Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #29,043 of 149,685
All I know is: my Schiit multibit DACs are the best-sounding most musically engaging DACs I've ever iowned, and I've owned some that cost more than 10X what I paid for an early release Yggdrasil. I really don't care what sort of measurement anomalies someone might find because I don't hear them. It's a complete waste of time to me. I will end by paraphrasing one of my favorite quotes from Henry Kloss: not everything that can be measured can be heard.
....and, the corollary is, of course......... "Not everything that can be heard can be measured.
I love my inaudibly unmeasurable plankton,,,,,,,,,,,,, :ksc75smile:

And let's drop that talk about sine waves.... cat waves are so much cuter.......
ReflectingMajesticGuanaco-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #29,044 of 149,685
No, I believe that would be @castleofargh who I would appreciate chiming in here...
someone runs the Sound Science section on headfi? I call that bluff!
otherwise what was the question? is amirm also Marv and me? ^_^ that would be fun.

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #29,045 of 149,685
I must admit that talking about microvolts of output from a DAC in the thread of someone who does not design DACs is way off topic. Even more off topic and a bit irritating when the persons setup and test conditions are mostly unknown and they use stock photos off the internet for the product instead of real pictures of the product in the test setup.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #29,047 of 149,685
....and, the corollary is, of course......... "Not everything that can be heard can be measured.

Except that would be the opposite of what he actually sad. The quote is “Everything that can be heard can be measured, but not everything that can be measured can be heard.”

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #29,049 of 149,685
I guess the measurements talk is sine die :wink:

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #29,051 of 149,685
It's ok to just post a link. I'm ready for a good laugh so I'd like to read it. FWIW, Schiit has a very clear position that they will not comment on another company's products. In fact, Jason often says there are many good alternative products out there. Whoever posted negative comments really ought to grow up. I believe the rules of this forum don't allow manufacturers to comment on other manufacturers.
Thanks, eh. I was just assuming all would be civilized in this industry. I might have a private conversation with that forum’s moderator. The original thread was ~5 years old... god knows what was going on. With the poster. Meh.

This is a fun thread. I’m learning quite a bit. Quirky humour too. Nice.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #29,052 of 149,685
Feb 7, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #29,053 of 149,685
Hope it's okay that I post this.

This poster is an audio engineer with experience in the industry and with taking measurements (according to him).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/
His style is a high level of critical analysis. That may p*ss some people off. He tore in pretty hard in to the Emotiva DC-1 that I heard. But I'm not too worried about it. My DAC still sounds fantastic despite having a bunch of things he took issue with. I appreciate there's somebody actually performing critical analysis.I don't know if the critiques are valid or not as I'm not an engineer and yes he does seem a bit too critical. But at least somebody is trying.
Key words... According to him!

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #29,054 of 149,685
I'm an electrical engineer with audio component design experience for Sony, Harbinger, ARP, Oberheim, Creative Labs and others. I do not know how to design a DAC nor would I try to interpret or second-guess Mike Moffat's designs.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #29,055 of 149,685
I'm an electrical engineer with audio component design experience for Sony, Harbinger, ARP, Oberheim, Creative Labs and others. I do not know how to design a DAC nor would I try to interpret or second-guess Mike Moffat's designs.
As long as you can repair your own toaster everything is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back