Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #30,079 of 150,368
0e6c7b3a58f1c81737ff16c4d19bec35.gif
banana_despicable_me.gif

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #30,080 of 150,368
Be careful tightening with anything but your fingers. You can end up turning something inside your amp or speakers instead. If your spades keep loosening and falling off, it usually means they are not perfectly flat, I went back to banana's.
That has been my experience with spades, they are not flat. When you tighten them down the pressure is on just part of the uneven surface. Then when you bump them they can turn like a wrench just a smidgen and now they are loose.

Depending on the binding post bare wire can start to get sheared. Also it's malleable so tightening can be a relative term as it deforms. I have some bare wire but bananas get my vote and is in the majority of use.

And even if they were machined flat and tightened to the point where the threads start to shear off Constanza would undo them with a wrench while Pietro is sleeping! That's just how they do things.
I did but there is no "spring flexibility" in the spades.
So if the cat roams around the back of the speaker she puls the spades of.
A pity for sure.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #30,081 of 150,368
Some Schiit related news, info@schiit advised me that they are transitioning their metal for the Modi line. Sounds to me like pressed in feet will be standard on the Modi's in the not too distant future. Glad my wait for pressed in feet won't be as long as ORT has to wait for VU meters.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #30,082 of 150,368
Some Schiit related news, info@schiit advised me that they are transitioning their metal for the Modi line. Sounds to me like pressed in feet will be standard on the Modi's in the not too distant future. Glad my wait for pressed in feet won't be as long as ORT has to wait for VU meters.
I got a Modi2 in February and the case was metal (rather than painted as my Wyrd), and it had pressed in feet.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #30,083 of 150,368
I got a Modi2 in February and the case was metal (rather than painted as my Wyrd), and it had pressed in feet.

Hmm, did you buy Mimby? The manual on their website still indicates stick on feet. Info@schiit couldn't comment whether I would get pressed in or stick on. I have an admittedly unreasonable disdain for stick on feet. Don't want to spend my money until I can be sure I won't get stick on.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #30,084 of 150,368
They should ad a note that those cables cannot hang on their own weight.
Well.... enough of this.
I have to use them and they were too expensive to throw away.
Duct tape and tie raps it is.

For those who may not know: There is something much better than duct tape! It's called Gaffer Tape; after retiring from being an analytical chemist, I was re-purposed for some years as a volunteer sound tech for a children's theater; there I discovered the most wonderful product since sliced bread: Gaffer Tape; it is a cloth tape (like duct tape) with a medical grade adhesive which tends to pull 'clean', rather than leaving much adhesive residue as you get with duct tape. It's also safe to use on skin, which happens from time to time in the theater.
examples: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/gaffers-tape/1727
While it's much more expensive than duct tape, I find well worth the extra $$$ when I need to tape something onto expensive gear, or where I will repeatedly pull the tape off and stick it back on multiple times. PE only seems to offer it in black, but theater supply houses have it in white as well.

(Aside: The late Carrie Fischer used to tell about how when making the first Star Wars movie, she was surprised to discover that they didn't have certain types of underwear in space--no bra ! ; they gaffer taped her breasts!)

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #30,085 of 150,368
Blue Jeans Cable is offering speaker cables with ultrasonically welded connectors (locking bananas, 45° spades, 25° spades, straight spades, forks). This holds the cable really well while allowing it to remain flat, as opposed to the MediaBridge bananas I have, where you have to bend the stranded wires 180°.

While I like my Ten White cable (10 AWG), I had to cut the bananas off on one end because my speakers didn't leave enough room in the back. It's nice that you can tighten them by rotating the cap, though.
Also, I can't say I heard a difference compared to the FosPower 12 AWG OFC cable I got from Amazon.

@Pietro Cozzi Tinin, have you checked whether you have excessive gravity at your place, causing all your cables to fall out? I'm sure Constanza was just trying to keep that from happening when she was back there.

944c02805647fd3433ef58b37b1c916b.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #30,086 of 150,368
3F0802F5-286B-4682-BF10-E6671B535D1C.jpeg
Hmm, did you buy Mimby? The manual on their website still indicates stick on feet. Info@schiit couldn't comment whether I would get pressed in or stick on. I have an admittedly unreasonable disdain for stick on feet. Don't want to spend my money until I can be sure I won't get stick on.
The Modi 2 I got recently had pressed on feet (see picture). All my previous purchases (amps in the picture and the mimby not pictured) have stick on feet.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #30,087 of 150,368
I wonder if Schiit will sell the new brushed cases as an upgrade for older gear? My Sys and Mani would look lovely next to Saga if they had a new suit of clothes.
:)

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #30,088 of 150,368
Blue Jeans Cable is offering speaker cables with ultrasonically welded connectors (locking bananas, 45° spades, 25° spades, straight spades, forks). This holds the cable really well while allowing it to remain flat, as opposed to the MediaBridge bananas I have, where you have to bend the stranded wires 180°.

While I like my Ten White cable (10 AWG), I had to cut the bananas off on one end because my speakers didn't leave enough room in the back. It's nice that you can tighten them by rotating the cap, though.
Also, I can't say I heard a difference compared to the FosPower 12 AWG OFC cable I got from Amazon.

@Pietro Cozzi Tinin, have you checked whether you have excessive gravity at your place, causing all your cables to fall out? I'm sure Constanza was just trying to keep that from happening when she was back there.

Please be advised that after much research, I have concluded that gravity is not a constant, as it increases with your age. At age >60, you will find that it is easy to get on the floor, but difficult to get back up. At 70, you have to avoid falling on the floor, and using the furniture to get back up. At 80, you fall all of the time, and call 911 to get back up. Enough proof??

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #30,090 of 150,368
Please be advised that after much research, I have concluded that gravity is not a constant, as it increases with your age. At age >60, you will find that it is easy to get on the floor, but difficult to get back up. At 70, you have to avoid falling on the floor, and using the furniture to get back up. At 80, you fall all of the time, and call 911 to get back up. Enough proof??
Someone tell this guy :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back