Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #33,856 of 150,081
Loki Maxi, LYR3 Maxi, CD Spin Maxi.
What do you think the differentiator(s) would be between the Mjolnir 2 (current flagship tube headphone amp) vs. the theoretical Lyr 3 Maxi?

Mike

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #33,857 of 150,081
Honestly, no idea. But I do like balanced operation and full sized (as in at least MJ2 sized) cases. The little ones are cute but I'm not into desktop operation and would like more features (remote volume and/or 128 steps like Freya, etc.,) Options for a DAC or Phono (or DAC "&" Phono)
and of course it would service preamp duties to drive a Vidar or other amp in SE or balanced, provides for a lot of different user needs. And whatever differences the sound of 6SN7 versus 6DJ8 bring to the table.

I'm actually quite surprised Schiit didn't put a 4 pin balanced out on the Freya and wonder if there is a possibility to have 2 balanced outputs (with a 2 6SN7 design) given only one half the tube is used per each channel in a design with 2 tubes. Saga / LYR3 - Freya / ?

Of course, what I would like and what is marketable are 2 different things.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #33,860 of 150,081
ALAC and FLAC are the same music.
Only difference is ALAC works with Apple, and FLAC works with everything but Apple.

I understand they're both lossless, but if they were "the same," FLAC would work with Apple. ALAC was proprietary for the longest time; they finally opened it.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #33,861 of 150,081
I understand they're both lossless, but if they were "the same," FLAC would work with Apple. ALAC was proprietary for the longest time; they finally opened it.
He meant they're both lossless, which essentially means they're the same music. FLAC doesn't work with Apple because they decided not to support it, but if you convert a FLAC file to ALAC and compare to a file that was originally ALAC, it should be the same (absent any metadata differences).

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #33,863 of 150,081
Feels like a pretty sleepy year so far. What products are we expecting by Christmas?
Bosie - you just flew across 10 time zones...you're supposed to be sleepy!

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #33,865 of 150,081
Feels like a pretty sleepy year so far. What products are we expecting by Christmas?

Well, I keep reading references (here and elsewhere) to a global electronic parts shortage, so that may be throwing a wrench into their release plans (and probably causing backorders on current products). It would be nice if @Jason Stoddard posted something about it if it's true.

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #33,867 of 150,081
They are the same lossless algorithm, as previously stated....my syntax was a bit off.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #33,868 of 150,081

Users who are viewing this thread

Back