Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #27,031 of 152,376
Or you could just come out with a $1000 preamp that adds things like HT bypass, tape loop, 12V trigger, Loki tone controls, mono switch, etc... for people that need more features and leave the current pre-amps as-is.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #27,034 of 152,376
Or you could just come out with a $1000 preamp that adds things like HT bypass, tape loop, 12V trigger, Loki tone controls, mono switch, etc... for people that need more features and leave the current pre-amps as-is.
And VU meters...

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #27,035 of 152,376
Of course, this isn't exactly what people want. What they want is a button you press, and you get your Home Theater Bypass, and you get your Home Theater Bypass right now.

Dave looked a little skeptical, so I figured I'd run it past you guys. What do you think of that idea? Is that good enough for a Home Theater Bypass, or do you have to have your dedicated I/O?

All the best,
Jason

I wasn't all that concerned about H/T bypass. I have a pretty capable system, Emotiva UPA1+monoblocks, Audio-GD DAC, Tannoy System 15s... all was good. Although running Ethernet from the office through an Airport Express (original that passes 44.1) was a gap I needed to fill. Then I got a Joty and a Mimby for the office, and put them into the main system to listen ..... Now I want a H/T bypass because the difference blew me away.

I need some Schiit in my Home Theater for two channel.

Still working out the best way to do it with existing parts, maybe a Sys/Joty (so I get Headphones in the loungeroom too) + Bimby to replace the Audio-GD, even planning a DIY passive switch. It will be a project for next year (sooner, not later)

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #27,036 of 152,376
How about doing it this way.

Stereo pre-amp> Sys
HT amp > Sys
Sys > power amplifier.

Sys is pretty transparent to the source, so negligible sound degradation, and as the stereo pre isn’t being used when playing the HT, there is no need to do anything with it’s volume control.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #27,037 of 152,376
My DAC (not Schiit) has just gone faulty. :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #27,038 of 152,376

1st time posting here .. agree .. why fix something that ain't broke?

Remember DSD Loki?
There was a case of being a market follower and where did that end up?

I'm a KISS kind of guy. That's what I like about Schiit kit.

Hey all,

Well, unless the Octal LISST get done a bit early. These are the same as the regular LISST, but fit the octal sockets in a Saga and Freya. This should provide a solution for those of you who don't want to burn tubes, but don't want empty holes on the top of their preamps. If you like LISST, you'll like these. If you didn't like LISST, you won't like these. I'm not sure when we'll see the first run of these, but I have approved the first articles.

However, please don't hound me (or the other staff) on when the Octal LISSTs will appear. The first run timing of Octal LISSTs will be dependent on lots of things, including Magni 3. In case you haven't noticed, we're in backorder on them. Ouch. Terrible time of year for it. And this is despite planning for a 2X increase in run size. Ah well, we will catch up, and be shipping again next week, so there shouldn't be too much disruption in gifting plans.

All the best,
Jason

Good to hear you're working on a 6SN7 LISST. That's market leading stuff. I look forward to updates on that, so I can put them to use in the Freya that I've got in for RMA. Looking forward to that one getting sorted out too.. cheers and keep up the good work ..

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #27,041 of 152,376
Which got me to thinking: what if we just made it so the preamps remembered the volume and mode per input? Then, Home Theater Bypass works like this:

1. Choose any input you want to use for HT bypass.
2. Connect your processor front outs.
3. Select Passive and turn the volume all the way up.

Every time you come back to that input, it just passes the front channels of the processor right through.

Boom. Home Theater Bypass.

Dave looked a little skeptical, so I figured I'd run it past you guys. What do you think of that idea? Is that good enough for a Home Theater Bypass, or do you have to have your dedicated I/O?

Also, if you have any ideas what I should write about, before the end-of-the-year chapter, let me know.

HT Bypass: I'm in favour of a dedicated I/O, simply because it's simple to understand and use.
Ideas: I'm interested in who your audio industry mentor was, or perhaps the person you admired / respected / followed the most in the high fidelity audio industry, and why.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #27,043 of 152,376
My DAC (not Schiit) has just gone faulty. :frowning2:

The DacMagic died? Look at this as an opportunity, I replaced a DacMagic (original version) with a Gungnir (pre-Gumby days) and never looked back. Buy a Bimby and worry no more.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #27,044 of 152,376
Hey all,

Also, if you have any ideas what I should write about, before the end-of-the-year chapter, let me know. After literally seeing every support request going through Zendesk for the last three weeks, I'd really like to do something like "Why Customer Service Should Be Allowed a Purge Day Every Month." But that's not going to go over well in the Amazon-trained world we're living in...

All the best,
Jason
Why not write a chapter on Customer Service Experience? Not only would it be amusing, it also would be informative as to the lessons learned from customer inquiries, problems, misunderstandings, and all of the other things that occur when you have high tech equipment and a wide spectrum of customer knowledge.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #27,045 of 152,376
Jason, can't your wife write a chapter from her point of the field?

Don't do that. That means we'll find out she actually runs the company and designs the products. And that Jason and Mike are simply shills, who are trotted out on occasion to talk about the products and are paid in bottles of wine and whisky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back