Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #18,001 of 155,187
Well spotted Valiant.

Not to begin the quiz, but what's happening with the most mysterious long awaited [REDACTED]? Will it be on display at the SoCanJam?

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #18,002 of 155,187
Well spotted Valiant.

Not to begin the quiz, but what's happening with the most mysterious long awaited [REDACTED]? Will it be on display at the SoCanJam?

If we knew, it wouldn't be [REDACTED]! :)  Except for a monumental project that Mike/Baldr is cooking up, Schiit is reluctant to unwilling to talk about future products.  Bad Things Happen when you get ahead of events.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #18,004 of 155,187

The real question, I think, for those of us that have read all the way through: what was your favourite sidetrack?

That's a heck of a good question. (Verging on a pop quiz.)

Since "sidetrack" explicitly disallows anything directly related to the posts by Jason Stoddard, off the top of my head I'd say:

(1) we had a lot of fun using [redacted] some eons ago (edit: which still pops up periodically, as in 2 posts previous to this) 
and
(2) the bashing and piling-on of MQA. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #18,005 of 155,187
Originally Posted by DougD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a heck of a good question. (Verging on a pop quiz.)

Since "sidetrack" explicitly disallows anything directly related to the posts by Jason Stoddard, off the top of my head I'd say:

(1) we had a lot of fun using [redacted] some eons ago (edit: which still pops up periodically, as in 2 posts previous to this) 
and
(2) the bashing and piling-on of MQA. 

Those are both pretty recent. I still shudder when I think back on the sidetrack about keeping the wife happy... so not exactly a favourite, but memorable.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #18,006 of 155,187

Those are both pretty recent. I still shudder when I think back on the sidetrack about keeping the wife happy... so not exactly a favourite, but memorable.

True. 

But my brain is kinda like a colon, I have to keep pumping old stuff out so there's space for the new stuff. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #18,008 of 155,187
The real question, I think, for those of us that have read all the way through: what was your favourite sidetrack?

There once was a week-long discussion about keyboards on this thread.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #18,010 of 155,187
  2017, Chapter 4:
Deprogramming

Welcome, comrades!

Welcome to this wonderful new age of audio glasnost!

Deprogramming Part Four: Damping Drivel  
Progandists like to blather on about “damping,” even when it is criminally misapplied—and, of course, there are never any numbers to back up the claims. There are many classes of products where damping is absolutely critical—products such as speakers, headphones, and turntables. In other words, products that move.

When something moves, damping becomes an important metric. You wouldn’t want to have a speaker made out of 22-gauge sheet steel, because they’d literally ring like a bell and sound awful. Similarly, you wouldn’t want a turntable platter made from carbon fiber, because you’d rather have a lot of mass to smooth out any variations in speed, as well as to help provide an inert platform for the record. That’s why you tend to see thick walls on speakers, internal damping applied to headphones, and massive turntables. Damping is important for these products.

For a product that just, well, sits there? Not so much, comrade.

Putting a DAC in a CNC lead billet enclosure will do approximately zero for its performance. Wrapping that same DAC entirely in sorbothane (a damping compound) again, will do pretty much nothing. Same goes for an amp, a preamp, or pretty much any kind of electronic component. Despite this, propagandists frequently go on about features such as “isolation feet,” or “CAD-designed nonresonant chassis.”

So, here’s the quick summary:

1. For products that move: damping is important. Manufacturers know this, and may be able to provide quantitative data on how they have damped their products. If not, the informal “knuckle rap” test on speakers to hear how “dead” they are provides some information about damping. In terms of turntables, physical and material construction provides clues—heavy metal platters and plinths usually are better than thin plastic, for example.
  2. For products that don’t move: damping is not important. This includes products that are moved, such as portable devices. If they don’t have a spinning or vibrating component, damping doesn’t really matter.*

*Really. Even though some ceramic capacitors can have piezoelectric properties (that is, they generate voltage when vibrated or squeezed), the magnitude of this effect is tiny in proportion to the voltages involved, and will be obviated through the impedance of the overall power supply, as well as the circuit’s inherent PSRR.

Thanks Jason, great read as always. Caution though may be in order. Look what perestroika did to Gorbachev
biggrin.gif

You touch on quite a few good points particularly with regard to balanced and the new wave of mania sweeping through the trade over that word. Some disambiguation was long needed there.

Damping has become another buzzword.  Oft used rarely understood. Much like the audio perversion of the meaning of "microphonics" which you almost touch on with the capacitor info up there.

Damping an inert mass makes about as much sense as putting shock absorbers on Plymouth Rock.

Just as an aside and with the spirit of "We work to rules and deal with exceptions"  The Royd Eden, perhaps one of the best bookshelf speakers ever conceived used steel lining inside the cabinet:)

Now. While on vacation design up a true Audiophile Switching ps for the masses
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #18,011 of 155,187

​This thread is the most on-topic I have ever seen, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #18,014 of 155,187

Users who are viewing this thread

Back