Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #27,062 of 145,769
With that spiky hairdo, she'll have no trouble picking up this fine young punker:

Spikey_Hair69.jpg

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #27,063 of 145,769
I now have a little over 100 hours on Saga & Vidar, and all I can say is "Wow"!

I can not believe the level of finesse and resolution that this pair are capable of, at such a modest price. I am stunned, my wife is stunned. We are in real danger of becoming a Schiit Fan-boy/girl couple!

I'm really liking the small form factor too. I had to put together a new amp stand, because Vidar looked so tiny on the old one!

That sounds like a picture should be posted of the new gear/stand...

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #27,064 of 145,769
Yep, to address this a bit further:

1. What you said is exactly what I'm proposing with the "remember the last volume and mode per input" function. Choose whichever input you want to use for HT bypass and call it a day.
2. There's no such thing as dedicated input AND output for HT bypass, only input. Dedicated output defeats the purpose. So EVERY preamp that offers HT bypass also offers the possibility of exploding stuff if you connect a non-volume-controlled source to it.
3. We already have HT bypass in Saga and Freya. Choose the input you want. Put it in passive. Turn it all the way up. That's HT bypass.

With respect to doing yet another preamp: no. Just no. One lesson from getting back in the inquiry loop: people are very, very confused about what to buy already. For someone who's new to us, the line is too large.

What?? No SuperSys with balanced in/out and an "Overdrive" control like the one in the opening scene of Back to the Future?? Damn!!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #27,065 of 145,769
With that spiky hairdo, she'll have no trouble picking up this fine young punker:

Uh well.. Constanza is kind of old fashioned that way.
She hates dogs.
And she's still in love with the big black cat on the Schiit poster I asked Jason for a million times.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #27,066 of 145,769
I think if I would have to choose now, out of the blue and full of ignorance, for a Schiit stack, it would baffle me too.
The list to look at on the website is impressing and overwhelming.
The descriptions, though funny, do not give you that well a picture if you're new to this hobby.
Because this company attracts a lot of the former, questions about what to buy will be over the top.
I, for one, always missed a "compare"-function and I don't even know if it would have helped me.
The visibility and approachability of the company makes good for a lot of that but we are all biased by our own purchases and tend to advise in that direction.
Some people aggressively so.
Maybe a decrease of options will help. Maybe not.
It's a tough choice to make when all articles are doing so well.
I envy you not.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #27,067 of 145,769
I think if I would have to choose now, out of the blue and full of ignorance, for a Schiit stack, it would baffle me too.
The list to look at on the website is impressing and overwhelming.
The descriptions, though funny, do not give you that well a picture if you're new to this hobby.
Because this company attracts a lot of the former, questions about what to buy will be over the top.
I, for one, always missed a "compare"-function and I don't even know if it would have helped me.
The visibility and approachability of the company makes good for a lot of that but we are all biased by our own purchases and tend to advise in that direction.
Some people aggressively so.
Maybe a decrease of options will help. Maybe not.
It's a tough choice to make when all articles are doing so well.
I envy you not.

Nahh, that's what the nifty http://www.schiit.com/guides is for...

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #27,069 of 145,769
For you. Not for everyone.
Never ever discard an idea because you yourself do not see the profit.
It's called short sighted.
(which I don't mean in a personal way)

Quite true, I guess I'm used to just researching the schiit out of every purchase I make, and it has rolled over into pretty much every aspect of my life...

None taken, however I'm sure there are quite a few people in this thread that would take it as one...

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #27,072 of 145,769
One option to consider with regard to integrating HT and two channel systems, is to simply dump the HT gear, and play everything through one pair of REALLY BIG SPEAKERS. No messing about setting levels and adjusting subwoofers, and an end to all that worry over whether your wiz-bang HT receiver is up to the latest spec.
My tongue is in my cheek, partly... :wink:

I too found that Saga needed a few hours before it really came on song. Now it sounds superb, with ‘pure’ being the word that best sums it up. Love it, and can’t wait to hear it with Vidar.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #27,073 of 145,769
With respect to doing yet another preamp: no. Just no. One lesson from getting back in the inquiry loop: people are very, very confused about what to buy already. For someone who's new to us, the line is too large.

Jason certainly it is clear to everyone who reads here that you've got plenty going on, so take this for whatever it is worth:
  1. http://www.schiit.com/guides seems in need of work, I don't see the separates mentioned?

2. Perhaps even more of an issue, it seems to be missing some top-level "system architectural" content, especially for any potential customers who are trying to expand their audio world from the iTunes & iPod they ran through college into something for their newly acquired living room. Analogous to https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wsENIxhI23b/learn/speakers/planning-stereo.html (the first thing a quick google found for me), but of course with Schiit's view of digital and analog source(s), why/how they get connected to head-amps or pre-amps or integrated amps, and at least where the endpoints (headphones, speakers, powered subs, etc) fit, even though these aren't Schiit products.
I imagine your version of (ahem) #2 would offer the same no-BullSchiit approach to providing guidance and insight that we've gained reading your posts here, and might help a new customer who is wrestling with DS vs. multibit, single-ended versus balanced, and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Cheers,
Alan

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #27,074 of 145,769
2. There's no such thing as dedicated input AND output for HT bypass, only input. Dedicated output defeats the purpose. So EVERY preamp that offers HT bypass also offers the possibility of exploding stuff if you connect a non-volume-controlled source to it.

Yes, you are right - a dedicated home theatre bypass function is an input only feature and I stand corrected. In my defence I simply put ‘I/O’ as a short hand way of saying input which was careless. I merely wanted to quickly give you my opinion as asked on the subject of which option to go with regarding a HT bypass switch before I headed off to bed. It was around 12:00am Sydney time when I wrote it. I often quickly check the 'Schiit Happened' thread before finishing off the day.

Apologies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back