Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #25,696 of 151,384
I don't think anyone posted this yet, but Stereophile had two mentions of Schiit:

Mention 1: https://www.stereophile.com/content/herbs-rmaf-day-two
Herb's RMAF Day Two
100717-Schiit-600.jpg

Say "Schiit and Salk," over and over, fast, ten times! Then imagine a high fidelity system costing less than $10,000 that allowed me to listen to Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat all the way through (well almost). "Raincoat" is beautifully executed and recorded, but my hipster coolness makes me rail against audiophile chestnuts—every time but this time.

What I was experiencing was Schiit Audio's high-value new direction: realistically priced audiophile separates aimed not at the headphone world, or the extreme audiophile neurotic, but at the newly informed, upwardly mobilizing, young gentry. (Smart urban hipsters with Tidal subscriptions?)

The Schiit-Salk display system began with a Salk Streamplayer Gen III-SE (prototype, $2495) sourcing a Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit DAC ($1249)—one of my favorites, and probably a big contributor to the overall fine sound in this room—driving the new Schiit Freya preamp ($699), plus Schiit Vidar monoblock amplifiers ($699/each; connected to Salk Song3-A loudspeakers ($3695/pair). Now all Schiit needs is a turntable—which is rumored to be hiding in the wings.

EDIT: I was going to find the other mentions, but they were very minimal compared to this one so I'll just leave this here for our enjoyment.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #25,697 of 151,384
I don't think anyone posted this yet, but Stereophile had two mentions of Schiit:

Mention 1: https://www.stereophile.com/content/herbs-rmaf-day-two
Herb's RMAF Day Two
100717-Schiit-600.jpg

Say "Schiit and Salk," over and over, fast, ten times! Then imagine a high fidelity system costing less than $10,000 that allowed me to listen to Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat all the way through (well almost). "Raincoat" is beautifully executed and recorded, but my hipster coolness makes me rail against audiophile chestnuts—every time but this time.

What I was experiencing was Schiit Audio's high-value new direction: realistically priced audiophile separates aimed not at the headphone world, or the extreme audiophile neurotic, but at the newly informed, upwardly mobilizing, young gentry. (Smart urban hipsters with Tidal subscriptions?)

The Schiit-Salk display system began with a Salk Streamplayer Gen III-SE (prototype, $2495) sourcing a Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit DAC ($1249)—one of my favorites, and probably a big contributor to the overall fine sound in this room—driving the new Schiit Freya preamp ($699), plus Schiit Vidar monoblock amplifiers ($699/each; connected to Salk Song3-A loudspeakers ($3695/pair). Now all Schiit needs is a turntable—which is rumored to be hiding in the wings.

EDIT: I was going to find the other mentions, but they were very minimal compared to this one so I'll just leave this here for our enjoyment.

I am enjoying a single Vidar and a Freya with Salk HT-2L's fed by a Jolida CD player. Not as cool and hip but sounds really good. Thanks for posting the article.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #25,700 of 151,384
Thank you for that. All though I must admit that I absolutely loathe Stereopile and it's editor in cheep, John Asskissin, I was still able to enjoy what you put up. I think those speakers are quite beautiful. The only thing that could make that system better is a pair of VU Meters some where in the pile of Schiit.

Still hopin' and waitin' for a Vali of The Toad (Twiin Tubes and Twiin VU Meters!) but I am well aware that it will never be. Did I mention those speakers in your post are beautiful? I have been lusting after a pair of Magnepan's for what seems an eternity but then there are merits to thinking in side the box, if you will. Thank you again!

What about something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Panel-...Level-Amp-w-VU-Driver-Board-Kit-/171356458610

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #25,701 of 151,384
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #25,702 of 151,384
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #25,706 of 151,384
A couple of announcements:

1. We've made some minor changes to the website to make it a bit more logical, and to provide a better showcase for the Schiitr, SchiitMeets, Shows, and Distributors--you know, all the places you can experience Schiit in real life.

2. I have a new chapter coming tomorrow, on some of the stuff Mike has been discussing—manufacturing change. I hope it won't be too boring. Warning: if you're a bit, ah, obsessive, this chapter may blow up your conception of manufacturing in a big, big way.

Sorry I've been scarce. The next chapter will cover some of the reasons why.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #25,707 of 151,384

1. We've made some minor changes to the website to make it a bit more logical, and to provide a better showcase for the Schiitr, SchiitMeets, Shows, and Distributors--you know, all the places you can experience Schiit in real life.

2. I have a new chapter coming tomorrow, on some of the stuff Mike has been discussing—manufacturing change. I hope it won't be too boring. Warning: if you're a bit, ah, obsessive, this chapter may blow up your conception of manufacturing in a big, big way.

The banner images are noticeably more striking (when rendered on a 1920 x 1200 display) than prior to the redesign. Almost unsettling ... but in a good way. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #25,708 of 151,384

Don't forget the long promised Art Download Page.
Constanza is nagging me about that big black cat.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #25,709 of 151,384
Thank you for that. All though I must admit that I absolutely loathe Stereopile and it's editor in cheep, John Asskissin, I was still able to enjoy what you put up. I think those speakers are quite beautiful. The only thing that could make that system better is a pair of VU Meters some where in the pile of Schiit.

Still hopin' and waitin' for a Vali of The Toad (Twiin Tubes and Twiin VU Meters!) but I am well aware that it will never be. Did I mention those speakers in your post are beautiful? I have been lusting after a pair of Magnepan's for what seems an eternity but then there are merits to thinking in side the box, if you will. Thank you again!

The Salks are devastatingly beautiful and the myriad of finishing options = very high WAF. I'd be all over the Silk towers if they were available in 8ohm! Magnepan 1.7i were on my short list too ... but same issue ... I'd like to keep my amp on the 8ohm taps. I'm just too lazy to open the chassis and rewire for the 4ohm taps ... and since I've never used the 4ohm taps ... I'm neurotically worried they won't sound as good.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #25,710 of 151,384

Excellent, Jason. Can't wait to have my manufacturing concepts blown all to Schiit bits!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back