Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #27,017 of 153,871
I don`t think you need it all that bad anyway.
Man your Schiit sounded good!
Oh yes it does.
But... we can always go for better.

Oh I almost forgot. I know everyone is waiting for this.
Today Constanza went to the hair dresser.
It was her first time in 14 years.
It's unbelievable how much hair a Nordic Forest Cat can carry around on her body.
I now know she has 4 legs, quite long even.
I always wondered whether she got around on wheels.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #27,018 of 153,871
Oh yes it does.
But... we can always go for better.

Oh I almost forgot. I know everyone is waiting for this.
Today Constanza went to the hair dresser.
It was her first time in 14 years.
It's unbelievable how much hair a Nordic Forest Cat can carry around on her body.
I now know she has 4 legs, quite long even.
I always wondered whether she got around on wheels.

Pics or it didn't happen! :wink:

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #27,021 of 153,871
I'll try tomorrow if we're on speaking terms again.
She is sort of very annoyed.......

This should get your on her good side again:

51685_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1508784151_.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #27,022 of 153,871
You can't beat a Topaz Isolation Transformer (.0005pF model) for power conditioning, noise suppression, and surge suppression. The Topaz unit I am using made the single largest improvement in the sound quality my system produces.
no good place to put one of those beasts
no wish to engage in a construction project to solve that
Furman is widely used in studios and live music power management

As for "you can't beat ...": measurements or it did not happen:stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #27,023 of 153,871
no good place to put one of those beasts
no wish to engage in a construction project to solve that
Furman is widely used in studios and live music power management

As for "you can't beat ...": measurements or it did not happen:stuck_out_tongue:

topaz.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #27,024 of 153,871
I've been using the Internet since before it was the Internet so I understand it better than most.....

The objection I have here in this thread is that the signal to noise ratio is total crap. You have to read through all the muck just in case something useful is there....but there hardly ever is anything but muck. This thread is supposed to be about Schiit Audio. Very few posts actually have anything to do with Schitt Audio......

What, pray tell, is there to "under stand"? Schiit products reproduce music, not create it. If the music they reproduce is of a sufficient quality, then all will be well. If the recording is worth less, then it is as they say, you can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And no, MQA does not make a recording "better". Neither does attaching foo foo and folderol to any thing man made. And up-sampling? More up-chucking, really. Adding bits to bits does not make any thing sound "better". I would think all it really does is make some people "feel" better.

FrAudiophiles crack me up. To paraphrase thee olde adage of not being able to see the forest for trees one could easily (and I am about to) state that they (frAuidophiles) cannot hear the music for their ego. They are too busy fapping themselves on the back and taking the joy out of just listening to music instead of the equipment.

Sonically, I would hazard a guess that only a speaker can colour in between the lines. FrAudiophiles simply snort those lines, both real and imagined and then regurgitate them as holy rote. Schiit makes some excellent equipment and that by all written acounts shown here and else where on the interwebs.

Our lives are not Schiitcentric by any means. I my self am awaiting the construction of the Holy of Holies, the Schiit Vali of The Toad. Built entirely from a block of purest Schiitonium®™ and high lighted by a pair of VU Meters encased in Waterford Crystal. Or not.

I am here because having met Jason and MIke (and their loverly wives, aka the women behind the men in front of the company) at the first Schiit Fest, I have grown quite fond of their company and a couple of the people they employ. I all so like a great many people that post here and it is interesting to read their thoughts on music and equipment.

And let us not forget that I am all so a bit of an ass of a toad, albeit one with a rapier (cocktail size sword!) like wit and an admiration for Cyrano de Bergerac with an appetite for good music and reading about what goes on in the world of other mortal men such as are here.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #27,025 of 153,871
I’ll just sit here listening to the latest Paradise Lost album “Medusa” through my Lyr 2 with the LISST “tubes” and the dt880 600 Ohm phones. Sounds great! I’ll try not to wonder what magic tubes might make it sound better, or if a real OTL tube amp would have been a better choice. (Probably not, since I still like to switch in the HE560 and GS2000e and try to figure out which I like best over all).

And I don’t even have a cat!

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #27,026 of 153,871
What, pray tell, is there to "under stand"? Schiit products reproduce music, not create it. If the music they reproduce is of a sufficient quality, then all will be well. If the recording is worth less, then it is as they say, you can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And no, MQA does not make a recording "better". Neither does attaching foo foo and folderol to any thing man made. And up-sampling? More up-chucking, really. Adding bits to bits does not make any thing sound "better". I would think all it really does is make some people "feel" better.

FrAudiophiles crack me up. To paraphrase thee olde adage of not being able to see the forest for trees one could easily (and I am about to) state that they (frAuidophiles) cannot hear the music for their ego. They are too busy fapping themselves on the back and taking the joy out of just listening to music instead of the equipment.

