Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #29,776 of 149,130
As the bottles empty I'll be happy to soak off the labels and send them to you. :wink:

Let me know if you need help emptying those bottles. Pietro needs those labels.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #29,778 of 149,130
It would help to know the specific brand and model of speaker. 90db at 1 watt is relatively efficient, and max power ratings on good speakers are generally conservative.

That aside, an old receiver simply does not have the current delivery capability of a power amp like a Vidar. 100 watts does not always equal 100 watts. There may also be something at fault within the JVC that is triggering the protection circuit.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks, for the info. Speakers are wharfedale mfm 5s. I know they aren't common in the states. Bought em off ubid in college. Reviews I've seen have generally been favorable. I paid 150 total for two of em. To my ears they sound great, but I've never been to a high end store or an audio show, so my ears don't know what they are missing.

I have been looking into trying some Magnepan MMGi speakers out. 650 for a pair of US made speakers? 60 day trial? Sounds like a win. Anyone here ever heard or owned them, or paired them with a Vidar?

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #29,780 of 149,130
"Oh, caffeine in the morning, alcohol at night"- Father John Misty

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #29,781 of 149,130
Can someone advise whether my speakers are considered inefficient?

I regularly send my aging JVC into protection if I crank the volume for more then a few minutes. (it does 100 w max per channel) Listening to Classic Rock or Classical.

Speakers are
125 W max
90 DB
8 ohm
90db, if that is a genuine watt/meter measurement, is good sensitivity and not considered inefficient. 84db is considered inefficient. If you are sending your receiver into protection, then I suspect that either you are turning it up too loud and overdriving the amp, or your speakers are dipping to a low impedance like 2 ohms and overloading the amp, which again can be solved by turning down the volume. Now, if turning it down means you won't like the experience as much, you need to purchase a good amplifier.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #29,782 of 149,130
Thanks, for the info. Speakers are wharfedale mfm 5s. I know they aren't common in the states. Bought em off ubid in college. Reviews I've seen have generally been favorable. I paid 150 total for two of em. To my ears they sound great, but I've never been to a high end store or an audio show, so my ears don't know what they are missing.

I have been looking into trying some Magnepan MMGi speakers out. 650 for a pair of US made speakers? 60 day trial? Sounds like a win. Anyone here ever heard or owned them, or paired them with a Vidar?
I have the old MMG's being run by a Vidar, tuned by a Loki. They are great, can't be touched for the price. You will be surprised at how loud these can play.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #29,783 of 149,130
FWIW I checked my pantry and all my Scotch is "whisky" on the label. All the brown liquids from Kentucky or Tennessee are labeled "whiskey." My three bottles from Ireland are also "whiskey," but my wife's bottle of Canadian Fireball is "whisky." I have two bottles from Japan also called "whiskey." It really doesn't matter to me I only care how it tastes not what they prefer to call themselves.
At 7 cups of coffee a day is there a point that you infuse it with a little whisk(e)y?

On topic, .....at what point does you Schiit sound the best?

It's not even noon here, I apologize.

More on topic, just a general thought given the last couple months, Schiit's growing pains in the long run should be beneficial for all in the hobby. And they haven't killed off any of the original stuff yet, and, new designs coming. In the long run hopefully this will be job security for all the employees and their families for the long haul, that's paramount!

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #29,786 of 149,130
I have the old MMG's being run by a Vidar, tuned by a Loki. They are great, can't be touched for the price. You will be surprised at how loud these can play.

Agreed. I have a pair also. Just need to make sure they are in a location where you can pull them out from the wall 3ft or more for best sound.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #29,787 of 149,130
For the moment I've settled on Suntory on the rocks, though for an old fashioned something more common is called for. (Heretically, I add a splash on grand marnier, and substitute the sugar for three drops of maple syrup. It's delicious.)

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #29,788 of 149,130
So, what do the Tennessee sour mash distillers call it?
Jack Daniels is whiskey, but they have the charcoal filtering system.
So, it tastes different than other whiskey and bourbon.

The stuff distilled out in the hills is either white lightening or moonshine.
It tends to be stronger and less palatable, IME. :)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #29,789 of 149,130
So you all think you can make fun of me huh?
Well let me tell you...
When the aliens come to occupy this planet, I will get the position of Planet Chief Surgeon.
Contract are already signed.
Now lets see who's making fun on whom then.
OK...I'll send you a bottle of moonshine right away!

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #29,790 of 149,130
Jack Daniels is whiskey, but they have the charcoal filtering system.
So, it tastes different than other whiskey and bourbon.

The stuff distilled out in the hills is either white lightening or moonshine.
It tends to be stronger and less palatable, IME. :)
I heard a rumor that bourbon was invented so that the distilleries in Scotland had a good supply of used oak barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back