PASS DIY Headphone Amp - WHAMMY
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 274
I learned about the build from Highflyin9 and he is a gentleman whose opinions I value and after watching the video, I knew this should be a quality amp.

I got interrupted or my build time would have been roughly six hours, I wanted to use dual Alps single gang pots but the cabinet size would not allow for that. I may build another down the road and steal, um borrow Highflyin's info on the other cabinet.:beyersmile:
Haha thank you good sir. Please do try an IAG cabinet :) Horace makes great quality stuff and can do custom sizes (again, no affiliation, just been using his chassis for years). If anyone needs size information just shoot me a PM. As mentioned over PM great work on your build!

Very clean build. Looking forward to more listening impressions as it burns in.

Were any of the parts hard to find or just easily obtained from Digikey and Mouser?
I've got some dual Bursons on the way, will be doing some serious listening once they arrive. All the standard parts other than the toroid can be purchased at Mouser. The toroid is at Digikey.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 274
I grabbed the Hammond cabinet at Digikey as well, HM1506-ND.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 274
Very cool. I know you are artistic so please try to make yours as plain as possible so I do not become jealous and have to rebuild my own in another cabinet. Maybe a matte black finish with some scratches in it would be a good look for you.:smile_phones:

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 274
The parts were not hard to find, I ordered a few caps from Digikey and Mouser but most of the resistors I owned as 2% parts. A couple I had to use in parallel to achieve 499 ohm etc. I have several very accurate meters so on some I just tried combinations till I got the exact results I wanted. The Hammond case is quite snug but I wanted the ruggedness over beauty since I may use the amp outdoors some.

lol not sure what I am going to do yet case wise, I hate to buy something off the shelf when I have bits and pieces available that I could use to knock something up with.

I need to find a suitable transformer that I can source here in the UK. The Amgis don't look to be available over here.

Edit

Bingo just found the Talema 70065K 25VA 2x115V 2x22V from RS components here in the UK with free next day shipping. I was checking out Hiflyings pics and noticed he used different make to those listed on the Whammy build page at Diyaudio.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/2239430/

They also stock the Hammond enclosure which makes it tempting to order both at once :thinking:

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 274
I am glad you found it Jamie and of course i was kidding about your case appearance.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 274
Bingo just found the Talema 70065K 25VA 2x115V 2x22V from RS components here in the UK with free next day shipping. I was checking out Hiflyings pics and noticed he used different make to those listed on the Whammy build page at Diyaudio.
Talema is a well-respected brand, I paid a couple extra dollars for the name :wink: I'm sure they're both identical inside buuuut OCD, haha.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 274
You would probably snicker if you saw some of the parts I used, but the amp sounds very good indeed.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #24 of 274
Hey, if it works, it works! ...so long as you didn't use mismatching cap types/values on each channel!

hdch.gif

:dt880smile:

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #25 of 274
um no, nothing like that lol.

I am now listening to some of my all time favorite test music and I am still impressed with this amp. High impedance headphones, low impedance, all impressive.
Accurate sound with a very tight bass.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 274
How would this compare to an F5 in driving Hifiman HE6 (i.e., hard-to-drive planars)? Trying to decide whether to build an F5 customized for headphones or WHAMMY.

My headphones are all pretty hard to drive (HE6, Pioneer SE700, etc.) -- I need both voltage swing and current. I have been using a modified LM4780 gainclone to good effect.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 274
Mine cost closer to $100 but I have a lot of parts in my shop.

May 12, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #30 of 274
How would this compare to an F5 in driving Hifiman HE6 (i.e., hard-to-drive planars)? Trying to decide whether to build an F5 customized for headphones or WHAMMY.

My headphones are all pretty hard to drive (HE6, Pioneer SE700, etc.) -- I need both voltage swing and current. I have been using a modified LM4780 gainclone to good effect.

Have a look at the Nelson Pass ACA its 6w also uses jfets and there are many reports of the Pass DIY forum that the ACA and the F5 sound similar.

The ACA is just epic with the HE-6 I have built a couple of them now using a Bottlehead Quickie in front of it. They are real easy to put together. The full Kit costs $317 but if you just buy the pcbs $19 sourcing heatsinks of ebay you should be able to easy build one for half that. Forget all the talk about 100W amps being a must with the HE6 been their done that tried a good dozen different amps up to 150w mono blocks and intergrated and the 6w ACA has easily bested them all. You could drive the ACA with the Whammy!

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

A couple of ACA pics

7547177_l.jpg

7547174_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back