Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 24, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #38,761 of 151,312
I was always under the impression that a good (as in properly designed for the device in use) power supply in a component's sole purpose was to maintain a steady (DC?) voltage to the circuitry it feeds regardless of the incoming AC value within the limits spec'd by the designer (say input voltage between 110 to 130). If that internal voltage stays stable not sure why there would be any audible effect.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #38,763 of 151,312
Ugh I saw the name on one some time ago when I helped a friend with more flexible cables but the name escapes me. I believe the name was on the RCA connector or cable itself if you have one there.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #38,765 of 151,312
That is the name on the RCA interconnects for sure, it has been a couple years since I saw it.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #38,766 of 151,312
I think all their cables come from Straight Wire.

Your right, if you look carefully at the photos on Schiit's website I think you can even see they say Straight Wire.
upload_2018-9-24_16-41-9.png

I have several pairs of these Symphony IIC's in .5 and 1 meter lengths balanced and they sound very good.
Straight Wires digital cables are very good too! Well made and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #38,767 of 151,312
I have my personal preferences for interconnects as well as headphone cables. :) Just remember a cable can only maintain the signal, it cannot improve upon it.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #38,770 of 151,312
Why not order cables from Tom - Cables for Less?
You're just a bit faster than I am.
Yes, I would order the cables from Tom (cables for less) too.
In fact, ge gifted me the best AES/EBU cable I ever had.
Maybe you can even get something bespoke.
So be smart and PM him. @Paladin79

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #38,771 of 151,312
umm Modi 3 is Schiit's first product without a special power supply... so that one.

Jason said it has 10x the noise of Apple's wall wart's and I want to buy a better one for my Modi 3.

A. Jason said it didn’t matter.
B. But if you’re still worried just buy Apple’s. It’s 10 times better!

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #38,774 of 151,312
They should make a deal with Daimler. I'd love to see some Schiit installed at our factory.
@Jason Stoddard did reminice about his automobile audio in an earlier post. I wonder if the auto-manufacturer would want to rebrand it? Interesting musing, @Jojokkeli .

If you think it might make a difference, I've got more Apple USB "Cubes" than I could possibly need (yes I own a ton of Apple Products). I'll send you a few if you want. Just PM me.
There was a 2017 article in HowToGeek about the USB cubes (especially the ones that ouput >10W).

New meaning for the term Schiit Box I guess.
Heh. @artur9 Don’t laugh, my little schiitmobile’s (2005 Echo) paid for.

Auto Schiit

My voltage wanders all over the place from 119 to 127. The Schiit works fine with it.,,,{snip}...
My inverter for the solar power stuff will pick up non-essential loads if line voltage drops below 90 volts. The inverter itself maintains a rock solid 117 vac with a perfect sine wave.
@FrivolsListener ...your post gave me bad flashbacks to my (brief) time working at an isolated salmon aquaculture operation. All the computers were powered by diesel generators. Perhaps our company found it cheaper to replace power supplies (instead of footing the bill for proper UPS [current conditioning]). I grimly remember the PC’s having to be be replaced every year or so....
BTW - based strictly on my reading about off-grid power supplies... doesn’t the battery system’s DC-to-AC converter mimic a sine wave? (in my mind’s ossilicope, it’s a jagged approximation). When it’s time for me to get the hell out of the city, I want to have an off-grid system that produces non-electronics-destroying AC power.

Why not order cables from Tom - Cables for Less?
That’s a better idea that what I did on the weekend. I took free coaxial cable given to me from our cable-provider & thought I could make one extra long cable to run from my radio to my SYS. I merrily started splicing 3 lengths of component-coaxial cable... and forgetting to remove ALL the aluminum-foil cladding (I ended up playing hunt-for-the-short-circuit). Good lesson for me...:ksc75smile: .

I also tried saving another couple of bucks. I took a cablevision-company surplus ~6ft RCA -M/M cable, cut it down, and spliced it together so I had a 1-2ft cables to connect my schiit stack together. I wasn’t soldering my connections and the guage was significantly higher (so narrower diameter) than the Amazon-Basics 1.5ft RCA-M/M cables I purchased. Result: weird popping noises as I listened (upshot... yanked my DIY P.O.S... and found & used an original, low-guage-value, 3ft RCA-M/M cable.... the weird sounds stopped). Meh, I’ll leave the cable splicing to the professionals.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #38,775 of 151,312
I've written here and elsewhere about finding gear you are happy with, and sticking with them and avoiding reviews, dealers, and even friends opinions to increase enjoyment and avoid audio nervosa). I take my own advice as I've owned some gear for 10-20+ years more recently when I was flipping gear like used clothing from '75-'97 (helped being a salesman, and dealer investor).

I’ve still got the first piece of “serious” gear I ever saved up for and bought new - my Quad 405. I’ve bought and sold other gear but never even been tempted to move that one along. Sent it back to the factory in the 80s and had the internals bumped to a Mark II.

Good gear good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back