Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #25,666 of 150,611
I sprung for the 7i7 because I didn't know where this direction might end up. I'm using a Tb of SSD for internal storage but otherwise we have the same set-up. I tried the NUC out as a Linux box with Ubuntu and it screams. It's really all the computer I need. I had the same experience with Room Rock--easy. Gumby seems to like the system. Never had a drop-out or stoppage of any kind.

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #25,668 of 150,611
I sprung for the 7i7 because I didn't know where this direction might end up. I'm using a Tb of SSD for internal storage but otherwise we have the same set-up. I tried the NUC out as a Linux box with Ubuntu and it screams. It's really all the computer I need. I had the same experience with Room Rock--easy. Gumby seems to like the system. Never had a drop-out or stoppage of any kind.

Nice. Microcenter had the i5 for $100 off so got a decent deal. Just got it set up today so haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet. Will eventually replace the Mimby with either the bimby or Gumby depending on what direction I want to go in the end.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #25,669 of 150,611
Greetings!

A friend and co-worker just gave me an idler drive 'table. The name escapes me right now and I am listening to music, but wait a second and I shall be back with the brand...

"Impro".

I all so picked up a nice 200 disc Sony Mega CD Changer to go along with my 300 disc Sony (the person I got the 200 disc for wants a 300 disc model instead). And my Teac CD recorder/player and Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD/CD player and my Onkyo 6 disc carousel changer. In keeping with Schiit's theme, these are all for the music I have and the music I intend to purchase. Some of my purchases are "new", i.e. people I have never heard before and likely born well after the 70s. I like what I like but reality is that if you prefer "oldies", "classical" or "classic rock" you need to keep in mind that they are not being made any more.

In the early '70s Disneyland would have "Big Band" nights for the seasoned citizens. The well named "Greatest Generation" would dance to the sounds of Glen Miller and remember a better time that all though a life time away, was still with them through their music.

In 40 or 50 years most cRap and Hippity-Hop fans will be dead or deaf. Those still around will be able to listen via cochlear implants (or as they would spell it "cock clear implanz") to Scoop Doggy-Doo and reminisce about gang bangs, robbin' a 7/11, bustin' a cap or rapin' ho's to the sound track of their imitation of a life. Nah. They will be dead or deaf. I really am old, you know. And crabby for a toad. I am not bitter. I am REAL bitter, LOL!

But if still alive, I will be listening to the music I still have. Nah. I am relatively certain I will be dead. But hope fully not bored! Or still bitter. Or...Well. You get the idea. :ksc75smile:

Be well.

How do you keep track of what music is in those 200-300 CD jukes? Knowing you a little, I do not think the answer is a phone app.

I have a 5 CD player and a R2R with toad approved VU meters to go along with my 2 TT, FM tube tuner, dual cassette (also with toad approved VU meters), and DAC inputs for my stereo aka two channel in today speak input setup. There is a couple of Mani's an Eitr, a saga and a mimby in the mix. The output stage involves a lot of tubes.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #25,670 of 150,611
How do you keep track of what music is in those 200-300 CD jukes? Knowing you a little, I do not think the answer is a phone app.

I have a 5 CD player and a R2R with toad approved VU meters to go along with my 2 TT, FM tube tuner, dual cassette (also with toad approved VU meters), and DAC inputs for my stereo aka two channel in today speak input setup. There is a couple of Mani's an Eitr, a saga and a mimby in the mix. The output stage involves a lot of tubes.

I just hit "RANDOM" and listen! Sounds like you have a nice set up! Tubes are gorgeous! Reel To Reel ROCKS! I used to baby sit back in the early '70s for a nice couple in the Navy Housing we lived in near Pearl Harbor and they had their R2R (I think it was an Akai with 10" reels) set up with George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" for me every time I came over to watch their young son when they went out. Good memories. I do not a yet have any thing tubed but perhaps one day...

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #25,671 of 150,611

My father had two of the 300 disc sony changers, both 95% full. He had a 3 ring binder filled with trading card slots, each slot has the artist, album name, tracks, disc #, and which disc # it is in the CD changer. The binder sat on the table next to his chair in the living room. He had his favorites memorized of course. CDs were arranged by genre/artist to easily facilitate random play, he selects a range of discs to play random from and away it goes. Lets say discs 274-300 are Christmas music. He would select those discs and the changer will play randomly from the selection. There is a buffer as well so there's only about 1-2 seconds of silence between tracks from different CDs.

Of course I showed him the ways of a Raspberry Pi 3 with an external hard drive array along with my old Modi 2 Uber (AK4396). Being a computer programmer he caught on and is now much better with the RPi than I am. He spent a couple weekends ripping all of his CDs to FLAC and he couldn't be happier now without having to mess with the big binder or the finicky CD changers.

Oct 15, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #25,672 of 150,611
Noob question... I’m going to get a Modi Multibit to convert TV optical output to analog. The box for my content provider has analog out (which I now use) and optical. Will the content audio be improvided by going optical>MM versus the existing analog? And if so, could I use an optical splitter for my two inputs into the one MM to save some cash? TIA.

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #25,673 of 150,611
I liked the Baldr as the most interesting man in the (audio) world but now I have stuck in my head:
I don't often listen to recorded music but when I do I listen to Schitt.
and I don't think that has the right ring to it.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #25,675 of 150,611
For all fans of Jason and the team.
Here's a video of an interview of Jude at RMAF.
At 2:14 you see Jason come in. At 4:12 he goes for coffee.
So if you have absolutely nothing better to do like I had........

Stalker! :p

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #25,676 of 150,611
Did you mean 2:37?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #25,678 of 150,611

Personally I think Schiit should now do a 'Where's Jason' book in the same vein as Where's Wally/Waldo. I would pay a few bucks for that book.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #25,680 of 150,611
Output via usb into the Mimby then Rotel preamp/amp.
In your shoes, I'd consider getting an Eitr to put between the NUC and the Mimby. My experience with the Eitr (and Gen 5) is that it really improves quality over USB from consumer-grade digital sources. I tried the Eitr between Allo USBridge (which has better USB hardware than typical off-the-shelf USB parts), or RPI (which does not) and a couple of DACs (Bimby pre-Gen 5 upgrade, Holo Spring KTE 3). The benefit is not subtle for the RPi, and less stark but noticeable for the USBridge. When got the Bimby upgraded to Gen 5, same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back