Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #20,611 of 150,549
Yo Cozzi. Since Je Ne Comprehendo Latin, I did a Google Translate on your sig and got this:

PEACE MEETING IN FRONT OF DIFFICULTY - I stumble grows - the excellent material everywhere - Understanding does not offend me - not mandatory no life

Could you "Cozzi Translate" it a bit better for me so I know what the heck it says?

Thanks.

ORFB (Old Road FrogButt)

(Sorry ORT for swiping your sig!!!!!!)

May 30, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #20,612 of 150,549
The one good thing about this new forum software is that when you put someone on your ignore list it completely eradicates them from your headfi experience. You don't see them being quoted, or their posts. Nadda.

Thank you for that. Once you pointed out it was possible I did it and this thread is a lot more pleasant.

I am guilty of initiating or contributing to my fair share of sidebars, but I have no interest in reading posts from people insulting each other. I don’t see how that contributes to healthy discourse.

Thanks again!

May 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #20,613 of 150,549
I even see people using the speakers on their phones to listen to music.
I think thats way worse than one bud hanging out.

I am "between stereos" in my '65 Valiant convertible, so I picked up a crappy Bluetooth speaker with a magnetic base at Home Depot on a whim. (One good thing is it highlights how far Bluetooth is from being ready for the mainstream - my replacement head unit will not include Bluetooth when I get one.)

Anyway, local bylaws prohibit wearing stereo headsets while driving - one is ok though (hence "dangling").

So my "bitchin' car stereo" is a couple of underpowered 4cm drivers incapable of playing louder than road noise at highway speed.

That’s still better than using my iPhone's internal speaker.

BUT! But... sometimes when I forget to recharge the Bluetooth speaker I will jam my phone speaker-first into the dash ashtray just to get some tunes.

In the end good music trumps the delivery system, and I can still sing along with DOA or Leonard Cohen (yeah, I'm Canadian) even if I'm using a cup holder as an amplifier.

May 30, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #20,614 of 150,549
I am "between stereos" in my '65 Valiant convertible, so I picked up a crappy Bluetooth speaker with a magnetic base at Home Depot on a whim. (One good thing is it highlights how far Bluetooth is from being ready for the mainstream - my replacement head unit will not include Bluetooth when I get one.)

Anyway, local bylaws prohibit wearing stereo headsets while driving - one is ok though (hence "dangling").

So my "bitchin' car stereo" is a couple of underpowered 4cm drivers incapable of playing louder than road noise at highway speed.

BUT! But... sometimes when I forget to recharge the Bluetooth speaker I will jam my phone speaker-first into the dash ashtray just to get some tunes.

In the end good music trumps the delivery system, and I can still sing along with DOA or Leonard Cohen (yeah, I'm Canadian) even if I'm using a cup holder as an amplifier.

So are you a Mopar guy or just happen to have a valiant? Either way that's a sweet ride. My dream car is a 66 coronet 2 door with a big block and a 66/7 charger grille.

May 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #20,616 of 150,549
Since we are going off topic (and why not) I want a '64 T-Bird.

1967 Mercury Cougar in Schiit Silver metallic. I would mount a Jotty in the dash, two Vidars in the trunk, get out of Florida and take 10 all the way to the Schiitr to show it off. Probably use Focal speakers, hope that's ok, no dangling earbuds. You wait too long you start running out of time here on the planet, yep, that would be fun. Gee, hope Vidar isn't delayed til the 3rd quarter.....I just found a Schiit Silver Cougar for sale in Tampa!:L3000::beerchug:...oh wait, I remember Jason's chapter about classic cars, Schiit, I'll just drive our Schiit Silver metallic Prius and have money left for the Mexican restaurant next to the Shiitr. A fun summer .

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #20,617 of 150,549
Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #20,618 of 150,549
Yo Cozzi. Since Je Ne Comprehendo Latin, I did a Google Translate on your sig and got this:

PEACE MEETING IN FRONT OF DIFFICULTY - I stumble grows - the excellent material everywhere - Understanding does not offend me - not mandatory no life

Could you "Cozzi Translate" it a bit better for me so I know what the heck it says?

Thanks.

ORFB (Old Road FrogButt)

(Sorry ORT for swiping your sig!!!!!!)

VITAE VIX ANTE PAX OBITUS - A hard (vexing) life goes before peace in death
OFFENDUNTUR SI ADOLESCERE - He who feels offended should grow up
MAGNIFICAE MATERA UBIQUA - Lots of proud mothers here.
INTELLIGENTIA NON ME OFFENDIT VERITAS - Intelligence does not offend me.
NON AMET NON VITAE - no fun no life.

May 31, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #20,619 of 150,549
Since we are going off topic (and why not) I want a '64 T-Bird.

1967 Mercury Cougar in Schiit Silver metallic. I would mount a Jotty in the dash, two Vidars in the trunk, get out of Florida and take 10 all the way to the Schiitr to show it off. Probably use Focal speakers, hope that's ok, no dangling earbuds. You wait too long you start running out of time here on the planet, yep, that would be fun. Gee, hope Vidar isn't delayed til the 3rd quarter.....I just found a Schiit Silver Cougar for sale in Tampa!:L3000::beerchug:...oh wait, I remember Jason's chapter about classic cars, Schiit, I'll just drive our Schiit Silver metallic Prius and have money left for the Mexican restaurant next to the Shiitr. A fun summer .

Great choices, I'm into anything American. I have a soft spot for Chrysler; grew up in Detroit and most of my family and friends work there.

May 31, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #20,620 of 150,549

Does your Valiant have the push button tranny?

May 31, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #20,621 of 150,549

On your way please stop in Scottsdale to drop off your Cougar, Jotty and Vidars. I can get you a Greyhound bus the rest of the way to LA. And there's no shortage of good Mexican restaurants here. My treat :ksc75smile:

May 31, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #20,622 of 150,549
Have you looked at musicians earplugs? They come in a variety of attenuation levels.
http://blog.sonicbids.com/best-earplugs-for-musicians

You mentioned Etymotics. Besides IEM's, they also make musicians earplugs:
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html

Saw these recently on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/earasers-earplugs
Lots of choices on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=musician+earplugs+high+fidelity
I use "musicians earplugs" in my line of work. Tried number of generic ones with limited success. Finally, went to an audiologist and had custom plugs made by Microsonic (http://microsonic-inc.com/). While I don't believe any such plugs will be completely transparent as far as timbre goes, however, these work well for me. You can select attenuation level; mine are 35 db. I feel custom plugs made from your ears' impressions is the way to go.

May 31, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #20,623 of 150,549
You can select attenuation level; mine are 35 db.

25 db of attenuation is the max they list on the web site. I have never seen custom molded ear plugs attenuate more than 30 db. Usually need foam plugs to get 33 db of attenuation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back