Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #19,441 of 152,850
I am one the snobbiest audio people and I love the point he made about bluetooth and the cord.
You will never see me ever using one of those crappy headsets.
I will always use a wire and enjoy really hi fidelity thank you very much.

Throwing good money after bad is never a good idea.
I know there are other products out there that are better than schiit.
However I only by schiit out of solidarity to the company and there no non sense approach to designing affordable audio equipment and selling it directly.
The value you and quality of there audio for the money is unbelievable.

Thanks for not falling prey to shiny new object syndrome and making great affordable products you have a customer for life in me.

Jason 

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #19,442 of 152,850
First LP, Men at Work:Business as Usual. First one I bought myself, Quiet Riot:Metal Health. First CD, Led Zeppelin IV. Lots of zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors, and Kiss and Motley Crue in between on cassettes that are long gone. Still have the vinyl and CDs

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #19,444 of 152,850
First LP, Men at Work:Business as Usual. First one I bought myself, Quiet Riot:Metal Health. First CD, Led Zeppelin IV. Lots of zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors, and Kiss and Motley Crue in between on cassettes that are long gone. Still have the vinyl and CDs

Great variety! I'm a huge fan of Zeppelin and Hendrix, and also enjoy Doors and Kiss from time to time. Motley Crue is one of those bands that I love to play really loud with the windows down cruising around town. AC/DC, Motley Crue, Scorpions, REO Speedwagon and many more I can't think of right now... all great summer cruising bands.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #19,447 of 152,850
  I am one the snobbiest audio people and I love the point he made about bluetooth and the cord.
You will never see me ever using one of those crappy headsets.
I will always use a wire and enjoy really hi fidelity thank you very much.

.....(delete)....

Jason 

I feel the same way about wireless but I found a good use for a wireless headset--specifically the Sennheiser RT-180.  I plug it into the optical output of my TV and listen to TV with it.  I am from time to time amazed at how good it can be.  The bass can even slam when needed.  Of course it's a proprietary transmission system and not Bluetooth (according to Sennheiser).

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #19,448 of 152,850
  Now that I think about it, it was "The Kingston Trio" I bought in 1958, "KT at the Hungry i" was released and bought in '59.

But who cares?

I care!!! Can't believe there is anyone on HeadFi who even remembers the Kingston Trio. I loved them. I think the Hungry I album was their second. "They Call the Wind Maria", etc. I saw the Trio live twice here in Arizona. In the second concert they admitted they had never been to Kingston. They just thought it was a cool name when they started up in the Bay Area. They also said the most requested song at their concerts was Chilly Winds, which surprised me. They had an amazing number of hits.

I did see Bill Cosby at the Hungry I. We were standing in line outside for his second session. He spent his entire break walking up and down the line talking to everyone. Well I guess he was a friendly sort
confused_face.gif

But like you said, who cares
etysmile.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #19,449 of 152,850
I'm glad someone else cares. Now there are 3 of us. I met a guy at a dinner party Thursday night. In the course of the conversation he mentioned he played guitar and went on to say he started because of hearing KT at the hungry i for the first time. We discussed all tbe albums and concerts. And yes they had a lot of hits. They were also one of the driving forces in popularizing folk and traditional music.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #19,450 of 152,850
My first 2 albums were Steel Dan Aja and Aerosmith Rocks.  I bought them with my first real turntable, a Marantz 6150 hooked up to a Sansui 1000A with EPI speakers, way back in 1977.

At the time I thought I had the Schiit...

beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #19,451 of 152,850
Are there any Kingston Trio albums out there that don't sound like they were recorded in my garage with mediocre equipment? I find the group interesting but the crappy recordings I have heard are a problem.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #19,452 of 152,850
First album was The World of The Goons, a comedy LP I bought when I was about 11. My first proper LP was Abbey Road, and first concert was Halle Orchestra at Manchester Free Trade Hall, sometime in the mid 70s. First rock & roll gig, The Kinks, Manchester Apollo 1984.

I still love The Beatles and The Kinks after all these years. Still got Abbey Road, which is the first album I go to when testing a new piece of gear. :grinning:

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #19,453 of 152,850
  Are there any Kingston Trio albums out there that don't sound like they were recorded in my garage with mediocre equipment? I find the group interesting but the crappy recordings I have heard are a problem.

I know what you mean. Even though they recorded for Capital Records, most of their albums are pretty weak when it comes to SQ. Here's a video I really like as I think it illustrates well the impact the Trio had on folk music

:

And if you can tolerate Tommy Smothers, this is a great reunion concert:

I'd also like to put in a plug for John Stewart's "Phoenix Concerts" album: https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Concerts-Live-John-Stewart/dp/B000002R9A. It's available on Tidal.

Stewart sang with the Trio from 1961–1967. He also wrote The Monkees' "Daydream Believer"

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #19,455 of 152,850
The first two or three Kingston Trio albums I bought were played on my $20 mono, single-tube phonograph. And they sounded wonderful. Their earliest hits I listened to on an AM radio and got as much pleasure out of them as on any of my subsequent devices. From the Hungry i was indeed their second album. I was in te eighth grade the first time I hear it and was totally shocked by Zombie Jamboree--and it was my favorite cut. Saw them in concert once in Portland with John Stewart on their farewell tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back