Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #19,456 of 152,846
Don't know that I was shocked by Zombie Jamboree but I sure played it again and again and liked it.

I don't know that I ever thought about sound quality in 1959. It sounded great played on the phonograph in my parents big Zenith TV.  It was so unimportant that I can't even remember the brand of the first phonograph I purchased for my own use. I was totally unconcerned with sound quality or else just accepted what it was.  It was pretty clear it wasn't sounding like a live performance. My first stereo was an all in one Grundig I bought iin 1966 which had a Dual turntable.

Yes those were terrible recordings.  I'd like to know if there are better re-issues.  Come to think of it I don't like the style of the KT performance as much now as I did back then.  On some songs the pace is too fast for my taste and they could be a little casual or off-hand with the music.  Who am I to say?  They were pretty successful.  I just wonder if what they did then would work today.  Probably not. Different times.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #19,457 of 152,846
I imagine that post-Bob Dylan, post-Beatles, post-punk rock, the KT would not have the success they did originally. A very odd thing: Mobile Fidelity issued a "high quality" remastering of the KT's last Dave Guard album, Goin' Places--on cassette. I still have my copy somewhere. None of the cd reissues that I know of were anything but standard Capital Records or worse--I read somewhere that the Collectors Choice reissues were needle-drop, and they sound it. But that was the only way to get most of the KT lps on cds, including the one Dave Guard and the Whiskey Hills Singers release.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #19,458 of 152,846
The first recording I recall sitting up and paying attention to and thinking "this is amazing" was my mother playing Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald's "Take the A-Train."  Had to be mid-1950's...

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #19,459 of 152,846
My first recollection of music goes back to the basement of our house when I was a small child. My father had set up a basic system, with "record player", and played his music for us as we spent hours and hours, away from the midwestern winter weather.

I must have heard Sergei Prokofiev's: Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67, a thousand times.

I think my father had a plan.
wink_face.gif

To this day, "Wolf" brings a smile to my face. Thanks dad!!

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #19,460 of 152,846
  My first recollection of music goes back to the basement of our house when I was a small child. My father had set up a basic system, with "record player", and played his music for us as we spent hours and hours, away from the midwestern winter weather.

I must have heard Sergei Prokofiev's: Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67, a thousand times.

Cool! I was just thinking that "Peter and the Wolf" is the record I remember best from my childhood, which my father played on the family record player, a portable that I can still visualize. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #19,461 of 152,846
My first was The Joshua Tree by U2. Don`t remember how old I was but I think 11 maybe 12 years old.

-I can't remember my first album (Probably some Norwegian artist on cassette) - but the first album I remember skipping school to buy on release was U2's Achtung Baby. That would have been late 1991 and me being 13 or so.

I remember our music teacher (whose classroom I had borrowed to give the album a quick listen before returning to class) gave me a hard time for nuking the speakers, courtesy of the Zoo Station intro. Took a couple of listens to figure out it was recorded that way intentionally....

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #19,462 of 152,846
Oh dear...first recollections. Mine are horrible!
Lets see...there is YMCA(which my mom says I really loved to dance to wondering why everyone was laughing their asses off),Fergle Sharky with a Fraction to much friction(best not to google what that was all  about either) and Remember Charly by Billie Joel. Ofcourse being dutch there was Doe Maar and lots more I dont remember well enough to actually name it. I also rember the guy that drove cars through a tunnel and called it music.Somehow that stuck.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #19,463 of 152,846
When I got a stereo as a Christmas gift I got three albums. Van Halen 1984, Genesis Invisble Touch and Phil Collins No Jacket Required. I still have them. I think the first album I bought was Rush Hemispheres, also still in my meager collection.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #19,465 of 152,846
Without fear of dating myself, Moving by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1963 was my first LP played on a Zenith portable with pull down turntable with detachable speakers. Went to college wit h me and replaced with Harman Karman all-in-one receiver/dual 1009(?) turntable. By 75 got the bug and purchased Crown amp and pre-amp with Kenwood turntable and Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers. I get it, I'm old but still love the music.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #19,466 of 152,846

Long lost pictures of me around 3 years of age show me sitting upright on the floor in front of a record player (I don’t recollect the speed; 78 or 33 1/3) listening for hours to Bach’s Toccata and Fugue by the Philadelphia  O. with Stoki at the helm as I played with anything I could get my hands on a take apart so I could “fix” it. The player was made of thin metal and painted like a toy kettle drum. That was my family’s first (row) home on Arizona Street, a short walk to the Strawberry Mansion Bridge, Fairmount Park and Boat House Row.

First record I bought; “Blue Moon” by the Marcels, 1961, 45RPM. Played on the old man’s gi-huge-ic mahogany RCA Victor but only when they were out. Why irritate him more than usual I thought.

First TT I bought was an AR, 1970, after return from service, used with Dynakits PAS and Stereo 70 and KLH 6's. My first real rig. No prize for guessing what my first LP purchase was.

7 decades goes by faster than you can imagine.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #19,468 of 152,846
  Awwww shucks, everybody's getting so nostalgic. Well, you're all in for a treat because now you can finally hear those recordings exactly like they sounded in the studio as the artist intended. Just buy the authenticated MQA mastered recording and play it on MQA hardware.

I think you may be on the wrong thread, doubt you will find many MQA supports here...

popcorn.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #19,469 of 152,846
I have to say I'm kinda disappointed at the replies so far, I was expecting some of you saying you actually were friends at school with Beethoven or some other awesome musician
biggrin.gif

For me...

Hmmm, my oldest musical memories are related to The Beatles (my parents used to play them a lot), She Loves You appears to be the one that I remember the most from those days. The other very vivid song that got stuck in my head since I listened to it for the first time on the radio was Gilbert O'Sullivan's What's in a Kiss. Since it was released in 1980 and I was born in 1975, most probably I was exposed to it when I was 5 or 6 years old.

While today in general I don't appreciate Mr. O'Sullivan's music, that song, plus Alone Again (Naturally) and Claire are ones of my all time favorites old-school pop songs
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back