Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #30,392 of 150,874
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #30,395 of 150,874
Oh, and two other things:

1. If you have an order in for a Jotunheim, don't panic--they're back in stock as of today, and we'll be contacting you to see if you want to change your order to the Multibit DAC module or move to Lyr 3.
2. Mike and I will be on video at 2PM PST this afternoon, talking about Lyr 3 and Jotunheim Multibit. It'll be on our Facebook page (and later, probably elsewhere, if you don't want to use Facebook.)

I love the idea of modular components!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #30,398 of 150,874
I sincerely think you guys @Schiit should name the new architecture

Modular
Quintessential
Architecture

Sounds like Volkswagen.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #30,399 of 150,874
2018, Chapter 5:
Where Do I Start?

Well, in short, the world is changing. You may have noticed that those expensive tubes for your Lyr keep getting more and more expensive. You may have noticed that really good tubes are getting harder to find. And you may have noticed that matching a pair of tubes can be a monumental pain in the rear end.

So yeah, the world changed, and so we changed with it. That’s why Lyr 3 has only a single tube. Because it’s a lot easier to get one great tube. Because there are good new-production 6SN7s out there. And because octals sound better.

I've been aware and concerned about the tube situation for some time. That's one of the reasons I was so interested when Saga was announced. My interest turned to admiration after hearing Saga in my own system. Thank you for making great sounding gear that's easy to own and maintain!

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #30,401 of 150,874
nice!!

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #30,403 of 150,874
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #30,405 of 150,874
So, I’m asking you: does a product like this proposed Asgard 3 make sense?

Or not?

Why?

@Jason Stoddard - Two things went through my head.
  1. Jotunheim is fantastic, balanced, and super functional for what it is.
  2. How could an Asgard 3 compete internally against the Jotunheim?
    • It would be SE, not balanced. (Or would it?)
    • It would obviously use the same chassis and,
    • the same internal DACs.
In short, I think it would have to find a way to differentiate itself from the Jotunheim. The only way it could is if it sounded different or better, or if it was cheaper. This way the user's preference on sound and/or wallet would determine which product they purchased. You could do a near-Class-A fully dual-mono type thingy. Maybe make it warmer sounding.

Honestly... All of that just sounds like a re-imagining of the Jot, and not a true alternative to it. As such, unless you can come up with alternate features that would let the Asgard 3 fulfill niches in the market the Jotunheim doesn't, I don't see how it would make sense.

Edit - At $249, it just seems like it could only be a Lite version of the Jot. It might sell well and gobble up Jotunheim sales while it's at it. I think the Jot is cheap enough though, considering it's a desktop unit that gets you everything for 5 to 6 Benjamins.

Edit 2 - I'd rather see the Asgard 3 take a step up in chassis size, and provide a full pivot point implementation / alternative to the Mj. More like a Super-Jotunheim. Besides, Asgard sits above Jotunheim in the 9 realms in Norse Mythology, so keeping it that way in the product line makes sense too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back