Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #38,041 of 152,757
LOL 96khz, He must be a bat. Notice the Mytec stuff in the background.:rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #38,042 of 152,757

If it's rock.n.roll bagpipes you want

Bon Scott played the pipes solo at live gigs, amazing that Angus is still playing 43 years later (still, not quite in the Sir Mick range yet).
:metal:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #38,043 of 152,757
Just been trying to find great music performed by young people today that's not crap.
Actually it's not very hard.:dt880smile:

Sadly I missed the Bon Scott part of AC/DC, but was there for Back in Black:metal:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #38,045 of 152,757
Very cool indeed. I will most likely paint the heat sinks on mine, there is paint made to withstand over 500 degrees F for outdoor grills so that will certainly qualify for what I am doing. My ACA will look a bit like some work by JamieMcC as I recall, I like to give credit where it is due. What speakers will you use? I have no doubt with the Freya, the sound is quite good.

Sounds like a work of art you've got scoped out. Show and tell please when it's done.

I sidelined the Vidar and hooked up the ACA mono blocks to the Freya (fed by an HTPC RCA Digital Out to a Modi Multibit) this morning via the balanced inter-connects. Initially, I thought something was wrong because I didn't pick up any sound initially but it was just the lower gain from the ACA. Those 128 steps of attenuation on the Freya can catch you out sometimes.

Once I cranked the volume dial over, music filled the room. I wasn't "allowed" to invoke full power - my other half was stressing out over our daughter's ears. Even so, I reckon I could get party volumes out of the combo (not that that is the prime objective, just good to know). It was also great to hear the ground hum that I'd picked up from a mess of cables behind all my gear disappear from the sound envelope.

Regarding your question, the speakers are a set of Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL floor standers. They're an Ozzie make from a bloke called Edward down in Adelaide. They have the following claimed specs:
  • Power Handling: 220 WRMS
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Frequency Response: 25 - 40,000 Hertz +/-2dB with gradual roll-off giving usable response to low 20s
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB 1W/1m
  • Drivers: 2 x 225 mm fast kevlar cone bass drivers; 150mm high end papyrus cone SB Acoustics midrange with ultra flat response; Superb smooth ribbon tweeter capable of response beyond 50 kHz.
The listening position is about 2.5 m from the front edge of the speakers. The room is about 10 m long and about 5 m wide with a hallway disappearing down behind the audio gear on one side. Wooden floors.

I could probably do some room treatment but I'm happy enough with the performance I get.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #38,046 of 152,757
Just been trying to find great music performed by young people today that's not crap.
Actually it's not very hard.:dt880smile:

Sadly I missed the Bon Scott part of AC/DC, but was there for Back in Black:metal:

Agreed, you can't beat Bon Scott as Acca Dacca's front man. Even so, Brian Johnson really excelled with B-in-B. Kudos to him for setting his own style and the band for keeping going.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #38,047 of 152,757
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #38,048 of 152,757
I struggled with EAC... it didn’t make sense to me. I use iTunes to rip up my discs and spit out ALAC files. Meh, I know it’s a bloated app; however, I understand how it organizes my albums/artists. I pipe it from my desktop to my listening nook (via Window’s Homegroup), where I use Foobar2000 on a beater laptop to feed my brushed-aluminum stack (ModiMB).
MP3Tag and Roon, eh? I’ll check them out. Thanks @golfbravobravo .

I rediscovered Pink Floyd’s The Wall (a 1994 Columbia CD issue). My Loki adjusted it... so it sounded like how I remembered it. I’m a happy Schiithead. :ksc75smile:

I would look at dBpoweramp for ripping software. It is far superior to iTunes as it uses the AccurateRip database to confirm rips are bit perfect. Yes, it does cost money but it is cheap for what it does.

The best CD version of "The Wall" is the 1985 West German "Harvest" release with the black CD artwork (CDP 7 46036 8). It's the best of the original releases, including those from Japan, and is better than all the remasters. Even the MFSL release is not as good....I know as I have that too.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #38,050 of 152,757
I'll just leave this here. :L3000: On Tidal

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #38,051 of 152,757
I struggled with EAC... it didn’t make sense to me. I use iTunes to rip up my discs and spit out ALAC files. Meh, I know it’s a bloated app; however, I understand how it organizes my albums/artists. I pipe it from my desktop to my listening nook (via Window’s Homegroup), where I use Foobar2000 on a beater laptop to feed my brushed-aluminum stack (ModiMB).

I rediscovered Pink Floyd’s The Wall (a 1994 Columbia CD issue). My Loki adjusted it... so it sounded like how I remembered it. I’m a happy Schiithead. :ksc75smile:
Sounds like a work of art you've got scoped out. Show and tell please when it's done.

I sidelined the Vidar and hooked up the ACA mono blocks to the Freya (fed by an HTPC RCA Digital Out to a Modi Multibit) this morning via the balanced inter-connects. Initially, I thought something was wrong because I didn't pick up any sound initially but it was just the lower gain from the ACA. Those 128 steps of attenuation on the Freya can catch you out sometimes.

Once I cranked the volume dial over, music filled the room. I wasn't "allowed" to invoke full power - my other half was stressing out over our daughter's ears. Even so, I reckon I could get party volumes out of the combo (not that that is the prime objective, just good to know). It was also great to hear the ground hum that I'd picked up from a mess of cables behind all my gear disappear from the sound envelope.

Regarding your question, the speakers are a set of Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL floor standers. They're an Ozzie make from a bloke called Edward down in Adelaide. They have the following claimed specs:
  • Power Handling: 220 WRMS
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Frequency Response: 25 - 40,000 Hertz +/-2dB with gradual roll-off giving usable response to low 20s
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB 1W/1m
  • Drivers: 2 x 225 mm fast kevlar cone bass drivers; 150mm high end papyrus cone SB Acoustics midrange with ultra flat response; Superb smooth ribbon tweeter capable of response beyond 50 kHz.
The listening position is about 2.5 m from the front edge of the speakers. The room is about 10 m long and about 5 m wide with a hallway disappearing down behind the audio gear on one side. Wooden floors.

I could probably do some room treatment but I'm happy enough with the performance I get.

It sounds like you are pretty well set. This page shows a look that caused me to want to go with certain cosmetics, JamieMcC does some amazing things.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pass-diy-headphone-amp-whammy.877569/page-2

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #38,053 of 152,757
RTFM. You want one matched pair for the gain tubes and the other matched pair for the cathode followers (may be called buffers).

JC

After careful and detailed study (and help from this and other fora) I can declare with some confidence that TFM says only " The right tubes are for the differential voltage gain stage. The left tubes are for the cathode follower output stage. All tubes are of the same type on Freya."

Given that I have as much chance of understanding colloquial Martian as I do of that paragraph, I was looking for actual help in determining how to locate the problem tube.

Thanks for the input, I'm sure you think you have been helpful.

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #38,055 of 152,757

EAC can be a bit of a handful to get started. Every time I go back to it I have to remeber that to produce flac one must use the compress option. It does produce amazing reults though. And the desired file layout and naming takes some effort, but for me that's a one off.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back