Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #24,961 of 149,298
Dumb question maybe, and I may have missed this already, but where is this best placed in the chain? Between preamp and power amp? Or between source/Dac and preamp? Or either way depending on what you need to EQ?

Yes, could I use this single ended between my Yggdrasil and any of my Schiit headphone amps?

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #24,962 of 149,298
Yes, could I use this single ended between my Yggdrasil and any of my Schiit headphone amps?
I'm mostly a portable guy... But this means between the dac and the amp right?

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #24,963 of 149,298
I'm mostly a portable guy... But this means between the dac and the amp right?

I'm guessing; Yggdrasil is a source to provide an analogue signal, headphone amps are amps. No?

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #24,964 of 149,298
I'm guessing; Yggdrasil is a source to provide an analogue signal, headphone amps are amps. No?
Right. Dac = digital analog converter. I think Loki goes in between so the Loki output could then be amped.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #24,965 of 149,298
Right. Dac = digital analog converter. I think Loki goes in between so the Loki output could then be amped.

Sounds right provided no input / output impedance mismatch issues.
I'd appreciate it if Jason would chime in before I press "ADD TO CART" (Got a tab all set up, LOL!)

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #24,966 of 149,298
Dumb question maybe, and I may have missed this already, but where is this best placed in the chain? Between preamp and power amp? Or between source/Dac and preamp? Or either way depending on what you need to EQ?

Between the source and the preamp or amp. In my case, Modi → Loki → Magni. All three powered by Cthulhu.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #24,968 of 149,298
Between the source and the preamp or amp. In my case, Modi → Loki → Magni. All three powered by Cthulhu.

Sounds right, the word "source" always makes me think of my CD transport. Anyway, it's ordered, 2 day FEDX
Decided to go with the silver finish.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #24,969 of 149,298
Sounds right provided no input / output impedance mismatch issues.
I'd appreciate it if Jason would chime in before I press "ADD TO CART" (Got a tab all set up, LOL!)

I see I'm not the only who wants to know precisely how the Loki Mini is installed. I sent an email directly to Schiit to clarify the connectivity details.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #24,971 of 149,298
I see I'm not the only who wants to know precisely how the Loki Mini is installed. I sent an email directly to Schiit to clarify the connectivity details.

The Loki needs to be inserted in the signal path, once that signal becomes low level analog.

That location will vary according to ones system.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #24,973 of 149,298
Wheat left channel said. It cant go before the source because then it will have nothing to EQ and it can't go after the HP amp because then how would you plug your Cans in. :beerchug:

And to add, If using in a Speaker or 2 Channel rig. It can go before your preamp but then you can only input one source because you may want to EQ your DAC but not your TT or Vice versa, or you can by one Loki for each source and eq each one independently before your preamp. They are not terribly expensive if you choose this route, it may be a little nutty but different sources may sound different and it may satisfy your audio nervosa. Or the normal way would be to place it after the Preamp and before the power amp. This would allow you to eq everything on that preamp output and is obviously simpler.

An Aside. Magni 3..My wife got it for me as a Birthday present. It drove my dt990 600 ohms with no issue but that's was just some quick listening because i'm a child and cant see new things and leave it be, In My opinion the dt990's pairs better with the Valhalla 2 ( recommendation from KoshNaranek) although a Loki may change this. When I put it in its final home in my work rig [aired with a Mimby and really got some time on it I was thrilled. Their is not a night and day difference and the Magni2U was err is a very good amp. The M3 seems to drive my Modded Fostex RP40's with more authority. I am work so no critical listening here but I immediately noticed the low end had more impact and Vocals seem to have a tad more warmth than the Magni 2 U it replaced . I may be hearing things but it seems that detail and imaging is improved as well. For $50 less than the Magni 2 U this is insane value for the dollar. It leaves me wondering if I can discern any difference between this and the Asgard 2. That's a Comparison for mid winter when the outdoors is not so appealing,

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #24,974 of 149,298
A signal processor usually goes in one of two places, IIRC:

-Between the pre-amp (source controller) and the amplifier. In this position, the processor can affect any source chosen. Anything done to the signal by the pre-amp will go through the signal processor. This includes volume, balance, or any equalization built-in to the pre-amp (see: some McIntosh pre-amps)
-In a Tape loop or Processor loop. This output to the signal processor is usually fixed or "raw" from the source. It's then "processed" by the processor and fed back into the pre-amp where the volume or balance then affects it.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #24,975 of 149,298
Houston, we have a problem. A real first world problem. I have a Magni 3, sitting on a Sys, sitting on an E-I-T-R sitting on a Gumby. The SYS is now the odd color/finish and seems out of place.

Schiit needs to sell update kits for all their older products in order to conform to the new and nicer finish. Or maybe in this case it would be cheaper to issue a Schiit Too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back