Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #24,946 of 151,658
Well, I appreciate the effort. In my opinion the painted tops look perfectly fine, but I think mixing painted and aluminum tops in a single stack is not the most attractive. A $300 all-aluminum Modi/Wyrd/Magni stack would be drool-worthy.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #24,947 of 151,658
... and the noise from wink's posts keep me awake at nights looking for the veiled humour residing therein.......:ksc75smile:
That's all, noise and gurgles...... :L3000:
This is amazing man.. :call_me:

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #24,950 of 151,658
As long as Loki is on, yes.

It's the same for any device--if the inputs are unpowered, it can be a nonlinear load. If you're splitting a signal to two amps, they should both always be on to avoid loading the signal.
I use an Yggdrassil to feed a Ragnarok and a Mjolnir 2 splitting the balanced signal.
When listening 2 channel via Ragnarok, leaving the Mjolnir 2 unpowered takes away just an ieniewienie bit of "room".
I guess now I know the reason for that.
How can a simple doctor keep up with all this knowledge?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #24,952 of 151,658
We did a little Head-Fi TV video about the Loki Mini:

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.​

Now this cool. Maybe I can get some Schiity gear.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #24,954 of 151,658
One quick question for @Jason Stoddard : What is the Q of the filter envelopes? (and if I simply missed this my apologies)

Variable depending on settings--broad on first turn, peaking as you go farther. It's not a constant-Q EQ. Jude's video has measurements.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #24,955 of 151,658
Variable depending on settings--broad on first turn, peaking as you go farther. It's not a constant-Q EQ. Jude's video has measurements.
The measurements are pretty. :call_me:

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #24,957 of 151,658
Dumb question maybe, and I may have missed this already, but where is this best placed in the chain? Between preamp and power amp? Or between source/Dac and preamp? Or either way depending on what you need to EQ?

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #24,958 of 151,658
This really deserves its own chapter, but two quick answers:

1. Why the bands were chosen: music. Foundational bass, floor bounce/midbass honk, presence/rasp, and sheen/treble. Another couple of bands would be nice, but that's a bit big for this chassis. Covered in the chapter.
2. Digital EQ: sure, that's another approach. We don't like the current filters used (not surprising, right)? Some calculate at too low precision. Also only digital. What if you want to EQ your turntable?

Thanks for explaining the band choices. Obviously you'd like more bands as you said in the chapter but those are the 4 I use the most. Good choices! Loki Uber will be more bands and balanced I/O I suppose.

What turntable? I laughed at your answer because it revealed to me how digital I have become. It never entered my mind that I would want to EQ an analog device like a turntable. Now I remember in olden times that's what I used an EQ for. I don't own a turn table or anything with tubes in it. Maybe the Schiit turntable will change all that. It's going to be a tough sell though.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #24,959 of 151,658
My tea leave reading.....

Number one: no idea. Can't be the Gadget, as the Gadget has only one feature.

Number two: reads like it could be an equalizer. That would definitely make some audiophiles grumble.

Number three: well, this must be the Gadget then....

Told you so...... Well, not really. With Jason's description it hardly could be something else than an equalizer. Good that someone picked this up. Let's see how the industry will react.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #24,960 of 151,658
Dumb question maybe, and I may have missed this already, but where is this best placed in the chain? Between preamp and power amp? Or between source/Dac and preamp? Or either way depending on what you need to EQ?

Ideally, in the tape in/tape out loop of your preamp.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back