Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #19,411 of 155,133
How about a Emotiva CMX-2? $120 and 30 day trial.

No. That's waste of money. The Topaz isolation transformer acts as a noise filter and surge suppressor. The super low capacitance is what makes it good at suppressing noise. The low impedance of a simple TrippLite power strip causes the noise produced by the leakage loops to be reduced. I have 1.8kVA and 2.5kVA Topaz units. Depending on your setup, those may be overkill as a 1kVA unit works well for many people. I like the 2.5kVA unit best as it sounds the best. This may be because the capacitance is at .0005pF vs .005pF for the 1.8kVA unit. 

I installed a Topaz isolation transformer and a TrippLite PS series power strip and the sound quality improved noticeably. Soundstage improved. Instrument and voice separation improved. Detail improved. Clarity improved.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #19,412 of 155,133
So... the only thing that works is exactly what you have?

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #19,413 of 155,133
So... the only thing that works is exactly what you have?

No. The problem with the Emotiva CMX-2 is that it is expensive and doesn't solve all the problems. It increases the impedance between AC devices which amplifies the leakages and noise on its side of the AC power source.

But hey, you certainly do whatever you want. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #19,414 of 155,133
No. The problem with the Emotiva CMX-2 is that it is expensive and doesn't solve all the problems. It increases the impedance between AC devices which amplifies the leakages and noise on its side of the AC power source.

But hey, you certainly do whatever you want. 

Fair enough. You just seem so insistent sometimes and I don't understand why.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #19,417 of 155,133
  Don't confuse passion with insistence.

Passionate insistence? Insistent passion?

I thought this was an audio forum. 
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #19,419 of 155,133
I know nothing about electronics but a Furman AC-215A solved issues for me.

Furman is good, I use a Furman PST-8D, it completely eliminated a bad hum on my Jotunheim. Anything audio I plug into it is dead silent.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #19,420 of 155,133
  What product are you using?

TP-Link 1200 series.  https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-through-TL-PA8010P-KIT/dp/B00Y3QPG1A/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1492826168&sr=8-21&keywords=tp-link+ac1200

But that's not necessarily a recommendation.  I bought them based on reasonable reviews and a deep discount.  I have no doubt that competitive products work just as well and may be less expensive.  

That said I can guarantee these are working very well for me.  But then I live hundreds of meters from the closest house in an area with about 5 houses in a square mile (2.6 sq km for the sane part of the world).  We have a transformer feeding the house and we're the only house on that circuit.  We have very few appliances and no heavy equipment switching on and off except of course our hot tub. We do have an on-demand well pump and a pump for our sanitary drip field that switches on and off every 2 hrs.    I think we have pretty clean power lines. The instructions on EOP devices make clear that the noisier your power lines are,the slower the transmission will be.  You can, however, download software from the TP-link website that allows you to see transmission rates between nodes, configure your network, and set QOS priorities, etc. It's pretty cool.

If that's not enough I also run video over power lines -- a seperate encoding and frequency-- on the same lines and there is apparently no interference.

Having seen it work it's hard to imagine wireless being any better (or as good) in an urban or suburban environment.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #19,421 of 155,133

... and the problem with the Topaz is that it is more expensive than the CMX-2, gigantic compared with the CMX-2, and heavy enough to hurt you when it needs to be moved. It's been amusing to see all the Topaz dogma around audio forums since John Swenson (or maybe some other guru previously) endorsed them. I own $2K of JS-designed gear, but however good as JS is, his recommendations are just that, we need to think and hear for ourselves. For me, it's easy. Plug everything into Tripplite ISOBAR, plug that into the wall, and forget. Even the closest listening on my most sensitive gear does not reveal a shade of hum or other noise. Dragging a Topaz into the living room or study would be a major chore not to mention a source of marital discord, for vague and very likely inaudible improvements. YMMV, of course, but why dismiss a much lighter -- and cheaper -- device that others have endorsed from experience?

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #19,422 of 155,133
Like I said, use what you want to use. I used a friends Furman and compared it to the Topaz setup I am using now. The Furman got rid of a lot of the noise as the music did sound better than just plugged into a wall using a power strip or TrippLite Isobar. However, I tried what John suggested with a Topaz and a standard TrippLite PS style power strip. With that, there was an obvious and clear improvement in sound quality compared to the Furman.

I can live with the size...the cost was about the same as the Furman.

Again, do what you want...I am relaying my experiences and preferences. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #19,423 of 155,133
I don't have the space for the Topaz but it does look interesting and I can't do trials with Emotiva because I am in the UK unfortunately. However, I do have one of these http://www.tomanek.dbv.pl/viewpage.php?page_id=78 which I forgot I had and that seems to have completely stopped it.

Now the issue I have is does the fact that the noise randomly appeared mean something is failing somewhere, be that in my powerline or Mjolnir. I will just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for all the help :cool:

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #19,424 of 155,133
  ... and the problem with the Topaz is that it is more expensive than the CMX-2, gigantic compared with the CMX-2, and heavy enough to hurt you when it needs to be moved. It's been amusing to see all the Topaz dogma around audio forums since John Swenson (or maybe some other guru previously) endorsed them. I own $2K of JS-designed gear, but however good as JS is, his recommendations are just that, we need to think and hear for ourselves. For me, it's easy. Plug everything into Tripplite ISOBAR, plug that into the wall, and forget. Even the closest listening on my most sensitive gear does not reveal a shade of hum or other noise. Dragging a Topaz into the living room or study would be a major chore not to mention a source of marital discord, for vague and very likely inaudible improvements. YMMV, of course, but why dismiss a much lighter -- and cheaper -- device that others have endorsed from experience?

I like the looks/design of the Tripp Lite Isobar, but the reviews say it doesn't totally protect the gear, meaning that power can still flow downstream after the surge protection does its thing.  One reviewer said they had a major hit and lost components, tried to file an insurance claim (some Isobars come w/ insurance) but it was denied.  Here is a quote from the Tripp Lite owner's manual:

"All models feature an internal protection that will disconnect the surge-protective component at the end of its useful life but will maintain power to the load— now unprotected."

Does this seem like a concern?

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #19,425 of 155,133

I like the looks/design of the Tripp Lite Isobar, but the reviews say it doesn't totally protect the gear, meaning that power can still flow downstream after the surge protection does its thing.  One reviewer said they had a major hit and lost components, tried to file an insurance claim (some Isobars come w/ insurance) but it was denied.  Here is a quote from the Tripp Lite owner's manual:

"All models feature an internal protection that will disconnect the surge-protective component at the end of its useful life but will maintain power to the load— now unprotected."

Does this seem like a concern?

I use these

https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-6-outlet-surge-protector-6-ft-cord-3300-joules-diagnostic-leds~ISOBAR6ULTRA/

I could not find the quote you gave in the product description or in the user manual.

I heard about those from Nick @ Schiit as  a personal (not company) recommendation. But both of us live in coastal CA, where thunderstorms are really rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back