Sonically, I would hazard a guess that only a speaker can colour in between the lines. FrAudiophiles simply snort those lines, both real and imagined and then regurgitate them as holy rote. Schiit makes some excellent equipment and that by all written acounts shown here and else where on the interwebs.

Our lives are not Schiitcentric by any means. I my self am awaiting the construction of the Holy of Holies, the Schiit Vali of The Toad. Built entirely from a block of purest Schiitonium®™ and high lighted by a pair of VU Meters encased in Waterford Crystal. Or not.

I am here because having met Jason and MIke (and their loverly wives, aka the women behind the men in front of the company) at the first Schiit Fest, I have grown quite fond of their company and a couple of the people they employ. I all so like a great many people that post here and it is interesting to read their thoughts on music and equipment.

And let us not forget that I am all so a bit of an ass of a toad, albeit one with a rapier (cocktail size sword!) like wit and an admiration for Cyrano de Bergerac with an appetite for good music and reading about what goes on in the world of other mortal men such as are here.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #27,027 of 153,871
Hey all,

Another week, another chapter missed. I'm afraid things are just a bit too busy, and I'm not yet ready to do the year-in-review. Though I suppose I could, we don't really have anything else new to introduce this year.

Well, unless the Octal LISST get done a bit early. These are the same as the regular LISST, but fit the octal sockets in a Saga and Freya. This should provide a solution for those of you who don't want to burn tubes, but don't want empty holes on the top of their preamps. If you like LISST, you'll like these. If you didn't like LISST, you won't like these. I'm not sure when we'll see the first run of these, but I have approved the first articles.

However, please don't hound me (or the other staff) on when the Octal LISSTs will appear. The first run timing of Octal LISSTs will be dependent on lots of things, including Magni 3. In case you haven't noticed, we're in backorder on them. Ouch. Terrible time of year for it. And this is despite planning for a 2X increase in run size. Ah well, we will catch up, and be shipping again next week, so there shouldn't be too much disruption in gifting plans.

Another casualty of the season: Amazon stocking. We're going to be very thin to out-of-stock on pretty much everything at Amazon through the end of the year. Part of this is that we're simply too busy. Part of it is actual strategy—we will be back on Amazon once we've gotten in their Brand Registry, which allows us to create an actual storefront, have much more control over listings, reviews, fulfillment, and pretty much anything. Unfortunately, that's a March item, due to the speed of the USPTO.

On a happier note, I've talked to Dave about adding the "remote code received" flash to the Saga and Freya, and he and I had a discussion on the whole "Home Theater Bypass" issue.

Here's the deal: our preamps already have a Home Theater Bypass. As in, pick the input you want to use for the bypass, plug the processor front outs into it, pick passive mode, and turn the volume all the way up. There you go. Home Theater Bypass, with nothing but a set of relay contacts in-between (in other words, probably better than 99.9% of the Home Theater Bypasses out there, which most likely run everything through IC buffers.)

Of course, this isn't exactly what people want. What they want is a button you press, and you get your Home Theater Bypass, and you get your Home Theater Bypass right now.

Yeah, and this is a bit of a problem. Because, let's say we added another input on Saga, one that was just a direct connection and labeled "home theater bypass." That's fine, until someone plugs in a non-volume-controlled component to it, of course (but hey, this is how all Home Theater Bypasses work, so there you go.) Unfortunately, things fall apart with Freya. Because there isn't enough space, physically, for another set of both SE and balanced inputs. And, admit it, you'd want the option to use balanced on a balanced preamp, so it's not like we can just do SE.

Which got me to thinking: what if we just made it so the preamps remembered the volume and mode per input? Then, Home Theater Bypass works like this:

1. Choose any input you want to use for HT bypass.
2. Connect your processor front outs.
3. Select Passive and turn the volume all the way up.

Every time you come back to that input, it just passes the front channels of the processor right through.

Boom. Home Theater Bypass.

Dave looked a little skeptical, so I figured I'd run it past you guys. What do you think of that idea? Is that good enough for a Home Theater Bypass, or do you have to have your dedicated I/O?

Also, if you have any ideas what I should write about, before the end-of-the-year chapter, let me know. After literally seeing every support request going through Zendesk for the last three weeks, I'd really like to do something like "Why Customer Service Should Be Allowed a Purge Day Every Month." But that's not going to go over well in the Amazon-trained world we're living in...

