Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #28,772 of 150,363
Interesting note - I see Shinola watches at Costco. Not holding breath waiting for Schiit gear to appear. Which kinda sums up the different approaches of the two firms. Still, I'm a bit disappointed to read Jason declaring, again, that he ain't makin' no $5K amps. Opportunity missed, and all.

Of course, such gear wouldn't be a good fit under the Schiit umbrella (and isn't that a mental image?) But what's stopping J+M from opening an upscale division, entitled Atelier Meerde perhaps, where exceptional sound wouldn't have to come in a plain aluminum wrapper and the stigma of low price and great value could be avoided. Jason, you're a marketing guy, how many people would sign on just because there's "Atelier" in the name?

There is of course satisfaction in meeting the challenge of designing to a price point. But wouldn't raising the ceiling give you and Mike the chance to spread your wings, pursue even more exotic designs, even indulge in a bit of bling? (You know you want to, hmmm?) You know there are folks who just have to spend more, and you'd be doing them a favor, really, since you aren't a charlatan and you'd give them a great quality product at a more than fair price. Plus you'd likely scare the, um, whey out of some of the established boutique outfits. By neglecting these customers, you're leaving money on the table.

This is a hobby, like bikes and watches. Nobody needs a watch these days. People like watches. People like sound gear. People like to feel stylish and special. You could be helping them. Don't be cruel.

Just get Sol and the Gadget launched first, please...

Absolutely zero interest in this, I'm afraid.

To expand: creating another company and a bunch more products is also creating a whole lot more complexity. We don't need complexity. Complexity (at best) makes things not fun. It turns things into a job. Complexity (at worst) takes down companies.

We don't need more complexity. We need to keep doing what we're doing...and doing it even better.

Good to hear Jason. I'm glad to hear that you're sticking to your principles and how you and Mike do things. Works for me.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #28,773 of 150,363
I for one would be hard pressed to ever spend 5k€ on speakers, let alone on an amp. I think budget high-end is where Schiit's game is at, and any detour into megabuck products would only harm their reputation.

My "Other" amp retails for $8K now(bought it used). I can tell you that a pair of Vidars does not sound the same, however, Vidar has no reason to be embarrassed. Vidar has its own strengths and weaknesses, just as my other amp does. I will NOT say that one is better than the other, but I will say that one is over 5 times cheaper than the other. Jason has no reason to make a $5K for his ego's sake. He has chosen instead to make an elegant design that perhaps only another engineer can truly appreciate.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #28,775 of 150,363
I mentioned the VPI thing as an aside, not suggesting that the Schiit turntable would have printed arm. Brass and carbon fibre sounds interesting.
Maybe a 12” arm will allow listeners to appreciate the singing of Bob Dylan.... :)
Perhaps a 36 inch arm would be even better. Keep Bob at an arms length away......
A quarrter of a million miles arm would put Bob Dylan on the moon.
Perhaps the lower air pressure could make Bob's vocalisations more [alatable........ I don't believe so.......

All this discussion about putting in more bling, milled cabinets and other stuff in reminds me of the day that a friend came to "listen" to my Schiit gear.
What he did what "look" around and did NOT find those fancy amplifiers with blue VU meters, one piece milled aluminium cabinets, glowing tubes sticking out or big tall rising speakers with woofers, waffers, baffles, ports and thick wiring.
He then and there decided this was not HiFI, or High end as we need to call it these days. Never listened in a serious way to any recording I played for him.
Now here on the forum we have people who ask Schiit to change their policy and move to making crap products in fancy cabinets that most frAudiophiles want.
Probably the same people that buy overpriced iPhone X just for the looks, not for the performance. You can have the same or better for half the price.
My conclusion: people beg to be fooled by tech companies only to impress their environment with great "Looking" gear. Never mind the sound. Not important.
I'm sure @Jason Stoddard and @Baldr will not follow and I'm glad. I own 8 pieces of Schiit now and will own them for years to come. I don't need to impress anyone. I want to impress my ears, that's all.
Maybe people should close their eyes and "listen" instead of "looking" at the sound quality.

Maybe Pietro could send Costanza over to Schiit Audio so that Jason could do a 3D printed sculpture prototype of the cat as a focal point when listening to the Schiit products.
A bit like the bulldog that Mack trucks used to have on the top of the radiator of their trucks.....
It could also draw away the attention from those laser bright white LEDs.
Demand your feline NOW.... Only US$50 with every new Schiit product or US$300 for the upgrade.... :ksc75smile:

Couldn't they make their Schiit look a little more Charmin? :ksc75smile:
You mean, like putting lipstick on a pig....? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #28,776 of 150,363
26AEB0F7-6477-4F0A-A659-5E2B120CC87A.jpeg @wink

How about this one?

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #28,777 of 150,363
Wow!

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #28,778 of 150,363
Absolutely zero interest in this, I'm afraid.

To expand: creating another company and a bunch more products is also creating a whole lot more complexity. We don't need complexity. Complexity (at best) makes things not fun. It turns things into a job. Complexity (at worst) takes down companies.

We don't need more complexity. We need to keep doing what we're doing...and doing it even better.
I would like to see you build the best class A amp that you are capable of, using high quality parts, in a simple package, like the Vidar. Similar to Moffat's Yggdrasil.
What I mean by "similar to the Yggy, is that Mike built the best DAC that he is capable of. He succeeded. The Yggy is a fantastic DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #28,779 of 150,363
Perhaps a 36 inch arm would be even better. Keep Bob at an arms length away......
A quarrter of a million miles arm would put Bob Dylan on the moon.
Perhaps the lower air pressure could make Bob's vocalisations more [alatable........ I don't believe so.......

One of the Schiit workers sitting with Jason at the RMAF listening room for Schiit was joking about doing exactly that. Jason's response was the equivalent of an eyeroll.

So there might just be a one-off done for Sol by a turntable enthusiast, who knows?

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #28,780 of 150,363
You mean, like putting lipstick on a pig....? :ksc75smile:

Maybe you missed a joke in there?

..........................."Couldn't they make their Schiit look a little more Charmin?" :ksc75smile:

imageService

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #28,784 of 150,363
I would like to see you build the best class A amp that you are capable of, using high quality parts, in a simple package, like the Vidar. Similar to Moffat's Yggdrasil.
What I mean by "similar to the Yggy, is that Mike built the best DAC that he is capable of. He succeeded. The Yggy is a fantastic DAC.
+1, but for a headphones. I really want to buy a Schiit TOTL headphone amp, but the Rag looks half-useless to me, as I do not have speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back