Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #13,819 of 150,739
I have mixed feelings about Jasons last post.
Calling market research "guesswork" is very strange if I consider I have called the demise of the last 15 big over hyped products in the world for a few solid years (one example was google glass when I first saw it, I said it would never hit the stores).

I know that not every company understands what market research is (and some just dont have the funds to perform one), but in this case, in head-fi, you have a niche group of people who are interested specifically in the products your produce for a niche market. Where you have a very easy way to perform a group test, focus group,etc; if you know the target questions to ask before to know who is a potential customer that you are aiming for.

Hell, you can even find threads dedicated to brainstorming ideas that are specifically dedicated to the niche market your company targets.

Now, of course not everyone who says they will buy the [Redacted] (I think thats what people use when they mean future product), they can totally be only saying so, and thats why you dont blindly follow the numbers but analyze them and confirm the interviewed individual with "trick questions" to confirm their honesty.

What is more important, bringing the iPhone as an example of how market research is a flawed technique is very misleading:
iPhone popularity has almost nothing to do with product quality (if you think it does, dont forget thats the same company that decided Beats were a good investment), and almost everything to do with social status.
It is the same example as buying a ferrari in a town where you are always in traffic jams (lets not forget that the functionality of an iPhone is extremely limited).

Talking about the iPhone as a comparable product to something like a dac or an amp ... well, its like comparing a National bank of a country to a grocery store and saying the grocery store can learn a lot about finance from the bank.

When I started this post I said "I have mixed feelings", and this is because the products and the approach of schiit audio are still great. I find it hard to understand that Jason would even think about defending their policies or products at this point. It just feels like the products speak for themselves... kinda best marketing you can have.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #13,820 of 150,739
We just need high resolution files. I will be happy to have them printed on canvas for that classy look.

I'll see what I can do--problem is, most of them are sized for 11x17" table graphics, not for giant posters. 

A preview of the new Stereophile ad (January.) Not as fun as the ape, but it gets the point across.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 3, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #13,824 of 150,739
Calling market research "guesswork" is very strange if I consider I have called the demise of the last 15 big over hyped products in the world for a few solid years (one example was google glass when I first saw it, I said it would never hit the stores).

I wasn't sure either on first blush, but I think I took a different opinion. There's a blend of truth and humour in his response, so I didn't take it entirely literally. As said in a previous post, I'm a product manager, not a marketing executive so please take this as a humble opinion or understanding.

Market research tells you the way things are moving right now. Right now being the key bit there to me. You know what people say they want right now, because they are only too keen to tell you. You know what your competitors have out right now too, because, well, they advertise. But you don't often know what they are working on.

Will people have the same opinion at the time of product launch? If you've engaged with them well enough and I think Jason does,then yes. But do you know what people want in a years time? I.e. will their needs change? You have to tell them in a lot of cases, and as Jason said, have a bit of a guess. Your guess should be backed up with some good engagement, USPs that you think your market will appreciate and a schiit hot price.

Rob
Sat on train, currently enjoying my dt770s drowning out the world, but dreaming of mobile schiit.

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #13,826 of 150,739

I know that not every company understands what market research is (and some just dont have the funds to perform one), but in this case, in head-fi, you have a niche group of people who are interested specifically in the products your produce for a niche market. Where you have a very easy way to perform a group test, focus group,etc; if you know the target questions to ask before to know who is a potential customer that you are aiming for.

Hell, you can even find threads dedicated to brainstorming ideas that are specifically dedicated to the niche market your company targets.

Now, of course not everyone who says they will buy the [Redacted] (I think thats what people use when they mean future product), they can totally be only saying so, and thats why you dont blindly follow the numbers but analyze them and confirm the interviewed individual with "trick questions" to confirm their honesty.

What is more important, bringing the iPhone as an example of how market research is a flawed technique is very misleading:
iPhone popularity has almost nothing to do with product quality (if you think it does, dont forget thats the same company that decided Beats were a good investment), and almost everything to do with social status.
It is the same example as buying a ferrari in a town where you are always in traffic jams (lets not forget that the functionality of an iPhone is extremely limited).

Talking about the iPhone as a comparable product to something like a dac or an amp ... well, its like comparing a National bank of a country to a grocery store and saying the grocery store can learn a lot about finance from the bank.

When I started this post I said "I have mixed feelings", and this is because the products and the approach of schiit audio are still great. I find it hard to understand that Jason would even think about defending their policies or products at this point. It just feels like the products speak for themselves... kinda best marketing you can have.

There are a lot of assumptions in this post, and I'm not buying most of them.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #13,829 of 150,739
11x17 is good for me. We will put it on a small wall.

I like the new ad. Very classy. At the risk of tweeking you though, it is a bit conservative.

I Like it a lot too, It looks like it belongs in stereophile. After Seeing the Ape Schiit and Pig In Schiit., For the 2 Channel Gear I was half expecting seeing King Kong and Godzilla.  Or...

dino.jpg
dino.jpg

dino.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back