Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #38,731 of 152,990
My portion of a DIY project is nearly completed. The feet and top are temporary, I had some extra quartered oak and copper laying around so it was nice to use them up. Dual 100k stepped Alps pots.

The finished Class A tube type headphone amp should have a couple sets of inputs to accommodate a Schiit DAC or other device.
You do beautiful work.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #38,732 of 152,990
You do beautiful work.

Thanks! Sometimes it is functional as well. This cabinet is heavy for a reason, I know of folks who use special platforms for this amp to reduce microphonics, I have never had that issue. That is one inch thick oak with a two pound plate on the top as it sits now. The height also allows people to use coke can size capacitors as some are known to do when they get into serious modification.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #38,733 of 152,990
Really, if the Modi 3 is a good fit for your needs/budget, the last thing you should worry about is which power supply it is using. Instead, focusing on well-recorded music, a nice matching amp, and solid headphones would make a lot more sense.
This. A new product is announced (haven't even heard it yet) and the first thought is "I want a better wall wart"? The next thing will be wanting a better USB cable (ha, now I've planted the thought in his head). It takes a shift in mentality to focus on things that really matter.

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #38,735 of 152,990
This. A new product is announced (haven't even heard it yet) and the first thought is "I want a better wall wart"? The next thing will be wanting a better USB cable (ha, now I've planted the thought in his head). It takes a shift in mentality to focus on things that really matter.

Why not try a decent whisky. That's a better upgrade than any expensive wall-wart.

lBWuwct.png

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #38,737 of 152,990

Looks like yet another generic switching supply.

I'd keep in mind that Jason said any incoming noise is effectively filtered out by how the DAC uses the 5 volts.

If you insist on a USB power supply to replace the stock one, consider getting a linear one. But keep in mind that if you are rolling a $100 supply into a $100 DAC, maybe you should go up to Modi Multibit or the Bifrost family.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #38,738 of 152,990
Or better yet, how about a "discontinued product archive" section so people who are considering buying an older used Schitt product can do some research on its specs and features.

You know, I've been meaning to ask @Jason Stoddard about this very thing. I've even taken to copying photos and text from the ad copy to my RAID, since it seems like every time something is superseded or discontinued, all the manuals and other info simply disappears. :thinking:

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #38,739 of 152,990
I have zero issues with the build on these. They’re heavy but very comfortable somehow, and no issues at all with the build. Dunno what those other folks got...

I've heard of some having the yokes drilled in an asymmetrical manner, and some that had the yoke attachment screws just pop out. These issues do not (yet) appear to be an issue with my pair.

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #38,740 of 152,990
You know, I've been meaning to ask @Jason Stoddard about this very thing. I've even taken to copying photos and text from the ad copy to my RAID, since it seems like every time something is superseded or discontinued, all the manuals and other info simply disappears. :thinking:
An archive page... it can be a tab in the “guides” or “about us” pages. Makes sense to me.

I've heard of some having the yokes drilled in an asymmetrical manner, and some that had the yoke attachment screws just pop out. These issues do not (yet) appear to be an issue with my pair.
Thanks for the observation, @riffrafff . I also read Massdrop clients who complained about splitting foam pad-seams... and more seriously, cable joints prematurely wearing out. It makes me value my Senheisser cans that much more. And that’s the inherent failing of the ‘net... I can easily fall victim to confirmation bias. Ah, I must remain a critical media consumer.

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #38,741 of 152,990
I've had a lot of variation in the VAC coming into my house lately. My Ragnarok and Gumby multibit sound fine at 117 VAC and above - goes up to 122 at times. My VAC meter is out of direct sight so a few times a week things suddenly don't sound so well. Kinda bright, kinda flat. I look over and its 114, 115, low 116.

Most consumer electronics specify an input voltage range. I have noticed that Schiit doesn't seem to. But, you can easily test your Rag and Gumby to verify the voltages at which you are hearing these abnormalities. Borrow a variac and document the sound at different input voltages. Empirical verification and all that.

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #38,742 of 152,990
Most consumer electronics specify an input voltage range. I have noticed that Schiit doesn't seem to. But, you can easily test your Rag and Gumby to verify the voltages at which you are hearing these abnormalities. Borrow a variac and document the sound at different input voltages. Empirical verification and all that.

Yeah I tried that back around '02, but the variac was pretty old and seemed 'dirty'. Newer better one would probably do.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #38,744 of 152,990
The dirty usb power may not make affect Modi 3's sound, but other components may not be immune. Not every component has built-in power regeneration.
By what mechanism? The DAC's analog output comes from the regenerated power. SMPSs inject some high-frequency noise into the AC wiring that may end injecting a bit of noise into other components connected to the same AC circuit, but there so many SMPSs and other noise generators (refrigerators, AC, ...) in the typical house that one more is not going to make much of a difference. There might be other, more indirect paths, but again if you are worrying about that subtler interference, your gear is way too resolving to settle for a $99 DAC.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #38,745 of 152,990
Schiit Automotive Audio?! Is that possible? Not my cup of tea, but....

They should make a deal with Daimler. I'd love to see some Schiit installed at our factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back