Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 24, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #24,796 of 149,745
Why? 6SN7 tubes are superior to 6922 tubes.....
OH... I did not know that ! :astonished:

I already have about 20 vintage and new 6922, many 74 and 75 Reflektor, some of which really are amazing... currently considering a secondary preamp, thinking of a Freya, but really would prefer to use my current tubes...
I remembered something about the voltage on Saga was lower, and perhaps that would provide a better match for the 6922 (also if OK, this would give some options to current Saga users).

I have had a few other tube pres and DAC's (though no 6SN7 based) and the Reflektor 6922 was the most transparent I have heard in my system.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #24,797 of 149,745
Sigh, sometimes this seems accurate: https://www.audiostream.com/content/werner-herzogs-documentary-about-hi-fi-forums
There will be a new chapter next week--one I still have to write.
What a sorry bunch of poor, confused, bullying, physically challenged outcast hillbillies chasing each other around for the chase. This is hilarious thanks for a great laugh. I would never have guessed that Hertzog have such insight in audio forum members behavior.

Looking forward to the comming chapter. They are the true lighthouses that guides us in this vast sea. But even the brightest and tallest light can disappear. If the waves are high enough.
If anyone loose their course (run out of topics) it used to be good practice to return to the latest lighthouse and take it from there.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #24,799 of 149,745
Installed the new generation 5 board in my Gungnir yesterday. The improvement is obvious. Installation was fairly easy, the exception being lining up the LED's with holes. I used a stick with a small hook on the end to line them up, and another stick to push them in. I used to install a lot of circuit boards when I worked for Curtis Mathes back in the late 80's.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #24,800 of 149,745
Installed the new generation 5 board in my Gungnir yesterday. The improvement is obvious. Installation was fairly easy, the exception being lining up the LED's with holes. I used a stick with a small hook on the end to line them up, and another stick to push them in. I used to install a lot of circuit boards when I worked for Curtis Mathes back in the late 80's.

I know a few folks mentioned this was tricky. For some reason with my Gumby I had no issues lining up the LEDs when I inserted Gen 5 - they just went directly in...got lucky I guess.

Agreed on the sound quality improvement - immediate and obvious.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #24,801 of 149,745
I know a few folks mentioned this was tricky. For some reason with my Gumby I had no issues lining up the LEDs when I inserted Gen 5 - they just went directly in...got lucky I guess.

Agreed on the sound quality improvement - immediate and obvious.
What surprised me is the Generation 5 board sounds better than the Eitr. When Schiit offered the self install I moved the Eitr to my second system. Don't misunderstand, the Eitr is a tremendous improvement, but the G5 board is even more so.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #24,802 of 149,745
There is something new to discuss: the Magni 3.

And even if there wasn't something new to discuss, then that still not would not be a good reason to fill this thread with spam.

A lot of people might not have even seen the Magni 3 announcement, because that announcement was quickly buried. Instead of seeing that announcement - as they would have if this thread contained zero spam - many visitors to this thread likely saw nothing but several pages of offtopic spam. In other words, the spam is working against Schiit's best interests as a business by suppressing the news/announcements/worthwhile posts made by Schiit employees.

As for the point "you don't have to read this," that's not correct. There is no way to determine whether or not a post is spam except by reading it. Therefore, users who come to this thread, but who are not interested in reading spam, are forced to do so.

That spam is a waste of our time, and it's very annoying too.

The spam also works against Schiit's best interest as a business because readers who are annoyed by spam are likely to be put off by this thread, and therefore they will likely never come back to this thread in the future in order to read Schiit news, because to find the news is not worth the aggravation that is caused by wading through the spam.

Really wish we had a 'Dislike' button...or a 'Faux-Moderation' button!

Here is a suggestion: bookmark the first post of almost 25,000 in this thread where Jason indexes his chapters. When there is a new one, READ IT. Otherwise, clearly the other 24,872 posts on this thread will annoy you. When you are done, go over to Mike's thread and yell at him for discussing opera.

Really wish we had a 'Megalike' button!

