Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #18,032 of 153,165
Let me offer the title Schinola. Yes I'm old enough to remember the phrase and the misspelling is intentional.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #18,033 of 153,165
Moving on to something not keyboard-related, I'm contemplating an upgrade to the headphone amp for my work desktop. I'm debating between the Vali 2 and the Valhalla 2. Can anyone who had tried them both give me a comparison?

Thanks,
Alan

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #18,034 of 153,165
Moving on to something not keyboard-related, I'm contemplating an upgrade to the headphone amp for my work desktop. I'm debating between the Vali 2 and the Valhalla 2. Can anyone who had tried them both give me a comparison?

Thanks,
Alan

I have both.
If I ever had to ditch one I would keep the Valhalla 2.
The sound is superior to the Vali 2 and (very important) it drives every can you can immagine.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #18,035 of 153,165

Thanks,
Alan

I have both.  Am happy with both.  What would you drive?  Monitors, IEMs, 300 Ohm headphones, ...

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #18,036 of 153,165

Thanks,
Alan

I've owned both, I sold the Valhalla 2 and kept the Vali 2.

I found the Valhalla 2 to be edgy. It had a bite to it. It did have good resolution and soundstage. The Vali 2 also has good resolution, but the soundstage is not as good. I kept the Vali 2 because it has a more mellow and laidback sound. I listen to a lot of music everyday, so I need something that isn't fatiguing. 

The Valhalla with the four tubes also puts out a lot of heat, which was very noticeable here in Florida. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #18,037 of 153,165
  I've owned both, I sold the Valhalla 2 and kept the Vali 2.

I found the Valhalla 2 to be edgy. It had a bite to it. I did have good resolution and soundstage. The Vali 2 also has good resolution, but the soundstage is not as good. I kept the Vali 2 because it has a more mellow and laidback sound. I listen to a lot of music everyday, so I need something that isn't fatiguing. 

The Valhalla with the four tubes also puts out a lot of heat, which was very noticeable here in Florida. 

I concur.
Point is. I like the edgyness of the Valhalla 2.
I have multiple cans and can-amps.
In time I was able to determin a preferred combination for every  kind of music I listen to.
And that (I must admit) is a highly subjective determination.
If you're interested I can name the combinations, and the kind of music they play, for you.
But be aware it is my subjective vision.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #18,040 of 153,165

I have both.  Am happy with both.  What would you drive?  Monitors, IEMs, 300 Ohm headphones, ...

Same here, I have Both Amps depending on the cans you are driving either will work. Tube Rolling also gives you some freedom to tailor to your needs.

I agree with the statement that The Soundstage on the Vali 2 is a bit closed in when compared to the Valhalla 2. I rolled a few different tubes into the Valhalla 2 and found that Mid 70's Voshkod Rockets 6N1P-EV  with Gold Grids are a bit warm and to my liking as they take the "edge" off a bit. I actually run this tube in My Vali 2 as well.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #18,041 of 153,165
  Same here, I have Both Amps depending on the cans you are driving either will work. Tube Rolling also gives you some freedom to tailor to your needs.

I agree with the statement that The Soundstage on the Vali 2 is a bit closed in when compared to the Valhalla 2. I rolled a few different tubes into the Valhalla 2 and found that Mid 70's Voshkod Rockets 6N1P-EV  with Gold Grids are a bit warm and to my liking as they take the "edge" off a bit. I actually run this tube in My Vali 2 as well.

Same here, I find that either may be tailored, by tube choice, to suit you and your gear.  Vali 2 is a hybrid amp and Valhalla 2 is OTL, so not apples to apples.  Vali 2 is great for tube exploration since there is only one tube to consider, plus it is easy to adapt to 6SN7 tubes for even more fun :).  My Vali 2 is into 6SN7s and loving it.

Ain't this Schiit fun,
JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #18,042 of 153,165

Same here, I find that either may be tailored, by tube choice, to suit you and your gear.  Vali 2 is a hybrid amp and Valhalla 2 is OTL, so not apples to apples.  Vali 2 is great for tube exploration since there is only one tube to consider, plus it is easy to adapt to 6SN7 tubes for even more fun :).  My Vali 2 is into 6SN7s and loving it.

Ain't this Schiit fun,
JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Economy wise Vali 2 is the way to go. The nice thing about both amps is they have been out with enough time that you can get a general idea of what tubes work well based on other peoples experiences. The 6SN7 in the Vali 2 is intriguing. How does it differ from using the standard tube variety that works in the Vali 2? 

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #18,043 of 153,165
Hi, this is my first post here. I just wanted to say how enjoyable I find Schiit Happened. A fascinating read. Ordered my first piece of Schiit today, a Sys.

I'm waiting for the Vidal to be launched, so I can place an order. Next will be a Saga.

Greetings from the Lovely North of England.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #18,044 of 153,165

cozzi, thanks.

purehifi192, I've been listening with an original Vali using 250 ohm DT-150 and DT-250 over-the-ear headphones. The new office environment has even more background noise than the previous location, and eyeglasses interfere with the headphone seal, so I want to try some IEMs to see if I can get more isolation from the environment. I also need to give up the headphone weight for awhile, due to neck/upper-back issues.

RickB, the heat isn't a worry for me, but the edginess/possibly fatiguing aspects would be a concern. When I'm trying to concentrate on a project I let the player pull albums at random, listening across a lot of classical, jazz, big band, vocals ... If it gets fatiguing it will somewhat defeat the purpose of blocking out the world.

bigro, did you purchase "Mid-70's Voshkod Rockets 6N1P-EV with Gold Grids" from a vendor who tested for matching/low-noise/etc, or go the eBay route? They don't seem to be an expensive tube in the eBay world, but I don't have equipment to test and match. Taking the edge off might just be the ticket.

Thanks again everybody.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #18,045 of 153,165

cozzi, thanks.

purehifi192, I've been listening with an original Vali using 250 ohm DT-150 and DT-250 over-the-ear headphones. The new office environment has even more background noise than the previous location, and eyeglasses interfere with the headphone seal, so I want to try some IEMs to see if I can get more isolation from the environment. I also need to give up the headphone weight for awhile, due to neck/upper-back issues.

Thanks again everybody.

Vali 2 is totally acceptable here.  And if necessary can drive the 250 ohms in an office environment.  Others mileage may vary.  Valhalla 2 is a great amp; maybe overkill for what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back