours looking for a Bach piece I have so that I could get someone the sleeve info."
Mike jumps in: "You were looking for a codpiece?"
Me, to Mike: "Okay, your golden ear certificate is taken away."
Mike: "No, I just found an appropriate place to make a comment."

And so on. Hey, if you didn't expect potty humor with this group, you've really misunderstood them!

I asked Jason why he wasn't giving away coasters as Schiit schwag. Jason: "I don't know. I didn't think of it." (I don't know if they'd really do this -- it could probably get expensive.)

Mike commented that they could give away an electrostatic headphone amp board, as a jab at Jason. They don't fight fair. :)

I wish I could have heard those amps when they were working. Jason said that they might be out as soon as January, to which I retorted, "That means November." Jason, to Mike: "He knows us."

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #39,494 of 150,790
Someone help me out here because I really don't know and I want to.

Why is a 20w stereo amp exciting? Seems like sothat would power some small bookshelf speaker and that's about it.

I'm seriously asking because I don't know. 20 watts sounds relatively tiny considering my current speakers are rated for 150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back