Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 6, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #29,026 of 149,008
First ... posts on his own forum that indicate an apparent fundamental failure to understand the actual behavior of the DAC chip(s) in question (which is going to make the stuff that constitutes "I will write more on this later" quite entertaining). Commentary of that nature is misleading at best and disingenuous at worst. Then we have measurements from a DAC that is clearly not current (or even particularly recent) product - as they clearly show (inaudible) zero-crossing artifacts that are long since addressed. And then the "data is the same, but only my interpretation of/commentary on it is correct" attitude.

Comes across as a lot more "agenda" than anything else.

And this makes it very hard to take appeals for insight into where one might be off base seriously ...

On one hand, it'd be broadly educational (for many) to delve into those issues. On the other, at least for me, it's going to be way less effort, and much more fun just sitting back and enjoying the train-wreck that will ensue as someone bombastically makes a total arse of themselves - in public.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #29,028 of 149,008
Hope it's okay that I post this.

This poster is an audio engineer with experience in the industry and with taking measurements (according to him).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/
His style is a high level of critical analysis. That may p*ss some people off. He tore in pretty hard in to the Emotiva DC-1 that I heard. But I'm not too worried about it. My DAC still sounds fantastic despite having a bunch of things he took issue with. I appreciate there's somebody actually performing critical analysis.I don't know if the critiques are valid or not as I'm not an engineer and yes he does seem a bit too critical. But at least somebody is trying.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #29,029 of 149,008
Hope it's okay that I post this.

This poster is an audio engineer with experience in the industry and with taking measurements (according to him).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/
His style is a high level of critical analysis. That may p*ss some people off. He tore in pretty hard in to the Emotiva DC-1 that I heard. But I'm not too worried about it. My DAC still sounds fantastic despite having a bunch of things he took issue with. I appreciate there's somebody actually performing critical analysis.I don't know if the critiques are valid or not as I'm not an engineer and yes he does seem a bit too critical. But at least somebody is trying.

It is one thing to own test and measurement equipment, it is another to properly interpret what the data means in context to how it is used.

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #29,031 of 149,008
I mean it's not an opinion though. Is this the point you call it fake news from the failing...

If you think your multibit products aren't being measured correctly then you as the manufacturer should respond with why and how your internal measurements are different and more representative. Don't be surprised if people leave with a very negative impression when you complain about other peoples measurements while yourself providing nothing. It's not like you'd be the first manufacturer to talk about how bad the external measurements are and how wonderful your internal measurements are with no proof or reasoning.

If you want to state that you don't care how poor the measurements are because you think it sounds great then do that. You won't be the first to do it and won't be the last.

Perhaps directing this question at Mike Moffat in his thread would be more appropriate.

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #29,032 of 149,008
His comment policy is very telling. I assume he has a creation science website as well.
Or maybe he runs the the "sound Science" forum on Head-Fi or that other "friends" forum that is not too friendly. [runs and hides]

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #29,033 of 149,008
Or maybe he runs the the "sound Science" forum on Head-Fi or that other "friends" forum that is not too friendly. [runs and hides]
Congrats on post #2000! A little off topic, but then again...we appreciate your posts. If Constanza could just weigh in on this....

Edit: I meant my post might be, but I just realized heck, everything is up for interpretation, why am I editing this!:beerchug::)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #29,034 of 149,008
New LISST really is same as the old LISST in a different can. (Same Schiit, different can...yeah, I know, keep the day job.)

I'm working on a new chapter, this one maybe in multiple parts, about engineering decisions...which culminates in something you can do DIY if you're interested.

Something, something... Schiit Can.

Maybe a mod will schiit can the measurement posts upthread. Talk about meaningless schiit. :rolling_eyes:

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #29,037 of 149,008
No, I believe that would be @castleofargh who I would appreciate chiming in here...

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #29,038 of 149,008
All I know is: my Schiit multibit DACs are the best-sounding most musically engaging DACs I've ever iowned, and I've owned some that cost more than 10X what I paid for an early release Yggdrasil. I really don't care what sort of measurement anomalies someone might find because I don't hear them. It's a complete waste of time to me. I will end by paraphrasing one of my favorite quotes from Henry Kloss: not everything that can be measured can be heard.
+1000.
I listen to music, not FR curves. IMO my GMB is the best-sounding DAC I've ever heard, including Yggy [look out, incoming].
I would welcome the discussion on @Baldr's thread, although Mike may not...or on the Sound Science forum where it belongs.
Interesting troll-ability. Actually livened us up a bit. Well then hell, Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #29,040 of 149,008
I'm really confused by all this sine wave talk. I thought this was a thread for cat pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back