Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 13, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #36,572 of 155,168
Thanks!

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #36,574 of 155,168
Michael Hedges is a unique artist, in his own category. I saw him once, second row. Jaw on the floor, so amazing. His early death (drove off a road) was genuine tragedy.

Michael Hedges has been "accused" of reinventing the acoustic guitar playing. Who could disagree with that after watching him play tunes like Silent Anticipations?

One of the best technical guitarists of all time. The C2B3 "Big Eyeball" album is one of my faves..

Indeed, he is among those special ones that deserve every praise they get. IMO, it's not only the technical aspect, but the fact -at least is a fact to me- that he sounds completely fresh. There is no other guitar player that resembles what he does.

I remember a Mike Keneally interview (great multi instrumentalist who has worked with Frank Zappa & Steve Vai, among others) who said something like "Buckethead music is like going on a rollercoaster ride with your eyes closed, it surprises you all the time with unexpected twists, ups & downs". Considering Buckethead's fascination with theme parks, I think that's a great way to describe his music.

My contribution to these last pages would be Andy Timmons. Considering how great he is, he is extremely underrated. I'd say he is like the perfect blend between SRV, Hendrix & Satriani. He has all the chops to play whatever he wants but he never ceases to be super melodic, also... he is one of those live performers that leaves you speechless (just watch the last video) cause he plays the hardest parts like nothing, while looking like he is possessed :D

(not a big fan of his voice, but please pay attention to all the guitar parts, those are perfect examples of picking the right notes and spaces between them)

Oh and his guitar tone is from another planet!!!

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #36,575 of 155,168
We all have our own taste, But that type of music is all about technique and showing off. Where is the song? Where is the melody, the hook that captures you? He needs some lessons from Jeff Beck.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #36,576 of 155,168
We all have our own taste, But that type of music is all about technique and showing off. Where is the song? Where is the melody, the hook that captures you? He needs some lessons from Jeff Beck.

That's pretty much how I feel about Yngwie Malmsteen. He seems to be quite the technical guitarist, but I've never heard anything by him that moved me.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #36,577 of 155,168
You've just described most of Joe Satriani's music. Most, but not all.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #36,579 of 155,168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back