Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #29,806 of 150,684
Free open source program XLD on a Mac will batch process the transcoding. Pm me for help if you need it.

BTW, .aiff is the standard uncompressed auto format on CDs.

I use XLD also. Between that and Max I have all my Mac OS audio transcoding covered. Except for ringtones, for which I use Audacity. (I use Audacity for a lot of other stuff too, but it doesn’t end up on my phone.)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #29,809 of 150,684
FWIW I checked my pantry and all my Scotch is "whisky" on the label. All the brown liquids from Kentucky or Tennessee are labeled "whiskey." My three bottles from Ireland are also "whiskey," but my wife's bottle of Canadian Fireball is "whisky." I have two bottles from Japan also called "whiskey." It really doesn't matter to me I only care how it tastes not what they prefer to call themselves.

That sounds about right. Scotland and Canada spell it whisky. Most of the rest of the world uses whiskey. But like most generalizations, it can vary in detail.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #29,810 of 150,684
Look into a Raspberry Pi with a digital out board (Digi+ I think it's called?) I have one and love it. It's cheap and sounds great. A little work to set up but you can find info on the webz. It wont do Tidal but there are people using it with Spotify. I havent gotten that far with it yet. Rune Audio is the distro I use.

On a side note, I recently dropped Tidal and went back to Spotify Premium. The watermarking many labels use on lossless recordings is audible, and negated the benefits for me of paying extra for lossless.

Watermarking?

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #29,812 of 150,684
...snip...
To be classified a "bourbon," whiskey must contain at least 51% corn in the mash.
A bottle of Maker’s Mark is waiting for me at the end of the work week. Good.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #29,813 of 150,684
Watermarking?

Do a search on the forums, it's been discussed. Basically it's an alteration in the file like a watermark on paper that allows the source to be identified for purposes of protection IP. Problem is, it's audible. Really stupid because inaudible watermarks would have been easy to implement. The big labels are pathologically stupid and uncaring about their customers. All they want is money money money. I try to purchase music from sources that give most of the proceeds to the artists.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #29,814 of 150,684
Do a search on the forums, it's been discussed. Basically it's an alteration in the file like a watermark on paper that allows the source to be identified for purposes of protection IP. Problem is, it's audible. Really stupid because inaudible watermarks would have been easy to implement. The big labels are pathologically stupid and uncaring about their customers. All they want is money money money. I try to purchase music from sources that give most of the proceeds to the artists.

The watermarking is horrible. They put it in the audible range so it is all but impossible to remove.

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #29,816 of 150,684
OK...my favorite is Oban 14-yr.
Good choice, but Lagavulin 16-yr still takes the Islay/Western Scotland crown for me, leaving aside the rare, no longer made Port Ellen. You’d have to kill me to get my last precious unopened Gordon & Macphail bottling.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #29,818 of 150,684
LOKI needs 1 big brother the size of the bifrost and it needs to control Balance as well as EQ. No confusion in that lineup: Loki Mini or Loki with Balance control and higher end internals. $150 or $400.

Loki really needs to control the balance if it is to be a true solution for listeners who want to tweak their sound based on room conditions or just their own ears. Please give me a balance knob.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #29,819 of 150,684
LOKI needs 1 big brother the size of the bifrost and it needs to control Balance as well as EQ. No confusion in that lineup: Loki Mini or Loki with Balance control and higher end internals. $150 or $400.

Loki really needs to control the balance if it is to be a true solution for listeners who want to tweak their sound based on room conditions or just their own ears. Please give me a balance knob.

Im wondering/assuming that's one way they are considering packaging the Gadget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back