Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #25,681 of 153,123
In your shoes, I'd consider getting an Eitr to put between the NUC and the Mimby. My experience with the Eitr (and Gen 5) is that it really improves quality over USB from consumer-grade digital sources. I tried the Eitr between Allo USBridge (which has better USB hardware than typical off-the-shelf USB parts), or RPI (which does not) and a couple of DACs (Bimby pre-Gen 5 upgrade, Holo Spring KTE 3). The benefit is not subtle for the RPi, and less stark but noticeable for the USBridge. When got the Bimby upgraded to Gen 5, same thing.

I am most likely going to be upgrading the Mimby to a bimby which has the gen 5 usb here in a month or so, and getting the gen 5 upgrade for yggy. I want to keep the Mimby as a backup and small travel dac for different things. It won't hurt to have the eitr but not right now.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #25,683 of 153,123
For all fans of Jason and the team.
Here's a video of an interview of Jude at RMAF.
At 2:14 you see Jason come in. At 4:12 he goes for coffee.
So if you have absolutely nothing better to do like I had........

Hey are you still up over there? If you or anyone else for that matter would like to see the RMAF Schiit display in the CanJam area and the two channel setup I think on the fifth floor, a couple days ago Paul McGowan (P S Audio) posted a video of RMAF highlights. The two channel setup with Freya and two Vidars at about 11:11 and CanJam about 13:30.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #25,684 of 153,123
Hey are you still up over there? If you or anyone else for that matter would like to see the RMAF Schiit display in the CanJam area and the two channel setup I think on the fifth floor, a couple days ago Paul McGowan (P S Audio) posted a video of RMAF highlights. The two channel setup with Freya and two Vidars at about 11:11 and CanJam about 13:30.

Thank you!

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #25,686 of 153,123
I wouldn't use USB out from an RP3 or equivalent. Spring for a board that supports I2S to S/PDIF output of some kind.

I use an RPi3 with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro with RCA out (BNC on it's way), Volumio2, librespot. After the Gen5 upgrade to my Yaggdrasil, I find the different between USB and RCA diminished to a point where I only think they sound "different", but not necessarily one better than the other. The only caveat I have is with some clicks in the first 5 seconds of a song, but I think it's a librespot glitch rather than USB issue as local files play pretty flawlessly.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #25,692 of 153,123
Oct 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #25,693 of 153,123
I use an RPi3 with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro with RCA out (BNC on it's way), Volumio2, librespot. After the Gen5 upgrade to my Yaggdrasil, I find the different between USB and RCA diminished to a point where I only think they sound "different", but not necessarily one better than the other. The only caveat I have is with some clicks in the first 5 seconds of a song, but I think it's a librespot glitch rather than USB issue as local files play pretty flawlessly.

Agree, after I added an intona to the USB chain all sins of the RPi were fixed. USB actually sounded better for low quality recordings (bootlegs, mp3s) than the Digi+ Pro. The intona is the same principle as the Gen5. I use Moode on the Pi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back