Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #38,791 of 152,718
I've seen a lot of reviews (and I can't remember if its here or the other forum) that the modi multibit is as good as the bifrost multibit. some say they cannot tell the difference.

depends on how you're going to use it...with speakers? just headphones?

Yeah, they will be slated for home use, mostly 2ch probably, with some hp use. I do have a mimby already. It's fantastic. Loki is intriguing, but not sure how much I'd use it.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #38,792 of 152,718
I do believe one of us is quoting the book and the other the movie but I have been wrong before. :smile_phones:

Thanks for mentioning me in regards to cables but right now my people are swamped and might not be able to help for a couple weeks. I help friends on occasion but that is usually on weekends and on my own time.

Tom

Yes, I was quoting the movie.

I don't believe I was the one promoting your cable-building skills (I know how the Head-Fi rules sort of frown on Trade Members selling outright in the threads or such noise).

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #38,794 of 152,718
Yes, I was quoting the movie.

I don't believe I was the one promoting your cable-building skills (I know how the Head-Fi rules sort of frown on Trade Members selling outright in the threads or such noise).

You were not, sorry if I was unclear.
Right now it would be a disservice to try to help anyone because of our workload.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts on Vidar or Vidars and bi-wire applications with various speakers. Winder's comment caused me to think about this and I have experimented less with speaker cables than other types of cable.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #38,795 of 152,718
You were not, sorry if I was unclear.
Right now it would be a disservice to try to help anyone because of our workload.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts on Vidar or Vidars and bi-wire applications with various speakers. Winder's comment caused me to think about this and I have experimented less with speaker cables than other types of cable.

I'm going to compare the hometown AntiCables to my BJC Canare 4S11.
I'd send them for you to compare, if I find they are actually better.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #38,796 of 152,718
I'm going to compare the hometown AntiCables to my BJC Canare 4S11.
I'd send them for you to compare, if I find they are actually better.

I have used a lot of 4S11, combine the wires to two pair and it goes from 14 awg to 11 awg. At least I can remember those numbers, when you get into things like L-4E6S it gets tougher.

My son has a Vidar and I have a hard time buying for him so maybe a decent set of bi-wired cables for Xmas? Along with a flying saucer coaster amp.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #38,797 of 152,718
These are the pair I'll be trying. http://anticables.com/speaker-wires...ies-Speaker-Wires/p/14644527/category=3449817

He has a b-wire set made from the same wire as the 3.1 for a bit more. 2.1 bi-wire same over all gage of 9 awg per side, 12+2=9.
Many folks swear by these, they aren't very expensive, I will report back my impressions.

I did manage to score the Klipsch KG4s for a bit over 300, they are 9 out for 10 in condition.
94 db @ 1 watt.
After new ti diaphragms for the horns, and updated crossovers I may need to build a of the SS class A amps you are building. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #38,798 of 152,718
These are the pair I'll be trying. http://anticables.com/speaker-wires...ies-Speaker-Wires/p/14644527/category=3449817

He has a b-wire set made from the same wire as the 3.1 for a bit more. 2.1 bi-wire same over all gage of 9 awg per side, 12+2=9.
Many folks swear by these, they aren't very expensive, I will report back my impressions.

I read some of their info, you really have to be careful what you say about some products and oftentimes it is best to point to testimonials. I know some folks point to solid copper for bass and there are a lot of different opinions out there...

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #38,799 of 152,718
I read some of their info, you really have to be careful what you say about some products and oftentimes it is best to point to testimonials. I know some folks point to solid copper for bass and there are a lot of different opinions out there...

I know those guys opinions, and others who disagree, I have nothing to lose by trying myself.
My headphone cable sounds better than the Audeze stock cable, or I would have returned it.

YMMV and all that.:)

I did manage to score the Klipsch KG4s for a bit over 300, they are 9 out for 10 in condition.
94 db @ 1 watt.
After new ti diaphragms for the horns, and updated crossovers I may need to build those SS class A amps you are building. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #38,800 of 152,718
Yeah, they will be slated for home use, mostly 2ch probably, with some hp use. I do have a mimby already. It's fantastic. Loki is intriguing, but not sure how much I'd use it.
aahh you already have one. Anyways I would go for a mimby (my Loki is Sonarworks). If you like the ModiMB then you can have a second one but if you are very curious to hear the difference between a Modi3 and the ModiMB then...and you've a Loki too then. And you can always swap around of course. Why don't you first buy a Loki and try it with the ModiMB?
Choices, so many choices :) the luxury problems we have.

About choices:
Yesterday it became clear to me that I need to prepare things for my son's first HiFi set. Thank god we have Schiit available but to make things difficult I need something that works from his phone to the system below 300 euros. Loudspeakers I have for him already (6 Ohm/ 90dB and they like some Watts-> dissipation is 150W)

Any one a suggestion? Perhaps a SYS with a Modi3 plus a BT receiver and a cheap power amp?

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #38,801 of 152,718
I know those guys opinions, and others who disagree, I have nothing to lose by trying myself.
My headphone cable sounds better than the Audeze stock cable, or I would have returned it.

YMMV and all that.:)

94 db @ 1 watt.
After new ti diaphragms for the horns, and updated crossovers I may need to build those SS class A amps you are building. :wink:

At the end of the day if you like the sound of something, you like the sound and in both cases you would be dealing with good product it appears. I just like to be able to wrap my mind around the science if at all possible.
Great work on landing those speakers! As I recall I am waiting for parts for my amps but I am pretty patient. :slight_smile: I will finish them one day.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #38,802 of 152,718

I normally use spades on my speaker cables, but my previous "garden hose" speaker cables kept loosening the right channel binding posts on Vidar. Switching to locking banana jacks took care of the problem. And I must repeat that I love my Saga/Vidar combo!

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #38,803 of 152,718
Great work on landing those speakers! As I recall I am waiting for parts for my amps but I am pretty patient. :slight_smile: I will finish them one day.

Sorry, I been going too many directions lately, promise I'll focus on those parts.:beerchug:

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #38,804 of 152,718
aahh you already have one. Anyways I would go for a mimby (my Loki is Sonarworks). If you like the ModiMB then you can have a second one but if you are very curious to hear the difference between a Modi3 and the ModiMB then...and you've a Loki too then. And you can always swap around of course. Why don't you first buy a Loki and try it with the ModiMB?

About choices:
Yesterday it became clear to me that I need to prepare things for my son's first HiFi set. Thank god we have Schiit available but to make things difficult I need something that works from his phone to the system below 300 euros. Loudspeakers I have for him already (6 Ohm/ 90dB and they like some Watts-> dissipation is 150W)

Any one a suggestion? Perhaps a SYS with a Modi3 plus a BT receiver and a cheap power amp?

I'd go with modi 3 and Yamaha RS202BL it sells for between. 129 and 149 usd. he can run usb from his phone to modi 3, and the amp has built in Bluetooth, but no dac or inputs. I bought one a few weeks ago for my garage. Haven't gotten it hooked up yet,(hopefully tonight) but it gets rave reviews on price/performance ratio. It has a remote & tuner.

Im Looking to buy a second schiit dac for that.

I did a lot of research since schiit doesn't offer anything in that segment. Chose it over integrateds from Dayton audio, Sony, emotiva, and some other amazon stuff.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #38,805 of 152,718

About choices:

If you really love your son just give him all your stuff and begin anew yourself.
And learn him telephones and hifi don't match.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back