All the best,
Jason

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #27,028 of 153,871
Regarding your HTB idea;

Personally, I think if the solution works and I've already paid for it and have it in my home, great. Let's do it. But here's the "real world" aspect of this. My wife likes simple. As in, I need to be able to program the universal remote to give her one click (watch TV, watch roku, listen to FLAC, etc) and everything starts up just so. So a dedicated I/O would be ideal, but a workaround is still a solution.

Sorry for the on the fence answer. In short; dedicated I/O would be a sleeker solution for the family.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #27,029 of 153,871
Which got me to thinking: what if we just made it so the preamps remembered the volume and mode per input? Then, Home Theater Bypass works like this:

Every time you come back to that input, it just passes the front channels of the processor right through.

Dave looked a little skeptical, so I figured I'd run it past you guys. What do you think of that idea? Is that good enough for a Home Theater Bypass, or do you have to have your dedicated I/O?

I'd be worried that I forgot that last I had a volume controlled source plugged in, and connect one that isn't volume controlled, and then... Boom. Big Bada Boom.
Maybe a switch next to one input, to enable this mode for that one input?
Glad you guys are thinking about it, though!

Also, if you have any ideas what I should write about, before the end-of-the-year chapter, let me know.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your philosophy of small improvements, like an Yggdrasil 1.1 with two balanced outs or a Ragnarok 1.1 with a remote (assuming those would be small).
I know so far you have said that you won't do a new version unless it's a significant improvement, but maybe there's more to say about it, like when you have been most tempted to break that rule.

And the cost impact of having slightly different case sizes (like Jotunheim vs. Lyr 2). Cause I think you could potentially do a cheap balanced SYS if you just made it real tall :)

Sorry if that was covered previously. :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #27,030 of 153,871
Hey all,

Another week, another chapter missed. I'm afraid things are just a bit too busy, and I'm not yet ready to do the year-in-review. Though I suppose I could, we don't really have anything else new to introduce this year.

Well, unless the Octal LISST get done a bit early. These are the same as the regular LISST, but fit the octal sockets in a Saga and Freya. This should provide a solution for those of you who don't want to burn tubes, but don't want empty holes on the top of their preamps. If you like LISST, you'll like these. If you didn't like LISST, you won't like these. I'm not sure when we'll see the first run of these, but I have approved the first articles.

However, please don't hound me (or the other staff) on when the Octal LISSTs will appear. The first run timing of Octal LISSTs will be dependent on lots of things, including Magni 3. In case you haven't noticed, we're in backorder on them. Ouch. Terrible time of year for it. And this is despite planning for a 2X increase in run size. Ah well, we will catch up, and be shipping again next week, so there shouldn't be too much disruption in gifting plans.

Another casualty of the season: Amazon stocking. We're going to be very thin to out-of-stock on pretty much everything at Amazon through the end of the year. Part of this is that we're simply too busy. Part of it is actual strategy—we will be back on Amazon once we've gotten in their Brand Registry, which allows us to create an actual storefront, have much more control over listings, reviews, fulfillment, and pretty much anything. Unfortunately, that's a March item, due to the speed of the USPTO.

On a happier note, I've talked to Dave about adding the "remote code received" flash to the Saga and Freya, and he and I had a discussion on the whole "Home Theater Bypass" issue.

Here's the deal: our preamps already have a Home Theater Bypass. As in, pick the input you want to use for the bypass, plug the processor front outs into it, pick passive mode, and turn the volume all the way up. There you go. Home Theater Bypass, with nothing but a set of relay contacts in-between (in other words, probably better than 99.9% of the Home Theater Bypasses out there, which most likely run everything through IC buffers.)

Of course, this isn't exactly what people want. What they want is a button you press, and you get your Home Theater Bypass, and you get your Home Theater Bypass right now.

Yeah, and this is a bit of a problem. Because, let's say we added another input on Saga, one that was just a direct connection and labeled "home theater bypass." That's fine, until someone plugs in a non-volume-controlled component to it, of course (but hey, this is how all Home Theater Bypasses work, so there you go.) Unfortunately, things fall apart with Freya. Because there isn't enough space, physically, for another set of both SE and balanced inputs. And, admit it, you'd want the option to use balanced on a balanced preamp, so it's not like we can just do SE.

Also, if you have any ideas what I should write about, before the end-of-the-year chapter, let me know. After literally seeing every support request going through Zendesk for the last three weeks, I'd really like to do something like "Why Customer Service Should Be Allowed a Purge Day Every Month." But that's not going to go over well in the Amazon-trained world we're living in...

All the best,
Jason

I don't really want my pre-amp remembering my last volume setting per input. I listen to music at vastly different volumes at say 3pm than at 1am. Remembering to always check the volume level would be difficult.

Why not just put a toggle switch on the back of the unit that puts the last input into HT bypass mode, then you wouldn't need to add another set of inputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back