By all means, please do go over to Mike's thread and yell at him for discussing opera. I'm sure it would be entertaining in a noisy/spammy sort of way. :wink:

BTW - Mike 'gets' thread moderation
"I detest censorship. Occasionally posts are held for moderation by the Head Fi controllers, only to be released within hours. The only posts I ever deleted were for incoherence. I have edited only a very few posts for political reasons, but left the main message intact."

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #24,804 of 149,745
What surprised me is the Generation 5 board sounds better then the Eitr. When Schiit offered the self install I moved the Eitr to my second system. Don't misunderstand, the Eitr is a tremendous improvement, but the G5 board is even more so.

I agree I find the Gen 5 board just slightly better than Eitr even, but both are a significant improvement over straight USB. The board I find just slightly more crisp and open with a bit better instrument separation. Eitr is just ever so slightly more "rounded" and not quite as open and airy sounding. Might be due to the addtional conversion back to S/PDIF, not sure. But the differences are very slight and I suspect you need a lot of transparency downstream to even hear it.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #24,805 of 149,745
Hmm, why can't I find the Freya thread? Can someone post a link?

There doesn't seem to be any desire to open 2-channel-only gear threads on Head-fi - only headphone gear. Which is unfortunate IMO. This general Schiit thread is about as close as you'll get but it's pretty much impossible to find impressions because there is so much other discussion. I have to go to other forum sites for 2-channel discussions.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #24,806 of 149,745
There doesn't seem to be any desire to open 2-channel-only gear threads on Head-fi - only headphone gear. Which is unfortunate IMO. This general Schiit thread is about as close as you'll get but it's pretty much impossible to find impressions because there is so much other discussion. I have to go to other forum sites for 2-channel discussions.

I've tried to generate some interest.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-two-channel-clubhouse.843459/

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #24,810 of 149,745
Noise is when a thread is flooded with unwanted nonsense, opinions that have been rehashed a million times, and hideous pictures of 1978 Trans Am-looking gear (black and gold, barfarolamaticdeluxe!)

The signal to noise ratio of this thread is very low. I've employed a largely hands-off approach in moderating this thread, as some may find it amusing. However, it is definitely veering into dumpster fire status. Maybe if we all try to keep things a little more on-topic, I won't have to spend the weekend putting out this fire.

Jason,

PLEASE PLEASE don't ever stop "The Noise!"

"The Noise" from Ableza about finding something for everyone after hearing Villains from Queens of the Stone Age has turned me on to a band previously unknown to me.

"The Noise" on Baldr's thread about Classical and Opera of which I had no significant previous interest led me to purchase the Fritz Reiner Red Seal CSO compendium and discover, through Winders, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, the single most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.

"The Noise" from Cozzi has introduced me and my Veterinarian daughter to the most beautiful cat breed we've ever seen.

"The Noise" from Tony Kaz who used to frequent here introduced me to an insider's take on the industry.

"The Noise" from ORT stimulates me to look at things in a different, enjoyable and ofttimes sarcastic light.

"The Noise" from JJ, our resident tweaker, has shown me the sonic benefits of AOIP and unDAES.

"The Noise" from RCBinTN has led me to some really warm and humerous PM's.

"The Noise" from even the Bourbon digression has led me to enjoying something that I previously hated.

I'm an Orthopedic Surgeon in my day job. I have to filter through "The Noise" every frickin' minute of my life in order to find that one piece of info that tells me the problem. I'm sure glad Mr. Jones last week thought that the sudden onset of a subtle metallic creak in his Total Knee was an unfamiliar noise and warranted a quick evaluation. Sure enough, his tibial plastic had failed, and he was just rubbing metal femur on metal tibial baseplate. In the OR the next day for revision, he had minimal metal stripe wear, and I was able to save his well fixed metallic components and only needed to swap in a new plastic plateau. Had he or I ignored "The Noise," quickly developing would have been extensive erosion with the resultant metallosis turning the tissues black, and I'd have had to tear everything out and start over, likely destroying his bone surfaces while trying to save the knee.

So you can see, "The Noise" is really in the eye of the beholder. There can be immense value in something cast off as irrelevant by others. I too used to bitch to myself about all of "The Noise" here until I started to truly listen to what it was trying to tell me. And now I can hear. I heartily thank you all.

So "The Noise" is ALL good. NEVER STOP THE NOISE!!!!

Scott

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back