Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #19,471 of 151,308

Pssst....dont feed the MQA-supporter.

The Manhattan Project will put MQA in the weeds.
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #19,472 of 151,308
^ First recording I bought was a Beethoven symphony - does that count? :D. Probably Hans Schmidt-Isserstaedt conducting the 9th.

I was 14. Class trip. Classmates were not surprised I would hang out in the classical section. I 'discovered' music two years before after hearing Beethoven's 6th symphony. The second time was the 'moment'.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #19,473 of 151,308
  I have to say I'm kinda disappointed at the replies so far, I was expecting some of you saying you actually were friends at school with Beethoven or some other awesome musician
biggrin.gif

For me...

As far as I remember Beethoven had few, if any, friends.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #19,474 of 151,308
^ First recording I bought was a Beethoven symphony - does that count?
biggrin.gif
. Probably Hans Schmidt-Isserstaedt conducting the 9th.

I was 14. Class trip. Classmates were not surprised I would hang out in the classical section. I 'discovered' music two years before after hearing Beethoven's 6th symphony. The second time was the 'moment'.

Hans Schmidt-Isserstaedt 9th , a favorite of mine.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #19,475 of 151,308
Apr 23, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #19,476 of 151,308
  Awwww shucks, everybody's getting so nostalgic. Well, you're all in for a treat because now you can finally hear those recordings exactly like they sounded in the studio as the artist intended. Just buy the authenticated MQA mastered recording and play it on MQA hardware.

I think you may be on the wrong thread, doubt you will find many MQA supports here...

popcorn.gif

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across. I thought with this crowd an emoji wouldn't be needed.

btw, emoji sounds so plural. Would singular be emojo?

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #19,477 of 151,308
^ Seemed obvious sarcasm to me. I enjoyed your wit. But sometimes it's hard to know who's kidding who :D

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #19,478 of 151,308
First LP I got (my mom bought it for me) was "Beethoven's Greatest Hits" on Columbia. Good way to get into classical music for a grade school kid in the mid/late 1960s.

First LP I got that I asked for was "E Power Biggs plays Bach Organ Favorites" (also on Columbia) shortly after getting my first LP, and after hearing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor played on some TV show.

First LP I spent my own allowance money on was "Super Session" by Bloomfield, Cooper and Stills in 1968 or 69.

All three of these got me to realize that better quality sound was important. Still have the first two, but the Super Session was part of the 700 or so LPs that were stolen back in the early/mid 1990s. Need to buy a good quality reissue, as the CD of it isn't very good.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #19,479 of 151,308
Music has taken a long and winding road from when I was a teenager. At that time it was "I wanna hold your hand" and now it's "I want to cut off your hand, biatch." So what kinda Schiit is next to come?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #19,480 of 151,308
One of my first (maybe the first) Bartók LPs, bought like quite a few others with the proceeds of my part-time job in college, is shown below. I still own it, but through many moves I went all digital. In the meanwhile I got a good new interpretation on CD (Zoltán Kocsis/Iván Fischer), but that first one was still somewhere in my auditory memory. Just found it as a Redbook download on Presto Classical for a nice low price. Its rhythm, lightness of touch and beautiful tone came back to me and filled my musical cup, even though the recording (maybe because of the digital transfer) is somewhat lacking in soundstage and instrument separation compared with the best digital remasters I have around (such as the amazing Stravinsky Dorati/LSO/Mercury Living Presence I got recently). 

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #19,481 of 151,308
  Music has taken a long and winding road from when I was a teenager. At that time it was "I wanna hold your hand" and now it's "I want to cut off your hand, biatch." So what kinda Schiit is next to come?

My fave is:
****** if your legg broke bitch, hop on your good foot!

somewhere in there is a poetic life lesson...really deep in there :)

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #19,482 of 151,308
First record: High Hopes by Frank Sinatra on 45.

First LP: Funk and Wagnel's library of fine music volume 1: Beethoven 6th. Purchased for $0.69 with your $10 grocery purchase at the local ACME market (or was it the A&P?)

These were played on an RCA suitcase style record player purchased at a garage sale for $10.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #19,483 of 151,308
My first few albums, bought as LPs in 1980:

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Cheap Trick - Dream Police
J. Geils Band - Love Stinks

Only the Pink Floyd has stuck with me through the years (the album, not the original copy). 

Probably the first piece of music I ever bought was a Doobie Brothers' 45 of "What A Fool Believes."  
redface.gif

These were all played on my parents' console record player, which was a massive piece of furniture that I believe was wildly outdated even in 1980.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #19,485 of 151,308
  Awwww shucks, everybody's getting so nostalgic. Well, you're all in for a treat because now you can finally hear those recordings exactly like they sounded in the studio as the artist intended. Just buy the authenticated MQA mastered recording and play it on MQA hardware.

​Not exactly.  The master tapes are many decades old.  They deteriorate just laying around.  No magic will put the lost signal back on them. That is the main reason vintage LP's can sound better than CD's.  The LP's were made when the tapes were fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back