Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #24,991 of 149,225
Purist audiophiles love rolling vintage tubes but cringe at using a well-designed equalizer. I use the EQ in J River for my 2-channel system today and I'm quite interested in what the new Loki can do. For my headphone system I've tried the SonarWorks plugin but I don't really like the results - too "sterile" for my taste. I imagine one good use case for the Loki would be to kill the treble peak that too many headphones have. (Looking at you here, HD 800.)

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #24,993 of 149,225
Did anyone notice Jil;
Analog to Digital Converter
on Schiits Product page?

Ordered Sep 7th, shipped Sep 8th, received Sep 13th.

I'm borrowing my 18 year-old daughter's turntable to digitize my 88 year-old mother's Paul Desmond album.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #24,994 of 149,225
How do I do that with a Jotunheim (fed by Bimby)?
In your case you'd use it between DAc and preamp.

It's not rocket science: use an EQ in the analog signal chain on the line level side, use it where it works for your application before it gets to final amplification.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #24,996 of 149,225
Thanks but please excuse my noobness when I ask...how does the Loki end up between the Jotunheim's preamp and amp section?
It doesn't need to. Your Jotunheim is in effect an integrated amp. Use an EQ between source and integrated amp. It's just logic: the line level analog signal needs to get adjusted before it gets amplified.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #25,001 of 149,225
What happened to all the new Schiit was going to be announced at CAM JAM in two weeks? First Eitr, then Jill, then Magni3 and now Loki...is there anything left in hiding for the show? Is this not the biggest wave of new Schiit in a long time? I have read of a possible turntable and some music magic device in the works and now really wondering if there is a Bifrost update. I have a Modi1 and on the fence about jumping in for Modi multi-bit + Eitr or Bifrost multibit.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #25,002 of 149,225
If Schiit could design a nifty variable crossfeed box to help with soundstage in headphones that would be neat.
Oh, as long as I'm day dreaming; a nose hair trimmer that actually works.
+1, in for a Schiity nose hair trimmer. :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #25,004 of 149,225
I'm going to be the grump here. I don't like the knob selection.
We have an eq knob at 20 hz. For what? For my 20hz speaker?! Maybe it's for my album of "Best earthquake noises" on my "Doesn't Exist" brand speaker.

One at 400 hz - useful. Yes!
And then two others that are way less useful.
How about putting the eq knobs where they could be used? Bass and mid range - to help out the room. How about helping out that 100 hz suckout some people experience in their room? Or equalizing the bump from ports at about 50 hz? Now that is useful! I've never thought, man I need to adjust that 8khz peak I'm getting!
Maybe a way to change the frequencies of each knob by hand?

My requirements are easier bass integration with a sub. My Axiom m80's go much lower than the 50hz crossovers on most preamps and bass knobs making it hard to crossover the towers full range. Also the room may need help right in the mid range or upper bass, just to tame things out a bit.

I think Jason needs to talk to the stubborn engineer about this. Great general idea - better knob selection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back