Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #36,603 of 149,387
Unless this is old information I believe she is in the process of releasing her first vocal album.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/talwilkenfeld

I want to listen to a couple things from the album first but mostly likely I will order the Vinyl.

I too am a fan of Tal Wilkenfeld's bass playing. I've never seen her play a guitar, but on the bass she's uber-fine.
Seems that Tal is late on releasing her solo album (linked above)...if you want nasty internet experience, read those comments.

Thanks to @Oveja Negra for your posts of exceptional artists.
The more I see of Michael Hedges, the more I like his playing.
With Michael, and Tommy, the guitar seems like an extension of their mind...the physical instrument disappears and you're inside their head. :)

ps. Got Protocol III inside my head at the moment.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #36,604 of 149,387
This album is a love letter to New York City. It came up for me on Spotify Discover Weekly, and I really enjoy it. Also on Tidal and other services.

160x160.jpg

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #36,606 of 149,387
Jimmy Herring is now playing for Widespread Panic (some very nice playing on the album "Street Dogs") but here's a clip of him playing with his trio. For those with a short attention span skip to 2:14 for the solo.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #36,607 of 149,387
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #36,608 of 149,387
Jason, you know this but many here my not.

Just wanted to add,volume controls or potentiometers generally sound better as they get closer to the high end of their range and the signal has less of the resister track to flow through.

"A potentiometer is a three-terminal resistor with a sliding or rotating contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider." from Wiki.

Stled

I have found this to be an odd side-benefit of owning a very low gain amp. One of my headphone amps is a Dragon Inspire IHA-1. It is single stage 6SN7 so the amplification factor is low. With my LCD-2s I can max out the volume and it's not even loud, I would describe it as just a bit north of comfortable. This is a stepped potentiometer, and when you move from the second to last step to the very last one there is a small but cleary audible jump in transparency and low level detail. My understanding would be that the last step would have no resistor since it is not attenuating anything, so this presents an interesting way to observe the effect of removing a single resistor from the signal path. Is it controlled? Not at all since there is a volume increase associated, but I find it improves the resolution of the amp enough that I ended up favoring using the LCD-2 with it so I could run it with the volume maxed out.

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #36,609 of 149,387

Interesting video, I do not watch much network tv so that may be how I missed her. Thanks for posting that, I cannot do much searching for such things at work, but I was about to look her up tonight and you saved me the trouble.

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #36,610 of 149,387
Actually she
Interesting video, I do not watch much network tv so that may be how I missed her. Thanks for posting that, I cannot do much searching for such things at work, but I was about to look her up tonight and you saved me the trouble.
She has at least two albums out, and she was lead guitar for what was to be Michael Jackson’s final tour. Santana also asked her to play onstage with him.

Aug 14, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #36,611 of 149,387
My latest project will involve a dove tailed wooden box with wooden tool box approximately 16" long, 8" deep and 6" tall. Inside will be USB battery packs, dual Coaster amps, Raspberry Pi with touch screen and DAC, a space for a pair of circum-aural headphones. A complete, portable headphone system in one box and room for cables and maybe other devices. I have spent all of ten minutes thinking about this but it is completely doable.

I should mention I am constantly hauling portable devices to my fire pit area and this is an easy way to keep everything together. Most likely I will install female jacks so I can plug additional power and headphones into the outside of the box. I also have small blue tooth speakers that can be hauled as well.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #36,613 of 149,387
Great couple of days on the thread. Thanks everyone for the contributions, I have discovered new music to listen to and variety is the spice of life :)

Let me add one more.... very hard to find this though, not on Spottily and I don't have Tidal so don't know if it's there. https://www.discogs.com/Loose-Change-Live-At-The-Grainstore/release/5237997
If you can find it anywhere, it's well worth a listen

Drummer is Virgil Donati, with some other great players. Was recorded live to 2 track at a nightclub in Melbourne. I was there, and it was a great night. Scary that it was 30 years ago...

@Oveja Negra ... the guitarist on this (Mark Domoney) is great :)

Edit: Looks like it might be on iTunes Store, at least it is for me in Australia

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #36,614 of 149,387
Great couple of days on the thread. Thanks everyone for the contributions, I have discovered new music to listen to and variety is the spice of life :)
Ditto, I was sure this would devolve but didn’t. Something in there to keep everyone a little busy discovering. Yay.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #36,615 of 149,387

Users who are viewing this thread

Back