Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #36,586 of 150,571
Michael Hedges has been "accused" of reinventing the acoustic guitar playing. Who could disagree with that after watching him play tunes like Silent Anticipations?

Indeed, he is among those special ones that deserve every praise they get. IMO, it's not only the technical aspect, but the fact -at least is a fact to me- that he sounds completely fresh. There is no other guitar player that resembles what he does.

I remember a Mike Keneally interview (great multi instrumentalist who has worked with Frank Zappa & Steve Vai, among others) who said something like "Buckethead music is like going on a rollercoaster ride with your eyes closed, it surprises you all the time with unexpected twists, ups & downs". Considering Buckethead's fascination with theme parks, I think that's a great way to describe his music.

My contribution to these last pages would be Andy Timmons. Considering how great he is, he is extremely underrated. I'd say he is like the perfect blend between SRV, Hendrix & Satriani. He has all the chops to play whatever he wants but he never ceases to be super melodic, also... he is one of those live performers that leaves you speechless (just watch the last video) cause he plays the hardest parts like nothing, while looking like he is possessed :D

(not a big fan of his voice, but please pay attention to all the guitar parts, those are perfect examples of picking the right notes and spaces between them)

Oh and his guitar tone is from another planet!!!

Watched the last vid, Wow that guy can play for sure... Even on my phone it was awesome, but scotch mod.....

I will listen to the other tracks tomorrow on my hp rig. That guy gets into it, his head movements gave me a headache... Couldn't help but chuckle at some of his facial expressions. He's really into his jam.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #36,588 of 150,571
Michael Hedges has been "accused" of reinventing the acoustic guitar playing. Who could disagree with that after watching him play tunes like Silent Anticipations?

Indeed, he is among those special ones that deserve every praise they get. IMO, it's not only the technical aspect, but the fact -at least is a fact to me- that he sounds completely fresh. There is no other guitar player that resembles what he does.

I remember a Mike Keneally interview (great multi instrumentalist who has worked with Frank Zappa & Steve Vai, among others) who said something like "Buckethead music is like going on a rollercoaster ride with your eyes closed, it surprises you all the time with unexpected twists, ups & downs". Considering Buckethead's fascination with theme parks, I think that's a great way to describe his music.

My contribution to these last pages would be Andy Timmons. Considering how great he is, he is extremely underrated. I'd say he is like the perfect blend between SRV, Hendrix & Satriani. He has all the chops to play whatever he wants but he never ceases to be super melodic, also... he is one of those live performers that leaves you speechless (just watch the last video) cause he plays the hardest parts like nothing, while looking like he is possessed :D

(not a big fan of his voice, but please pay attention to all the guitar parts, those are perfect examples of picking the right notes and spaces between them)

Wow, that Michael Hedges video is great! That's the kind of playing that Tommy Emmanuel is also capable of doing.
Agree about Andy Timmons! He is superb in the Protocol projects playing with Simon Phillips... :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #36,589 of 150,571
I use the iFi iEMatch [1] on my Fulla 2 driving a pair of Grado SR 80e and love it. Prior to the iFi I was limited to 7 - 8 on the volume pot. Now, depending on the sensitivity setting, I have use of the pot from 11 - 5 which offers a lot more granular control. One can argue the merits of purchasing a $49 accessory to mate with a $99 amp but for me it was well worth it. The Fulla 2 is wicked good for $99!

[1] https://ifi-audio.com/products/iematch/

Thanks for the tip. I will see how this adapter does and if I am not happy with it, I will look into the iFi.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #36,590 of 150,571

Another female guitarist I enjoy is Tal Wilkenfeld, I first heard her with Jeff Beck.

She is a singer, songwriter, bassist, guitarist who has played with Chick Corea, Prince, Herbie Hancock, etc.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #36,592 of 150,571
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #36,593 of 150,571
You've just described most of Joe Satriani's music. Most, but not all.
Surfing With The Alien. Great album.

...and then, in later albums, he started singing [shudder].

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #36,594 of 150,571

Another female guitarist I enjoy is Tal Wilkenfeld, I first heard her with Jeff Beck.

She is a singer, songwriter, bassist, guitarist who has played with Chick Corea, Prince, Herbie Hancock, etc.

Don’t forget Orianthi!

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #36,595 of 150,571
Surfing With The Alien. Great album.

...and then, in later albums, he started singing [shudder].

Don't get me wrong -- technically, Joe Satriani is outstanding, but sometimes his music just seems to lack emotion and doesn't get me involved. My favorite cut of his is 'Flying in a Blue Dream', which to me has both components -- technical and emotion. It's not just him, though -- I can say the same thing about some of Carlos Santana's guitar work.

Agreed. He just needs to stick to guitar and hire a singer. :D

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #36,596 of 150,571
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #36,597 of 150,571
Watched the last vid, Wow that guy can play for sure... Even on my phone it was awesome, but scotch mod...

He is among those monster players who -when playing live- are able to pull off perfectly everything what they do in the studio. Also, Andy is much more than another virtuoso, he has plenty of "slow" tunes. Some other examples that could appeal to you:

If you like those videos, I recommend you the albums:

That Was Then, This Is Now (it's a collection of two previous albums called Ear X-Tacy 1 & 2 and a great exposition to what Andy is capable of).

Resolution (this was released on 2006 and it's a much more mature album with less flashy stuff).

That guy gets into it, his head movements gave me a headache... Couldn't help but chuckle at some of his facial expressions. He's really into his jam.

That Michael Hedges video was insane. He gets so into it, those expression tho haha.

Hahaha, yes. Michael Hedges, Andy Timmons, Steve Vai, Pat Metheny are good examples of guys who get so into the "zone" they just don't care about being "goofy" on stage. Steve Vai goes beyond that and he even makes fun of himself saying the finger muscles are connected to the facial ones, so the more ridiculous face expressions you make, the better you play lol.

Wow, that Michael Hedges video is great! That's the kind of playing that Tommy Emmanuel is also capable of doing.

That's true, Tommy Emmanuel is from another planet too. No matter how many times I've watched it, this video still impresses me...

By the way, Hedges has other examples that are much more mellow and not that pyrotechnic:

One of the aspects of his playing that made him so special and I forgot to comment is, when he appeared for the first time, a lot of people thought what they were hearing were two guitar players. A friend of mine was one of them, he said something like "beautiful guitars", I replied "it's only one guy, playing both parts at the same time", he said "no way!!!". Yes way...

Agree about Andy Timmons! He is superb in the Protocol projects playing with Simon Phillips... :)

Philips & Timmons are a great combo, here the entire band sounds so tight it's like they've been together for years (which wasn't the case)...

Regarding "regular" folks doing covers, are you guys aware of César Huesca? he is a mexican fella who has a good amount of great covers. This Surfing with the Alien one is maybe the most impressive version that I've ever heard. It's 99% identical not because he isn't able to get to 100% but because he decided to improvise here and there.

PS: Damn long post, but it's your fault, I'm a guitar nerd and once I start you have to shut me down :D

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #36,600 of 150,571

On the Andy Timmons front, probably my favorite album he features on is Simon Phillip's Protocol III. His playing is simply sublime on it: a great Fusion record. I think he recorded one of his most soulful tunes on it with Amrita

Users who are viewing this thread

Back