Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #18,061 of 155,181
  If we like talking about Keyboards here as OT I am about to get a Realforce AEAX01, have cherry MX Brown in my Ducky Shine 5 at the moment and this will be my first try of Topre switches 
wink.gif

I've had a Realforce for the past few years. I wish they made the new RGB version in FIN/SWE layout. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #18,062 of 155,181

I've had a Realforce for the past few years. I wish they made the new RGB version in FIN/SWE layout. 

How do you find them compared to Cherry MX switches? I am not too bad with the RGB version because I don't use any special characters but I can imagine not having them for the Scandinavian languages would be a pain.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #18,063 of 155,181
I am shopping for a new mechanical keyboard too, I may go for a Cherry Red or Brown as I will be typing/coding a lot more but don't like the clickiness that can distract me from my music (hey, I invested quite a bit in my Mimby and Project Ember for a reason! :wink: )

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #18,065 of 155,181
  Noise cancelling headphones are effective for HVAC noise. Look at Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-1000X.

rkw, I was considering that route, but there seemed to be a lot of negative comments about them on Head-Fi and other forums (effectiveness, audible or felt(?) low-frequency artifacts, reliability issues, etc).  I'll revisit the products for another look, thanks.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #18,067 of 155,181

rkw, I was considering that route, but there seemed to be a lot of negative comments about them on Head-Fi and other forums (effectiveness, audible or felt(?) low-frequency artifacts, reliability issues, etc).  I'll revisit the products for another look, thanks.

You mention all the reasons why I don't use them.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #18,068 of 155,181
Mar 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #18,069 of 155,181
  Noise cancelling headphones are effective for HVAC noise. Look at Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-1000X.

Your situation is just about ideal for noise cancellation effectiveness — sitting static with steady droning noises like HVAC. Definitely you should give them a try.

The other option is high isolation, deep insertion IEMs like the Etymotic reviewed today. But you need to be comfortable with deep insertion:
Quote:
The ER•4 series in-ears need to be inserted really deep, passing the ear canals’ second bend, else the sound is likely incorrect. This might be irritating or even slightly painful at first if you aren’t used to in-ears that are inserted as deep, however I have no problem with this and don’t experience any pain at all.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #18,070 of 155,181

Nowhere near as active as this thread!

But then, I doubt if many are.

In fact, does anyone know if there are threads on Head-fi with more posts than this one?

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide is at 38000 posts.

There are a couple of threads on head-fi specifically for keyboards:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/305369/keyboards
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484377/keyboard-fi

Do they go off-topic as often as this thread?

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #18,071 of 155,181

Your situation is just about ideal for noise cancellation effectiveness — sitting static with steady droning noises like HVAC. Definitely you should give them a try.

The other option is high isolation, deep insertion IEMs like the Etymotic reviewed today. But you need to be comfortable with deep insertion:

As an MD I always vote against deep inserting anything in human ears.
And this is no joke.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #18,074 of 155,181
  Coming back at the Ragnarok:
If you cross the input (rca out of phase), which I did (stupid, stupid, ignorant  man) Grace Jones sounds like a duck.

Thank you for conducting this all-important listening test on our behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back