Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #33,841 of 149,692
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #33,842 of 149,692
Still dreaming of a Loki Maxi with balance control.
...still satisfied with my Loki Mini. Fun little toy. Curious to see how @Baldr ’s “the gadget” pairs up with it.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #33,844 of 149,692
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #33,846 of 149,692
I had "Journey To The Center of the Earth" back when it came out. Mind you this is Junior High and High School, but that was great stuff. I have also been near to the Sneiffelsness (sp?) volcano in Iceland where the travelers entered the portal into the Earth. I loved it at a teen, I cannot say how it would work now. "Brain Salad Surgery" was also a favorite of mine at the time, so that may mean something, and I played some of "Tales From Topographic Oceans" this evening, so you have a sense of some of my musical fondness. This may or may not help, but it's fun to share.

I have the album of "Tales" and the CD of "Tarkus". I enjoy both but not as much as "Brain Salad Surgery".

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #33,847 of 149,692
I thought that the Journey to the center of the earth album, if memory serves, was mediocre, at best.
But that was 40+ years ago and I didn't keep it, as it wasn't 'up to snuff' so to speak.

And for me the 'new guy' at IF has yet to prove himself one way or the other.
I can say his glorified product announcements (press releases) of new products are, besides being fluffy filler pieces, are disappointments.

Just my 2¢

JJ

He seems to type up ad copy. There are only so many ways a pig can squeal (or yes, a toad can croak) and I doubt he loses sleep over my comments on his squealing. Tyl was one of "us", if you will. I knew him first from the motorcycle forum and finally met him at an audio show and discovered that he is indeed, a regular guy.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #33,848 of 149,692
Like the album, Meddle ...right?
I need to pull out my CDs and re-rip them. ALAC instead of AAC (doubt if I’ll hear a difference). Weird pops & gaps at the end of each track.

Meddle for sure. And live shows from 1970 & 1971. Once Dark Side came along their shows became live versions of the albums, and while fun in some ways, they lost/gave away the freedom to change things up. People wanted the hits and so that's what they performed, leaving behind songs like "Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun."

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #33,849 of 149,692
US Blues that looks like a very nice setup you have, Yggy to Freya to dual Vidars.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #33,850 of 149,692
So I gotta comment on the Magni 3 preamp function and Mimbys usage on a desktop 2.1 system. It's just a cheap/old Altec Lansing system I bought off Amazon about 8 years ago. It gets plenty loud so I had it relegated to garage duty. I've decided to bring my large 2 channel system into the garage until winter, as I don't spend any time in the basement, and wanted better sound outside. So I brought the desktop speakers to work for use with my Schiit stack.

Man what an improvement the Mimby/Magni makes on this little system. My cheapo system actually has stereo imaging, depth, what I will call spatial location (maybe soundstage is the word I'm looking for). It sounds pretty darn good. Not HD6xx good, but good enough where i don't feel the need to wear headphones all day to hear good music. On most songs it sounds like the voices and main pieces are coming from the space between the speakers, with the appropriate instrumentation coming from the left or right channel as appropriate. Volume control with Magni is very nice and gives me way more control then the dial on the speaker system.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #33,852 of 149,692
US Blues that looks like a very nice setup you have, Yggy to Freya to dual Vidars.

Thank you! It sounds wonderful, and while the B & W speakers are arguably the weak link, they sound really fine driven by the Vidar's. In due time I'll find the right upgrade, and happily the subs bring the bass that these floor standers lack.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #33,853 of 149,692
It is always important achieve a balance and if you are smart enough to recognize the limitations of a piece, you can work toward replacing it.

My office setup is not memorable but each piece is well matched and come to think of it, it was all free. I did pay for most all of the music so I have that expense.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #33,854 of 149,692
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #33,855 of 149,692
Piper, Saucerful of Secrets and More are fantastic stuff!

But the most underrated of all is The Final Cut IMHO. Even more depressing than The Wall but so well focused. I try to play it every November 11 and every time I do it feels uncannily relevant to the current world events. It's also Pink Floyd's best audiophile album.
thoroughly over looked mostly deals with Roger Waters and the non relationship with his father and the war, which affected most of his writings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back